• Total voters

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Here is what I have found.

#1. If you plan on getting

#3 Lockers kick ass. If you don't end up getting the Rubicon, then you will end up investing in ARB Air Lockers for $900 a piece and then needing to buy an on board air system. (I have a sport and did the ARB lockers because I wanted lockers but not a 52k price tag lol)
UConnect?
I know e-lockers and air lockers are an easier install but after my failure with an ARB air locker I’d probably go with an Ox locker, specifically a mechanical one. I have an 8 gallon tank and after the compressor died I’d fill it once a month to run the locker, realistically you could go cheap on the onboard air if it’s only for the locker. They do make all the difference in the world, but when mine broke a 60/40 or 70/30 clutch based limited slip was almost as capable and only about 200$.

rhodeking

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab JL
Hands down MOAB. Stock MOAB looks better than any stock Rubicon.
Plus Snow = MOAB, just don't take the moab to actual moab, it will get stuck
wrangler_moab_46433101_270641366931600_323129965952396825_n.jpg
Not true , I’ve taken mine there twice and just did kokopelli 4x4 including rose Garden hill (look it up) . Stock Moab

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
I love this Moab Rubicon debate. It’s provided tons of reading material, and nothing make me happier than seeing people get worked over nothing. I wonder what goes through the head of a Rubi fanatic if an H1, or HMMWV pulls up next to them at a traffic light? What if it’s painted OD Green, and not Coyote Tan? I hear the tan ones have more street cred now a days. What about a tracked vehicle? That would really be insanity. I think we should fire up the F-35A, B, or C debate. That’s almost as relevant as the Moab Rubi debate.

In all seriousness, I usually park my Moab in the hybrid section (with one wheel on the curb) at Whole Foods. Gives me that Lion amongst sheep feeling I need to get through the week...

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
I love this Moab Rubicon debate. It’s provided tons of reading material, and nothing make me happier than seeing people get worked over nothing. I wonder what goes through the head of a Rubi fanatic if an H1, or HMMWV pulls up next to them at a traffic light? What if it’s painted OD Green, and not Coyote Tan? I hear the tan ones have more street cred now a days. What about a tracked vehicle? That would really be insanity. I think we should fire up the F-35A, B, or C debate. That’s almost as relevant as the Moab Rubi debate.

In all seriousness, I usually park my Moab in the hybrid section (with one wheel on the curb) at Whole Foods. Gives me that Lion amongst sheep feeling I need to get through the week...
Ha! now that is funny!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The OP said he wanted to go on the Rubicon Trail. Can he do that with a Moab? Sure. I had a friend that did it with a little beat up old CJ piece of crap. Tiny tires and all.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I think a lot of this debate stems from some people who owned older Jeeps (of course I could be wrong). In order to get them to do some crazy stuff, several mods were needed. Therefore they think they need to buy the best Wrangler on the market and then put a bunch of upgrades on it and go drive over big stuff.

The JL's (all of them) are capable of doing some pretty great things off-road straight out of the factory. Personally I'm not really inclined (at least not yet) to take on insane obstacles just to see if I can, I just want to go some places that not a lot of other vehicles would make it and enjoy nature and the sights.

To each their own of course. I'm by no means trying to disrespect anyone that wants to attempt crawling over rocks and terrain that an average person would think is nuts, but that's not what all Wrangler owners are looking for. Off-roading can be an extreme sport for some, but doesn't have to be for all.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think a lot of this debate stems from some people who owned older Jeeps (of course I could be wrong). In order to get them to do some crazy stuff, several mods were needed. Therefore they think they need to buy the best Wrangler on the market and then put a bunch of upgrades on it and go drive over big stuff.
I think it comes from the fact that for the last 17 years, the most expensive Wrangler has also been the most capable. That’s not the case anymore.

If Moab slotted between Sahara and Rubicon, it’d make more sense and there would be less debate.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I think it comes from the fact that for the last 17 years, the most expensive Wrangler has also been the most capable. That’s not the case anymore.

If Moab slotted between Sahara and Rubicon, it’d make more sense and there would be less debate.
Excellent point. The "base prices" are super misleading because a Moab is really just a fully-loaded Sahara (with a few extras, some from a Rubicon) and a base Rubicon is still a "base model" without the "non-functional" (sorry, not sure how else to put it) options.

You're probably right that there is some butt hurt out there that a Moab costs more than a Rubicon when looking at the starting prices so to some seems to be the superior choice. Just a matter of which "options" you want to pay for.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
I wanted a 4DR Jeep with all the "bells n' whistles" as a daily driver. Settled on the MOAB, but didn't realize the rift in the community. I'd love to have the street cred of the Rubicon badge, but wanted the color matched hardtop/fenders, proximity, BSM, LEDs... Dealer had the MOAB in the right color, with the cold weather & tow packages. Would have liked ACC, but the 24M package was the easy button.

My whole purpose was a as-capable or more capable vehicle than the family Honda Pilot. Get my wife and toddler out of any weather jams (snow, floods, etc). I hope to do some off-roading, but it won't be anything extreme. The toddler is a handful, so I barely find time to wrench and mod the vehicle. So this trim / special edition fits the bill.

I think the MOAB badge on the hood rub people in the community or folks knowledgeable about Jeeps. From what I can tell, the Rubicon was the only trim level that had hood markings. Personally, I think FCA is trying to capitalize on the Jeep brand and they know there is a market for a more luxe SUV.

Sponsored

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I each own The JlUR, i looked hard a the Moab edition and thing it is a great looking Jeep, we have neither one had any trouble driving on snow or ice and we get both here in Northern Wyoming. One ice you have to drive smart either way. I think long term the Rubi probably holds its value better but I don't plan to ever sell.. We had an 09 JKUR that my daughter drives now and has Cooper SST pros on it and she does just fine on snow and Ice. I personally like the Rubicons and feel they are the best production made 4wd on the market off road platform ever. I think what ever you choose you will be happy with and a proud owner of a Jeep. Tires are replaceable items, so I personally wouldn't let that determine your purchase. I will warn you though once you have a Jeep your mind will begin to warp and you will start to take you places that are further and further from the pavement. When that happens it gets expensive, but hey its only money and you cant take it with you. I choose Rubis because my mind keeps dragging me further away and I love having Lockers that help me get there.
I’m my honest opinion you would have to be crazy to buy a Moab instead of a Jl Rubicon! Come on, the Rubicon is much more attractive and bad ass. I don’t see how someone would spend more money on a less attractive and less capable vehicle. When I drive my Rubicon I feel like I’m king of the road. Maybe it’s just me but with the high line fenders, 4.10 gearing, 4 to 1 transfer case, 33” KO2’s, front and rear lockers, and the name RUBICON on my hood is enough to not even consider getting a Moab. That’s just my opinion. It’s just a much better looking Jeep. I never considered anything else for a second!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This same debate is going on over on other vehicle forums. Truck forums debate V6 vs. V8, 5.3L vs 6.2L, 4x4 vs. 4x2. Camaro forums debate V6 vs. SS, SS vs ZL1. Tesla forums debate S70 vs S90, etc. Bottom line, we all drive our own individual vehicles. I don't drive yours, you don't drive mine. So, as Hillary so famously put it: "...At this point, what difference does it make?" If you want to drive a Yugo, go for it.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My whole purpose was a as-capable or more capable vehicle than the family Honda Pilot. Get my wife and toddler out of any weather jams (snow, floods, etc). I hope to do some off-roading, but it won't be anything extreme. The toddler is a handful, so I barely find time to wrench and mod the vehicle. So this trim / special edition fits the bill.
You could have bought a base JLU Sport, removed the tires, replaced them with wooden wagon wheels, disconnected both driveshafts, and attached a sail for propulsion and had a more capable vehicle than the Pilot!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Why does anyone take it personally when someone buys a different model than them? Weird.
I've said this before on another thread but I do care what other people buy insofar as it eventually impacts the direction of the market and the options I will have available down the road. With regard to Wranglers, I couldn't care less about Rubi vs. MOAB but I do wish more of you assholes would buy two door and manual transmission Jeeps because I don't want those to go away. The JK was the beginning of the end for the particular configuration of Wrangler that I prefer. Take rates on the two door / MT Jeeps has been in decline since '07 which means eventually it'll disappear and I'll have to keep really old Jeeps running. I'm young enough to have to worry about this.

I certainly don't take any individual's purchase personally though. I have a friend who's thinking of getting a JLU and I'm absolutely encouraging him. Rather he buy a Jeep than some Ford or Chevy.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I think the MOAB badge on the hood rub people in the community or folks knowledgeable about Jeeps. From what I can tell, the Rubicon was the only trim level that had hood markings. Personally, I think FCA is trying to capitalize on the Jeep brand and they know there is a market for a more luxe SUV.
I LOVE the MOAB on the hood! Truth be told a vast majority of all vehicle mods are for how it looks. Granted there are those who mod for function but in reality most of the upgrades are because they like how it looks. I really admire the MOAB package and under different circumstances might have gone that way. It slots nicely between the Sahara and the Rubicon. The price difference is irrelevant... but similarly equipped they're in the same price range. Personally the Selec-Track on the MOAB is better for most normal conditions than the Rock-Trac. And I'm sure it's plenty capable off the pavement as well!

The MOAB might have been the better package for me... but lockers and swaybar disconnect were must haves and that pushed me into the Rubi.
Sponsored