• Total voters

bcherokee

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Hello, I’m the next few days I am looking to buy a wrangler jlu. I will be using it for heavy deep snow and other off-roading conditions (parts of rubicon possibly etc.) my price range is around 52 msrp and naturally the Moab and rubicon seem like good options. I like the leather and steel bumpers on Moab standard and the rubicon for that price point doesn’t have that. Also the v6 is normally in the Moab which I like. The rubicon however has lockers which I’m not sure their necessity and a slightly different ride height with bigger tires. I don’t loook to do to many modifications to either. If anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of driving to you plan on doing with the Jeep?

Heavy rock crawling, tall obstacles, deep ruts, you'll want the Rubicon with the 4.10 axles and disconnecting sway bars.

Daily driving, Mud trails, adverse weather, The MOAB with the select-Trac and the mud tires would be good for you.

OP
OP

bcherokee

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
What kind of driving to you plan on doing with the Jeep?

Heavy rock crawling, tall obstacles, deep ruts, you'll want the Rubicon with the 4.10 axles and disconnecting sway bars.

Daily driving, Mud trails, adverse weather, The MOAB with the select-Trac and the mud tires would be good for you.
I go up to tahoe a lot with very very deep snow but don’t plan to do much rock crawling. Thanks for the reply

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I go up to tahoe a lot with very very deep snow but don’t plan to do much rock crawling. Thanks for the reply
Either way, you'll have a great vehicle! :)

Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Here is what I have found.

#1. If you plan on getting a winch, don't get the Mopar steel bumper, get something better that will cost about the same and have better options like d-ring loops and more importantly will have a spot to use a high-lift jack.

#2 the added ground clearance from the Rubicon will be invaluable for deep snow. And if you decide to get some AT/MT tires they will fit better under the Rubicon fenders.

#3 Lockers kick ass. If you don't end up getting the Rubicon, then you will end up investing in ARB Air Lockers for $900 a piece and then needing to buy an on board air system. (I have a sport and did the ARB lockers because I wanted lockers but not a 52k price tag lol)

#4 Rubicon has 4.10s which will be what you want when pushing through the heavy Tahoe snow. The "smaller" axles will work but will be prone to damage, especially if you get bigger tires.

#5 Not sure if Moab has it, but the sway bar disconnection is fantastic. Beats having to jump out and under the jeep every time you want it off/on

#6 a Rubicon has the "prestige" factor to it, if you care at all)

A few other things to consider that I dont know about the Moab...
Does it come with rock rails like the rubicon? (you will want them to protect the body of the jeep)
How much off road driving do you do vs on road? (Rubicon comes with great tire options, like BFG KO2s)
Does the Moab have the off-road pages for UConnect?

Opie88

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Moab
Here is what I have found.

#1. If you plan on getting a winch, don't get the Mopar steel bumper, get something better that will cost about the same and have better options like d-ring loops and more importantly will have a spot to use a high-lift jack.

#2 the added ground clearance from the Rubicon will be invaluable for deep snow. And if you decide to get some AT/MT tires they will fit better under the Rubicon fenders.

#3 Lockers kick ass. If you don't end up getting the Rubicon, then you will end up investing in ARB Air Lockers for $900 a piece and then needing to buy an on board air system. (I have a sport and did the ARB lockers because I wanted lockers but not a 52k price tag lol)

#4 Rubicon has 4.10s which will be what you want when pushing through the heavy Tahoe snow. The "smaller" axles will work but will be prone to damage, especially if you get bigger tires.

#5 Not sure if Moab has it, but the sway bar disconnection is fantastic. Beats having to jump out and under the jeep every time you want it off/on

#6 a Rubicon has the "prestige" factor to it, if you care at all)

A few other things to consider that I dont know about the Moab...
Does it come with rock rails like the rubicon? (you will want them to protect the body of the jeep)
How much off road driving do you do vs on road? (Rubicon comes with great tire options, like BFG KO2s)
Does the Moab have the off-road pages for UConnect?
My Moab has the off road pages and rock rails. However the BFG KM2 tires are loud!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you REALLY want that Moab color scheme from the factory, get the Rubicon. Moab is a very odd package no matter what you name it. Less off-road ready than the Rubicon yet with more off-road ready tires.
I mean really, any wrangler is off road ready, regardless of trim. Rubicon is just the most off road ready.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, but I hope you can see my point at least.
I can see some good uses for a MOAB where I live, lots of red clay mud but not a lot of bare rocks. As far as the name Moab, I don't find it any more unusual as any other special edition name so far.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I can see some good uses for a MOAB where I live, lots of red clay mud but not a lot of bare rocks. As far as the name Moab, I don't find it any more unusual as any other special edition name so far.
Like I said, name aside, itihas the most intense tires of all models yet with less intense parts than a Rubicon would have. Nothing wrong against any of them.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
If you get a Moab, make sure you switch tires before driving in snow. MT tires can be deadly in snow/ice.

The Rubicon's KO2 tires have the 'severe service' emblem, meaning they are rated for snow/ice traction (not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but better than most all-seasons or AT tires without the emblem).

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I'm getting a Rubicon but in your case I would go Moab.
I don't want leather, a hardtop, or KM2s, but if you want those things the Moab is a hell of a deal. The MTs will plow you through deep snow just fine (I've plowed through deep snow in a minivan). Lockers and sway bar disconnects you realistically won't be using. The Moab also comes with Select Trac and limited slip which is far more ideal for snowy/ slush highway driving than the Rubicon's Rock Trac and lockers setup.
For resell purposes it's probably easier to sell the Moab because the trim level automatically includes all of the options that you would otherwise have to individually option out on the Rubicon. In general it's better to have a $55K vehicle with $0 in options than a $40K vehicle with $15K in options on it come resell time.
Sponsored