• Total voters

MOABGuy

First Name
Som
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MOAB'19
Hello, I’m the next few days I am looking to buy a wrangler jlu. I will be using it for heavy deep snow and other off-roading conditions (parts of rubicon possibly etc.) my price range is around 52 msrp and naturally the Moab and rubicon seem like good options. I like the leather and steel bumpers on Moab standard and the rubicon for that price point doesn’t have that. Also the v6 is normally in the Moab which I like. The rubicon however has lockers which I’m not sure their necessity and a slightly different ride height with bigger tires. I don’t loook to do to many modifications to either. If anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I haven't driven a Rubicon on snow to comment on it.
I have a MOAB and recently Seattle got a lot more snow than expected. MOAB was a beast on thick snow, I was able to help people who were stuck during the winter storm. Mine is a MOAB with factory default tyres.
I'm a fan of all models of Wranglers, and I love the look of Rubicon given to the MOAB (vented hoods with steel bumper).
Good luck with your choice :)

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I haven't driven a Rubicon on snow to comment on it.
I have a MOAB and recently Seattle got a lot more snow than expected. MOAB was a beast on thick snow, I was able to help people who were stuck during the winter storm. Mine is a MOAB with factory default tyres.
I'm a fan of all models of Wranglers, and I love the look of Rubicon given to the MOAB (vented hoods with steel bumper).
Good luck with your choice :)
This here's 'Merica. We say "tires" 'round these parts, fella.:flag:

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Moab put to 26%!!!!! It’s climbing in the polls! Moving on the message board victory!

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
I have both 2018 JLU Rubicon and Moab. I would absolutely say Moab would better suit your needs specifically because of the Auto 4WD and limited slip rear differential. As far as ride quality, the Moab seems a little firmer and the Rubicon seems slightly softer which I attribute to the difference in tires which I run both Jeeps at 35 psi hot (about 33 psi cold). My Rubicon is just over 10k miles and the wife's Moab is just over 4k. Two items of note: The Moab shifts much smoother/easier into 4wd, but those tires got to go due to noise. The wife doesn't mind the noise but I can't take it any more. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip to Tennessee in the Moab and my ears are still ringing. KO2s coming soon!

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
The Rubicon is much more flexible to all conditions...Also has a greater resale value..
This is one thing I never understood, why buy a vehicle thinking “oh boy I can’t wait to trade this in/sell it to get a great resale value”
When I’m ready for trade in/sell it, I’ll be happy if it still moves under its own power hahaha

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Either way, you'll have a great vehicle! :)
Sean, thank you for the awesome post. You may be one of the most intelligent people around her. I get way too wordy when i try to say what you said lol!

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Sean, thank you for the awesome post. You may be one of the most intelligent people around her. I get way too wordy when i try to say what you said lol!
Lecter to Clarice: "What does he do, this man you seek? What is his nature?...What need does he serve?"
Clarice: "Anger. Social resentment, sexual frustration, a Moab for more money than a Rubicon..."
Lecter: "Nooo. That is incidental...He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out Rubicons to covet?"
Clarice: "No. We just..."
Lecter: "No. Precisely. We begin by coveting what we see on JLWrangler Forum every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your Rubicon, Clarice? And don't your eyes move over the Rubicon you want?"

Sorry. Your call sign makes me want some liver with fava beans...

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon vs Moab
Whatever you do don't listen to those MOAB haters... they only have one thing in mind and that is the ability to drive an "true" 4 wheel drive and not what some substitute as a 4 wheel drive... I'm not sure where they get off giving people crap about buying a Sahara with some added Mopar accessories. The MOAD's are great looking Jeeps and almost as good looking at the Rubicon. Far inferior when it comes to driving in the mud, sand, dirt/rock, etc but if you keep it on the pavement it'll do just fine :giggle:

Seriously though, I hear those MOAB tires (KM2) are pretty loud so you might check that out in case you have to replace them. I have heard of Jeep buyers trading in their stock tires at the dealer for a credit so they could get something else. It might be worth looking into if there is any doubt that you will like them.
Sponsored