Sponsored

scared about issues I've been reading about

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
You are on a Jeep forum, complaining about how expensive and terrible Jeeps are and that a Subaru is a better deal and will suffice for your families needs. I am saying congrats on your choice and that I am glad you are not joining the Jeep family because you would be one of the ones on here complaining.
If I ever categorize myself as family to a vehicle , shoot me. I'm on the fence getting a wrangler JL. I'm not married to a Subaru either, get a grip. I wrote nothing about Jeep Wrangler JL being terrible, please quote that for us. Over priced, yes, and I'll stand by that. My observation is you pay dear for one, when other vehicles out there appear better value. The comments were intended to coincide with the OP's topic, being the JL is pricey and exhibiting some catastrophic problems for some. I kind of think being able to steer at 60mph is something people expect not to fail. OP has already ordered one, so I kind of don't get the post to begin with. I believe OP read the issues before ordering. Why not dis-invite her to your family too..:giggle:

My goodness, it amazes me how some anthropomorphize an object into that of a spouse or child being critiqued. I saw a Wrangler couple days ago listed at over $47k, being offered at slightly under $39K, plus $299 preperation fee, tax and tags. These MSRP's seem really inflated, another thing to consider when buying. It was a gray Sahara nicely equipped, with Selec Trac. If I actually lived where there were no paved roads and rugged terrain I needed to traverse daily, then I could justify the expense and vehicle better perhaps. Maybe that is indeed the majority of people on this board. I agree with a previous comment though, that many jeeps sold probably never see conditions not traversable by most 4wd / awd vehicles. You'd be amazed how many pristine looking wranglers roam the DC metropolitan streets.

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
What’s all this about? Just practicing the conversation with your wife?:cwl:
You sir win "Post of the Day" :) Funny shit right there!

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
These MSRP's seem really inflated, another thing to consider when buying.
Inflation implies some bubble that will pop. Wranglers pricing has been up and to the right for over a decade. Don't expect the price of the Wrangler to follow the same path as California Real Estate any time soon.

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s all this about? Just practicing the conversation with your wife?:cwl:
Actually she pretty much lost interest after reading the guy couldn't steer at 55-60mph. The batteries catching fire kind of cemented the don't get one. The actual problem now, is I saw the Sting Gray, which kind of put a hook in me, lol. Many years ago I wanted a Harley. I was looking, looking then compared it to a BMW I'd never really considered, but bought the BMW after the comparison and never regretted it. With the FJ gone, which some friends swear by, the wrangler is pretty unique. My father had Jeeps of the 40-50's era when I was a kid, so it's a nostalgia thing as well for me.

Sponsored

Tahoe Blue

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Actually she pretty much lost interest after reading the guy couldn't steer at 55-60mph. The batteries catching fire kind of cemented the don't get one. The actual problem now, is I saw the Sting Gray, which kind of put a hook in me, lol. Many years ago I wanted a Harley. I was looking, looking then compared it to a BMW I'd never really considered, but bought the BMW after the comparison and never regretted it. With the FJ gone, which some friends swear by, the wrangler is pretty unique. My father had Jeeps of the 40-50's era when I was a kid, so it's a nostalgia thing as well for me.
So basically your not buying one and came here to Troll the owners of JL's. GFY

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Friend , if you are not a Jeep loyalist , with a beer in one hand , and a wrench in the other hand , a Jeep is not for you . If you don't have past military or civilian Jeep experience , save your money . Those Jeeps you see in DC are owned and driven by wannabes , friend . And true Jeepers know them by sight .

It's like a DC big shot on a "Bird" scooter , acting like he's on a Harley , friend .

On the other hand , if you are a dare-devil and a rough-houser , consider a Jeep .

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
What is it with JL owners that they feel the need to call everyone a troll? Man JL owners are really making a name for themselves and not in a good way. I've never seen such an obtuse group of owners before and I caught plenty of flack from the CJ crowd when I purchased my YJ back in 1987....

Who cares why he is here? It's an open forum and he is entitled to his opinion just like you are. The difference is he is not running around insulting others...

What is it about the JL that's attracting this type of crowd? The car'ish interior? The updated electronics?

There are 2 types of people with Jeeps:

1. Jeep Owners: They love all Jeeps, love to talk about Jeeps, are aware of the faults and are aware of how awesome they are
2. People who drive a Jeep: Condescending, put down others, obtuse, rude....

I'll happily stick to Jeep owners. Mention something negative about the JK, TJ, YJ and they'll offer up a similar story of woe. The JL? A whole new breed of Jeep drivers... Not all mind you as I've met plenty of super cool JL owners but man, maybe the worse of the worse just post more than they do?

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm considering one. If I never read this board, then I'd have zero reservations. See how that works now? There is some honest critique here amongst the fan boys. Reads like some transparency is really unnerving some.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Sorry you are getting hate. Your posts seem reasonable to me. You just seem like a guy that really thinks things through logically.

It's like a pickup. They can tow. Most people don't tow every day but when they do it is there. It has a bed. Most don't use it every day but it is there. You can get a $25K asian sedan that is just as nice. Does that mean the truck is overpriced?

The Wrangler has a unique set of features (convertible, doors off, off-road capability) and it is fun to drive. A mid-size pickup is about the same price. I'm not sure a Wrangler is really overpriced. I wouldn't pay $50k for one and I didn't. Not everyone needs a loaded Rubicon.

And there are issues with every vehicle that affect some buyers. Like this forum for example:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/137-subaru-ascent-complaints-issues-problems/

My Sting-Gray is bad-ass and I love it by the way (and no issues other than some uconnect flakiness). Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is it with JL owners that they feel the need to call everyone a troll? Man JL owners are really making a name for themselves and not in a good way. I've never seen such an obtuse group of owners before and I caught plenty of flack from the CJ crowd when I purchased my YJ back in 1987....

Who cares why he is here? It's an open forum and he is entitled to his opinion just like you are. The difference is he is not running around insulting others...

What is it about the JL that's attracting this type of crowd? The car'ish interior? The updated electronics?

1. Jeep Owners: They love all Jeeps, love to talk about Jeeps, are aware of the faults and are aware of how awesome they are

I'll happily stick to Jeep owners. Mention something negative about the JK, TJ, YJ and they'll offer up a similar story of woe. The JL? A whole new breed of Jeep drivers... Not all mind you as I've met plenty of super cool JL owners but man, maybe the worse of the worse just post more than they do?
This is exactly what intrigued me. It's like they are trying to make this in to a daily driver with all the amenities. I like technology too, and the BSG interests me, but then I ponder why is that in a Wrangler? For a true off road type, why would they cherish a new point of failure? Then I read more than one necessary tow to dealer with that system, and no answers why it failed. Hanging the battery undercarriage with cooling lines doesn't really appear thought out well for a vehicle traversing deep water or crawling rocks, or have I got this wrong too? I mean keep on pavement, probably no problem with it, but off road? Isn't their pickup truck designed with that battery behind the passenger compartment, not beneath floor boards? I honestly think the JL is designed more with paved roads in mind. Perhaps they are marketing to boomers, the prices lean to that as well. Maybe boomers are getting too old for the Harley and ready for a Jeep, FCA is very shrewd targeting them.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS

I find it condescending that a Subaru owner comes here to praise the Subaru (Yet they have multiple problems of their own), then point out all the flaws in the JL He's not buying one, he already stated his wife is done with them. So I agree he's here to Troll. Sorry just calling it how I see it!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
jeep snow a.jpg

Good luck @Capt-Zoom . Hopefully before winter , lol . Keep a thick tow rope handy , lol .
No doubt. I still have my TJ...built to handle anything a Duluth MN winter can throw at it. After growing up in MN, Colorado winters are very tame.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I find it condescending that a Subaru owner comes here to praise the Subaru (Yet they have multiple problems of their own), then point out all the flaws in the JL He's not buying one, he already stated his wife is done with them. So I agree he's here to Troll. Sorry just calling it how I see it!
I'm not going to try and speak for him but consider this... Someone has never owned a Jeep and maybe they've always loved Yugo's... Driving down the road in their Yugo they see a JL and think man that is one sexy Jeep! Maybe they've always been curious about Jeeps and the JL is the one that peeks their interest.

Next step is the Yugo owner starts researching and finds this forum. Reads, reads and reads some more. Comes across the JL issues. Do all have these issues no, but maybe it concerns him enough to start asking questions and applying his logic to the Jeep buying process...

You have 2 choices. Respond in a rude and obtuse manner and call him a troll or respond like a friendly, helpful Jeep lover would.......... Some choose rude and obtuse which is evident in reading these forums... What is needed is for the helpful and friendly Jeep owners to drown out the obtuse ones....

My .02
Sponsored