OP

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I started a thread a few months ago about this too. In 4L, climbing a very steep, snowy mountain section at very low speed, there was this grinding coming from what seemed like the front left axle.. And you could feel it too on your foot on the gas pedal...

It was the ABS kicking in for whatever reason.. I can't remember now lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Did the dealer fix this or was there some ABS setting adjustment to resolve it?

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Try turning traction control off. Long shot but going over bumps could cause the wheels to spin at different speeds, sway the jeep and trigger stability control to kick in. Stability control uses ABS to manipulate wheel speed. Let us know if it works.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I thought stability control was turned off when you were in 4L, but I could be mistaken.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I brought it in for the second time a few days ago and they called me this morning and said they took out another brand new 2021 and it was doing the same thing again and from what jeep told them it’s the abs engaging and slowing the wheel down. I found another thread on here where other people are having the same issue. it’s under the warranty and repair section
We're sorry to hear that your concerns have not been resolved! If you are in need of additional support while in service, please feel free to reach out to our team via private messages.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Rubicon53

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlur
My dealer called me back yesterday and said they had a fix for it. I guess when your in 4lo hold down the traction control button for 5 seconds and it’s supposed to make a chime noise and keep the ABS from grabbing. I tried it today and didn’t hear any chime noise and the ABS was still making the grinding noise. I will have to stop by the dealer this coming weekend so they can show me what their talking about

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...said they had a fix for it....
This is described on page 152 of my 2020 Wrangler JL owners manual as a subset of the Safety Features > Electronic Stability Control instructions.

You may find that the detailed steps in your specific manual ( it may be on a different page for your manual ) suggests how to disengage the system effectively.

"Full Off — If Equipped
The “Full Off” mode is intended for off-highway
or off-road use only and should not be used on
any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC
features are turned off. To enter the “Full Off”
mode, push and hold the “ESC OFF” switch for
five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with
the engine running. After five seconds, a chime
will sound, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will
illuminate, and the “ESC Off” message will
display in the instrument cluster. To turn ESC on
again, momentarily push the “ESC OFF” switch.
NOTE:
System may switch from ESC “Full Off” to
“Partial Off” mode when vehicle exceeds a
predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed
slows below the predetermined speed the
system will return to ESC “Full Off”.
ESC modes may also be affected by drive
modes (if equipped)."

OP
OP

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I wonder if the new Off Road + mode in 4L would have any effect on the grinding noise. Has anyone tried this?

OP
OP

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
...I believe this mode just became avail in the 2021 Rubicon (which I have) and Gladiator.

Sponsored

Rubicon53

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlur
This is described on page 152 of my 2020 Wrangler JL owners manual as a subset of the Safety Features > Electronic Stability Control instructions.

You may find that the detailed steps in your specific manual ( it may be on a different page for your manual ) suggests how to disengage the system effectively.

"Full Off — If Equipped
The “Full Off” mode is intended for off-highway
or off-road use only and should not be used on
any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC
features are turned off. To enter the “Full Off”
mode, push and hold the “ESC OFF” switch for
five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with
the engine running. After five seconds, a chime
will sound, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will
illuminate, and the “ESC Off” message will
display in the instrument cluster. To turn ESC on
again, momentarily push the “ESC OFF” switch.
NOTE:
System may switch from ESC “Full Off” to
“Partial Off” mode when vehicle exceeds a
predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed
slows below the predetermined speed the
system will return to ESC “Full Off”.
ESC modes may also be affected by drive
modes (if equipped)."
Jeep Wrangler JL Scraping sound under driver's side offroading C3088A01-9049-4E9F-80C1-ECC37C7842A2
Which one is the esc button? The button I was pushing is the car with two wavy line which I assume is the traction control

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes, there is a picture of that symbol where the instructions continue on page 153, where it also explains:

"The ESC system will make buzzing or clicking
sounds when it is active. This is normal; the
sounds will stop when ESC becomes inactive
following the maneuver that caused the ESC
activation"

NoGas

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL 2Dr, 13 Fiat 500 Pop & 04 Wanderlodge M380
Occupation
Retired
In my 2021 Wrangler Owners Manual pages 295-305: There is a Safety Features section that covers ABS, EBC, EBD, ERM, ESC, HDC, HSA, RBS, RAB, SSC and TSC. Wow, I didn’t realize “HAL” was driving this Jeep!! If you are confused about all these 3 letter systems, join the club. After my first readthrough, it’s definitely easy to see how this scraping noise in 4Lo could be caused by one of these sub systems. Left a message for Jeep Cares. Hopefully they can figure out the cause of this scraping sound and offer a definitive solution. Will certainly experiment with turning OFF some of these “features” the next time I head out in 4Lo. Also, posted this video with the scraping sound in another thread about the same issue - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oise-in-4wd-on-brand-new-rubicon.38538/page-6 (post #78)

Last edited:

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
In my 2021 Wrangler Owners Manual pages 295-305: There is a Safety Features section that covers ABS, EBC, EBD, ERM, ESC, HDC, HSA, RBS, RAB, SSC and TSC. Wow, I didn’t realize “HAL” was driving this Jeep!! If you are confused about all these 3 letter systems, join the club. After my first readthrough, it’s definitely easy to see how this scraping noise in 4Lo could be caused by one of these sub systems. Left a message for Jeep Cares. Hopefully they can figure out the cause of this scraping sound and offer a definitive solution. Will certainly experiment with turning OFF some of these “features” the next time I head out in 4Lo. Also, posted this video with the scraping sound in another thread about the same issue - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oise-in-4wd-on-brand-new-rubicon.38538/page-6 (post #78)
Did you ever receive a response? I’ve experienced this same noise, I will try disabling as many electronic “nannies” as I can but it’s certainly strange that Jeep hasn’t thoroughly explained whether the noise is normal or not.
Sponsored