danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Living in Fairbanks, I routinely shift in and out of 4H at speed. Usually only need it around town at the lights and on on-ramps, but once you get in a parking lot or on the highway, you don’t—turning ability and just not required being the reasons. That said, last year, the highway was made of ice, so I might have left it in, but still drive around 50 or so. Seems odd, but there’s a decent amount of grip due to the rock they put on the road. I’m from Arizona, too.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
OK, I can understand somewhat !!

when i spend time in Ca. during the winter--no problem--2H all the time, but when I'm in Nv. during the winter months--after the snow hits, I can just leave my JK/JL in 4wd and-

That's only because I don't have to drive on a hiwy--

I use my RAM for that and 4wd(AUTO) makes it trouble free !

Thanks guys-

JIMBO

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
YUP, that's what I do when there is snow on the streets--

Just be EXTRA CAREFUL if ice has formed and if it's icy/plowed, you may be safer to take her outta 4wd, unless you're using chains/studded tires-

Good luck

JIMBO
This post is what I’ve been looking for...new first time Jeep owner here, ‘19 Rubi w manual. 35” fuel beasts and Cooper STT pros. Been waiting in NJ for bad weather to try her out and yesterday was super icy/sleety/slushy so I did. Zero problems shifting into 4H BUT as I was backing out of parking spot in gym and also at grocery store, I noticed much difficulty engaging the wheels in first gear, and grinding when I turned the wheels at very low speed also. I actually was alarmed and thought something was wrong so I shifted back into 2H. I know we aren’t supposed to use 4H on *dry* pavement, but is my situation as I’ve described normal or expected? Should I just keep it in 2H until I get have need for 4H ie get stuck? Thank you so much for replies and yes, I’m a noob and I know it. :)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
TRY TO KEEP ANY TURNS , SLOW GRADUAL--Yeh, if it's slushy/icy--you're safer and better off in 2hi and SLOW--

It'll be easier to correct a rear end swing, than trying to stop/correct a 4wd induced slide and having it in 2hi, you'll feel the need to drive more careful/slow--

When in 4wd try to NEVER TURN RIGHT/LEFT--EXTREME--'that'll ruin/wear the UNIVERSALS ON FRONT AXLES--try to make turns slow/gradual--I know, that's a PITA, BUT we gotta except it-

Good luck

JIMBO

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my new JL Sport! Having previously owned a Cherokee Trailhawk (4wh kicked in automatically) and a Liberty (would flip a digital switch), this is my first Wrangler (Command-Trac). While 4h works great, it takes a very hard pull to get it into 4h. Is this normal for Wranglers or should I be concerned?

This is my first post but I've lurked on the forums here for a while. Thanks for the help!
Mine also but it seems to get easier as you use it. A few extra times a year will not harm it.

Sponsored

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
TRY TO KEEP ANY TURNS , SLOW GRADUAL--Yeh, if it's slushy/icy--you're safer and better off in 2hi and SLOW--

It'll be easier to correct a rear end swing, than trying to stop/correct a 4wd induced slide and having it in 2hi, you'll feel the need to drive more careful/slow--

When in 4wd try to NEVER TURN RIGHT/LEFT--EXTREME--'that'll ruin/wear the UNIVERSALS ON FRONT AXLES--try to make turns slow/gradual--I know, that's a PITA, BUT we gotta except it-

Good luck

JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo! Appreciate it.

cdierks215

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
Finally got my new JL Sport! Having previously owned a Cherokee Trailhawk (4wh kicked in automatically) and a Liberty (would flip a digital switch), this is my first Wrangler (Command-Trac). While 4h works great, it takes a very hard pull to get it into 4h. Is this normal for Wranglers or should I be concerned?

This is my first post but I've lurked on the forums here for a while. Thanks for the help!
I had the same issue with my JLUS and I called the dealer, and they assured me it was normal...now I am having a ton of issues with my Jeep. I recommend taking it to the dealer just to be safe and to avoid further possible damage.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue with my JLUS and I called the dealer, and they assured me it was normal...now I am having a ton of issues with my Jeep. I recommend taking it to the dealer just to be safe and to avoid further possible damage.
After the first few times shifting into and out of 4Hi it should get much easier on you. what other issues are you having?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I was told the same thing by the dealer. It eases up with use.

paulrubin3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Safari
Just flat towed my 2018 Wrangler JL (bought in Nov) from NJ to Georgia and back. Getting it in and out of neutral is a bitch following the steps in the manual. Discovered I could better get it into neutral from 4H but shifting on the move first and then using 4H to position myself behind the motorhome rather than 2H. But to get back out of Neutral can take me 15-20 minutes of feeling I'm going to break the thing. So there's a perfect example of not being in motion and needing to move the transfer case. So what's the trick? Bringing it into Jeep Thursday for them to check it out to make sure it's adjusted right and hopefully for them to show me how to do it better. I have enough on my head driving a motorhome and towing something. The Wrangler was bought because it's supposed to be easier to flat tow, not a god damn pain in the ass.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just flat towed my 2018 Wrangler JL (bought in Nov) from NJ to Georgia and back. Getting it in and out of neutral is a bitch following the steps in the manual. Discovered I could better get it into neutral from 4H but shifting on the move first and then using 4H to position myself behind the motorhome rather than 2H. But to get back out of Neutral can take me 15-20 minutes of feeling I'm going to break the thing. So there's a perfect example of not being in motion and needing to move the transfer case. So what's the trick? Bringing it into Jeep Thursday for them to check it out to make sure it's adjusted right and hopefully for them to show me how to do it better. I have enough on my head driving a motorhome and towing something. The Wrangler was bought because it's supposed to be easier to flat tow, not a god damn pain in the ass.
The more you do it the easier it gets. Mine pops in and out of 4Hi easily because I've done it plenty of times, but going into 4Lo is still a pain because I've only needed it a handful of times.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
In Europe it's a bit easier. The Rubicon comes standard with Roc-trac combined with selec-trac. So, the D44 in front has CV joints. Not as strong as u-joints, but we do not have things like Moab here.
The plus side is, you can drive around all day, every day in 4wd auto and it won't hurt anything. In city driving I tend to use 2hi as it seems a bit zippier.

paulrubin3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Safari
The more you do it the easier it gets. Mine pops in and out of 4Hi easily because I've done it plenty of times, but going into 4Lo is still a pain because I've only needed it a handful of times.
I’m not complaining it’s difficult. I’m complaining that I can’t do it period except by accident. I hooked it up the day I left, day 2, day 7 and day 8 and it was 15-20+ minutes of struggling to get into neutral all but day 8 when I tried going into 4H while moving and then going into neutral while in position. Unhooking and getting out of neutral every time was just as impossible. And I’ve seen 3 others try and it took them 5 minutes of struggling as well and all claimed that their own Jeep WAS NEVER EVER this difficult to shift while motionless from day 1. At the moment, I’m going to have the local dealer check it out this week and push them to get someone to show me directly. It didn’t come up during the salesman run through. Maybe getting into 4H while driving under 50, but nothing about when motionless. I need to at least know my specific wrangler isn’t the problem because what I”m doing now is almost certainly going to break something.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not complaining it’s difficult. I’m complaining that I can’t do it period except by accident. I hooked it up the day I left, day 2, day 7 and day 8 and it was 15-20+ minutes of struggling to get into neutral all but day 8 when I tried going into 4H while moving and then going into neutral while in position. Unhooking and getting out of neutral every time was just as impossible. And I’ve seen 3 others try and it took them 5 minutes of struggling as well and all claimed that their own Jeep WAS NEVER EVER this difficult to shift while motionless from day 1. At the moment, I’m going to have the local dealer check it out this week and push them to get someone to show me directly. It didn’t come up during the salesman run through. Maybe getting into 4H while driving under 50, but nothing about when motionless. I need to at least know my specific wrangler isn’t the problem because what I”m doing now is almost certainly going to break something.
Your transmission is in neutral when you're moving your transfer case to neutral right?

paulrubin3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Safari
Your transmission is in neutral when you're moving your transfer case to neutral right?
Yes, after flat towing, the engine is started, the AT is changed from Park to Neutral. Engine is shut down. And then the fun begins as I try to get the Transfer Case out of Neutral into anything. Eventually I succeed but never in less than 7-10 minutes of trying and often longer.
Sponsored