OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
What are the steering issues? Seems like everyone loves these things.

I like the looks of the hard top a little more. What are the pros and cons of the soft vs hard top?
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What are the steering issues? Seems like everyone loves these things.

I like the looks of the hard top a little more. What are the pros and cons of the soft vs hard top?
Hard top:

Pros: Marginally quieter. Has rear defrost and wiper. More robust for snow clearing (I assume). Can be body coloured if that's your thing.
Cons: Hard top is difficult to remove solo without equipment. Large and cumbersome to store. Freedom panels open up only the front seats. Freedom panels block rear view mirror when stowed in cargo area (can interfere with going doorless due to mirror laws - state by state). Freedom panels take up a lot of cargo room when stowed. The interior is white - wtf.

Soft top:
Pros: opens up both front and rear seats in seconds (sunrider mode). Rear windows do not block rear view when stowed in carrier bag and take minimal cargo space. Can operate in safari mode (top closed w/ no windows), sunrider (folded back), and can be fully folded down to the tailgate. Highly adaptable for changing weather conditions. Interior is black.
Cons: Marginally noisier. No rear defrost or wiper. Rear window is more work to open than the hard top glass. Windows shouldn't be flexed in the winter (opening rear window on very cold days could crack it).

If I had to pick one top, I'd go with the premium soft top.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I drive 120mi/day on all interstate highways (70mph most of the way)
I have the BFG KO2s and love them, quiet, smooth and no hydroplaning in 12k miles. When teh time came to go to 35" I stuck with what I knew.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Hard top:

Pros: Marginally quieter. Has rear defrost and wiper. More robust for snow clearing (I assume). Can be body coloured if that's your thing.
Cons: Hard top is difficult to remove solo without equipment. Large and cumbersome to store. Freedom panels open up only the front seats. Freedom panels block rear view mirror when stowed in cargo area (can interfere with going doorless due to mirror laws - state by state). Freedom panels take up a lot of cargo room when stowed. The interior is white - wtf.

Soft top:
Pros: opens up both front and rear seats in seconds (sunrider mode). Rear windows do not block rear view when stowed in carrier bag and take minimal cargo space. Can operate in safari mode (top closed w/ no windows), sunrider (folded back), and can be fully folded down to the tailgate. Highly adaptable for changing weather conditions. Interior is black.
Cons: Marginally noisier. No rear defrost or wiper. Rear window is more work to open than the hard top glass. Windows shouldn't be flexed in the winter (opening rear window on very cold days could crack it).

If I had to pick one top, I'd go with the premium soft top.
Thanks! This is very helpful!

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive 120mi/day on all interstate highways (70mph most of the way)
I have the BFG KO2s and love them, quiet, smooth and no hydroplaning in 12k miles. When teh time came to go to 35" I stuck with what I knew.
Thanks, that's good to know! Sounds like they're great tires and not too noisy at all.

Sponsored

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just got my 2020 with Falken M/T. I've put on just over 500 miles so far. Mostly interstate or 55-75 mph highway driving. I am extremely happy with the Falkens so far. I am coming from a 2016 JK with rubicon take off BFG M/T KM tires. When I switches from the factory tires on the JK (tiny goodyear all seasons if I remember right), I didn't really noticed much of a difference in road noise. And these Falkens I don't notice any road noise either. But then I may not be as sensitive to it. Driving on the highway they felt just fine to me. I also had them at the dealer pressure of around 38-40psi (cold). I ran my BFGs at around 38psi (cold) and never had a problem with handling or wear (Over 50k miles on them when I traded in, and still had at least 10k left)

Due to an order mistake, mine came with the KO2 tires, and the dealer swapped out to the Falken M/T. They only had 4, so my spare is still a KO2. I have to say, the KO2 AT looks small/tame just in direct comparison to the Falken MT. It seems like the KO2 is a better tire choice, except for 1) if you like a more aggressive look and/or 2) you plan to crawl rocks/mud/etc.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
K02s are a great all around tire and fine for highway. That said I recently went to a mud terrain in 37 inch size and find them acceptable also for daily driving, about 50 miles per day. Maxxis Razr MT.

Sf kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S Ocean Blue 2-door
I’m 3 months into ownership of a new 2018 sport S 2-door. Had 18” factory duelers and I swapped them after 1000 mi for rubicon wheels/K02s. I’ve put about 2500 mi on the rubicon/KO2s.

Factory duelers are smoother, quieter, and netted an extra 1-1.5 mpg (yes I reset ecu for correct tire size). However, that’s still not enough to get me to switch back. No issues cruising at 80mph on the freeway all day

Tasrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 Mustang GT Convertible, 2016 Ford Fusion, 2017 Honda Pilot
I'd like to hear from some Rubicon owners how the stock knobby tires do on the freeway at 70-80mph. I'm looking to get a Jeep Wrangler this winter and really love the overall look of the Rubicon, but given how I have a 55 mile one way commute to work that's mostly freeway, I'm wondering how noisy those tires will be at higher speeds as well as general ride quality.

So far I'm set on either a Sport with the Altitude package or the Rubicon (both 4 doors). I prefer the looks of the Rubicon, but don't want to regret that with tons of cabin noise from the tires every day to and from work. Appreciate any input!
I just bought this in August. My commute is roughly 25 miles each way and I have no issue with the ride they give. It has the Mud Terrain tires.

IMG_2684.JPG

Bikini Zen

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Massage Therapist
I’m 3 months into ownership of a new 2018 sport S 2-door. Had 18” factory duelers and I swapped them after 1000 mi for rubicon wheels/K02s. I’ve put about 2500 mi on the rubicon/KO2s.

Factory duelers are smoother, quieter, and netted an extra 1-1.5 mpg (yes I reset ecu for correct tire size). However, that’s still not enough to get me to switch back. No issues cruising at 80mph on the freeway all day
My Rubicon has 5k in 10 weeks time. Have taken several highway trips from NH to RI (3hr each way) 65-80 top down, ko2 a/t 33s with 2 inch lift. Smooth ride, I have no complaints on the noise, can have a phone conversation with soft top on at highway speeds without issue. No regrets. Soft top down obviously loud but not from tires.

Sponsored

RubiXplr

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
3k mikes on my 2019 JLUR; BFG KO2 tires are quiet. Wind noise and sound of other cars is more noticeable than road noise.

Black_JLUR_18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I drove my mother-in-law's JLUR on an 8 hour round trip. She has the hard top with headliner. The wind noise was louder in her Jeep than in my JLUR that has the premium soft top

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
OP:

There are some very good comments throughout this thread and certainly some things for you to consider. However, please understand that many Jeep aficionados, and certainly most on any online forum, are very forgiving to some of the downsides of owning a Jeep.

An unlimited Rubicon will be louder than your current car on the highway; it will not track as well; it will not be as smooth; it will not be as fast; you will get wet when getting in and out after a storm because of the shape of the windshield and rain gutter; it will have quirks that you may feel are unacceptable for a $40k+ vehicle. However, you will have fun driving it every day.

My recommendation is that you rent one for a week and drive it up and down your commute every day. Make phone calls using Bluetooth, listen to music and do everything you’d normally do. If you’re satisfied with all the quirks, and have accepted them as part of Jeep ownership, only then would I consider getting one. But you gotta know what you’re getting into...

Good luck and don’t forget to wave.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP:

There are some very good comments throughout this thread and certainly some things for you to consider. However, please understand that many Jeep aficionados, and certainly most on any online forum, are very forgiving to some of the downsides of owning a Jeep.

An unlimited Rubicon will be louder than your current car on the highway; it will not track as well; it will not be as smooth; it will not be as fast; you will get wet when getting in and out after a storm because of the shape of the windshield and rain gutter; it will have quirks that you may feel are unacceptable for a $40k+ vehicle. However, you will have fun driving it every day.

My recommendation is that you rent one for a week and drive it up and down your commute every day. Make phone calls using Bluetooth, listen to music and do everything you’d normally do. If you’re satisfied with all the quirks, and have accepted them as part of Jeep ownership, only then would I consider getting one. But you gotta know what you’re getting into...

Good luck and don’t forget to wave.
Yeah I kind of figured that. It's like all the Challenger guys, no one really gives a crap about fuel mileage or buying tires or running premium fuel, just sort of part of the deal. To me getting better than 15mpg is good and over 20mpg is exceptional, but to most people that's pretty bad haha!

Looks like you're in accounting/tax as well. I used to do tax compliance and now do tax accounting work. Not overly exciting work, but I like working with numbers and it pays well. Haha!

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Bought a Sahara with stock 18” duelers and hard top, upgrades to 17” KO2’s and added a soft top. I’d agree with most of the comments on this thread, road noise with both tires and both tops is about the same. My only complaint about the KO2’s was already mentioned, highway driving in rain and or ice/sleet was a bit more scary than the Duelers. The soft top is great in the summer and the hard top is great in the winter. Enjoy whatever you choose!

371FCD93-6982-4DB7-8D6D-E50D1B82AED6.jpeg

6D6A06B7-1BD6-4573-87EE-6D6BEBA655A0.jpeg

A820303A-F331-45C3-B940-0A2B2D183F73.jpeg

715C2776-BB80-4065-8222-96548B7D5C67.jpeg
Sponsored