Sponsored

Service bulletin on steering problem.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Currently at Diehl Jeep in Coraopolis PA and they don't want to do another alignment again they said because another Jeep Dealr put the lift on? @JeepCares Mark says $110 alignment isn't going to help anything.... Still waiting on my TSB parts in Atlanta where my parts are on order.... Grrr Jeep...
Sponsored

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
The dealership changed my steering gear box out,but it feels the same.
I donā€™t know if it helps but I say be patient because FCA did tell me that thereā€™s going to be a recall on certain jeeps because the steering gear Has to be replaced.
The dealership changed my steering gear box out,but it feels the same.
I donā€™t know if it helps but FCA told me that the delay in fixing my jeep is because thereā€™s going to be a national recall because of the steering issues. I can tell you that the two safety recalls that FCS told me about MY JEEP are U48 and NHSTA 18-V-343.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I donā€™t know if it helps but FCA told me that the delay in fixing my jeep is because thereā€™s going to be a national recall because of the steering issues. I can tell you that the two safety recalls that FCS told me about MY JEEP are U48 and NHSTA 18-V-343.
Darin, those/that recall doesn't involve a change to a steel box, is from 2018 and only applies to 500 or so jeeps built over two days in 2018. Google for more info.

Later,
Johnny

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Many of us including myself had to bring our case to the dealership or "justify" the honor of receiving one of these coveted improved steering boxes under warranty. Then had to wait an additional month+ for the parts to come in under their restricted allotment program.

However, that being said after install this new steering gear greatly improved my steering issues (wandering, dead spot etc).

Note: prior to this TSB, I had already replaced original track bar, v41 stabilizer installed, power steering recalibration TSB applied., reduced tire PSI, full alignment and so on...

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I was just told that the new redesigned steering box has been redesigned again. Anyone else hear that?

OP
OP

rsmit42

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was just told that the new redesigned steering box has been redesigned again. Anyone else hear that?
Havenā€™t heard that. I waited about a month for the replacement part,and it feels the same. I can handle it,but my wife and daughter hate it. Have to take another day off for the dealership to evaluate the problem,and probably another day off for them to install any other parts they may need to change.

Evzo

First Name
E.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
62CORVETTE-56CADILLAC SDV
Clubs

Took my Jeep JL Unlimited to dealership about my steering. The service rep told me it qualified for the new parts,but Jeep is only shipping every 2-3 weeks on the steering parts. Called Jeep,filed a complaint,and got a case number. Now,waiting on a supervisor to call me back. Kind of stupid,if the dealership request the parts,then they should be shipped. If their is a problem with supply,let me know. BTW,the only way I knew their was a bulletin on this problem, was because of this forum.
Hello.

Thanks to this forum i have improved ownership and warranty issues regarding my jeep JLUR2018.
I was told by dealership services department the "kit" would be in by December!! do to reasons stated above. I called jeep care and got a case number today. This was also advice by the services department, he gave me a dealer code 60597 (store number) and provide to "JeepCares" along with last 8 of vin and contact info.

What's next?
According to my services adviser: "jeepCares" could expedite the parts or not! hahaha.
My jeep has been in the services lot since the 7th of this month. 1.- Rust issues in the right side of the hood , about the sizes of a dime. 3 days to get approved repairs. 2.- defroster issue. And the famous 3.-steering issue.
JLUR2018
22Kmiles.

OP
OP

rsmit42

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello.

Thanks to this forum i have improved ownership and warranty issues regarding my jeep JLUR2018.
I was told by dealership services department the "kit" would be in by December!! do to reasons stated above. I called jeep care and got a case number today. This was also advice by the services department, he gave me a dealer code 60597 (store number) and provide to "JeepCares" along with last 8 of vin and contact info.

What's next?
According to my services adviser: "jeepCares" could expedite the parts or not! hahaha.
My jeep has been in the services lot since the 7th of this month. 1.- Rust issues in the right side of the hood , about the sizes of a dime. 3 days to get approved repairs. 2.- defroster issue. And the famous 3.-steering issue.
JLUR2018
22Kmiles.
I did the same thing,case number and all. Could not expedite the part. When dealership got the part,they called and we set up a time for me to bring it in. Long story short,they replaced the steering box,and it feels the same.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
My 2019 was pretty bad.
My 2020 is even worse.
HOPEFULLY the 2021 I just ordered yesterday will finally have whatever the magic combination is.
I'm obviously not expecting razor-like steering, but both of the JL's I've had have a ridiculously large dead spot/play and wonder all of the place. It's almost like driving a cat at high speed when approaching any sort of bend in the road at speed. Turn the wheel a little to start the turn, let off and let the wheels "set", then turn the wheel after they're set and make the turn.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rsmit42

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 was pretty bad.
My 2020 is even worse.
HOPEFULLY the 2021 I just ordered yesterday will finally have whatever the magic combination is.
I'm obviously not expecting razor-like steering, but both of the JL's I've had have a ridiculously large dead spot/play and wonder all of the place. It's almost like driving a cat at high speed when approaching any sort of bend in the road at speed. Turn the wheel a little to start the turn, let off and let the wheels "set", then turn the wheel after they're set and make the turn.
Exactly how mine feels.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
It's almost like driving a cat at high speed when approaching any sort of bend in the road at speed. Turn the wheel a little to start the turn, let off and let the wheels "set", then turn the wheel after they're set and make the turn.
I slowed down to 50/55 mph when approaching curves on the freeway itā€™s effin dangerous!! I was terrified of side swiping a car and driving next to trucks was terrifying because they take up so much space :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I called Jeep Cares about mine as I have the aluminum box, and they ended up saying the (steel) diesel box isn't available yet, but will be the first quarter of 21. Dealership is supposed to call me when they receive the part(s). We'll see...

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I drove my sonā€˜s 18 JLUS and it does have a lot of play but I have no real reference if this is Jeep normal or abnormal.

not to be a jerk, but wife considering a Jeep JLUS or Bronco. Seems like these threads at this point in time seems to make the decision easier though I am sure the Bronco will have its share of problems. .

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2019 was pretty bad.
My 2020 is even worse.
I have a 2021JLUR with the factory black steel gearbox. The Jeep drives pretty much like any other suv on the road in terms of steering. On the freeway, however, it does still wander a little bit and I find myself occasionally having to steer the jeep back into the center of the lane. It happens most when a semi or other large truck drives past me in the adjacent lane, causing my jeep the move to the opposite direction enough for me to have to recenter it. Other than that, it is dead straight and once centered I donā€™t need to keep adjusting the steering wheel constantly.

So yeah, still not ā€˜perfectā€™ but I believe itā€™s better than the reports I have read on forums from many JL owners whose Jeeps constantly wander and require consistent adjustment throughout the entire drive, at any speed.
Sponsored