Sponsored

Rubicon tires / highway driving

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I'm not sure what the KO2 tires are then I guess. Here's the choices in the system...

upload_2019-9-19_13-9-19.png
I am guessing that:

"BSW Off-road Tires" = BFGoodrich A/T KO2 - Black Side Wall
"BSW M/T Tires" = Falken Wildpeak M/T - Black Side Wall
"OWL Off-road Tires" = BFGoodrich A/T KO2 - Outside White Lettering
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I'll also add that the KO2s, being an All Terrain tire, excel in wet/snow and dry traction. The compromise is that in sticky mud they get clogged up pretty easily. On rock they can slip a bit but do just fine.

My previous car was a Subaru STI on snow tires and I feel that I have probably 85-90% as much control with the JLUR on KO2s.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to hear from some Rubicon owners how the stock knobby tires do on the freeway at 70-80mph. I'm looking to get a Jeep Wrangler this winter and really love the overall look of the Rubicon, but given how I have a 55 mile one way commute to work that's mostly freeway, I'm wondering how noisy those tires will be at higher speeds as well as general ride quality.

So far I'm set on either a Sport with the Altitude package or the Rubicon (both 4 doors). I prefer the looks of the Rubicon, but don't want to regret that with tons of cabin noise from the tires every day to and from work. Appreciate any input!
We have a Sahara with Rubi rims/tires KO2s. We have put 37k miles on it since 1/2018 and have no complaints. This includes over 4k mile trip out west with LOTS of highway driving and all sorts of off roading. We have cruised at 80mph in comfort and they barely make noise imo. They are also great off road and crawling over rocks. Overall I'd say they are a great all around tire. I also have them on my LJ and feel the same way about it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wouldn't really qualify BFG AT's as "knobby" anyhow. They're just a traditional AT

If anything, if you follow the LT market tires are getting more aggressive and I think that's great. Many present AT's would have once been considered MT's, based upon the size of the lugs and spacing between lugs. I don't have any great examples (save for maybe the Duratrac which is spec'd from the factory on some vehicles) but I know others have noticed this, too

Unless you ONLY drive highway there are few good reasons to run an HT these days. Best I can figure Jeep is spec'ing the tiny, shallow-lugged tires on some of the Sports and Saharas for two reasons:
1)they got 'em cheap
2)they have to have a good/better/best scenario to make the Rubi package appear worth the $

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll also add that the KO2s, being an All Terrain tire, excel in wet/snow and dry traction. The compromise is that in sticky mud they get clogged up pretty easily. On rock they can slip a bit but do just fine.

My previous car was a Subaru STI on snow tires and I feel that I have probably 85-90% as much control with the JLUR on KO2s.
BTW... nice avatar picture... lol ;)

Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
the BFGs are great I drive around a hundred miles a day highway for my commute and have had them on my old jeep and the new one. They last a long ass time as well. Also don't discount the soft top. On my old jeep the soft top was a pain in the ass and was pretty loud. I still loved it but I had no desire to get another soft top. Then I drove a JL and couldn't believe it. The new soft top is WONDERFUL it is just as quiet on the highway as the hard top and it's extremely easy to put up and down. one of the main reasons I even have a jeep is so that I can take the top down and Jeep has finally made a soft top that makes it practical. Also it looks so badass in safari mode that I usually just keep it like that. With the top in safari mode and the windows up you can still stay warm because the heater is great. ( my commute home can be pretty chilly)

A
Nice! That's a sharp looking Jeep!

I want to get the hard top, so I've heard that is much quieter inside than the soft top is.
jeep.jpg.jpg

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
also if you're driving that far every day you might want to reconsider getting a rubicon just because of the gear ratios. Mine is a sport S with a little bit more street friendly gears specifically because I knew I was going to commute every day. It is still a great offroad vehicle stock with those tires.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the Fallen MTs....nice tire for what I do.... inexpensive too. I still.prefer the Cooper STT PROs I had on my JKURHR.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
What do you daily drive now?

Another thing to consider - I find the KO2s to be subpar in heavy rain. Driving through a puddle at even moderate speeds is a white knuckle affair.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What do you daily drive now?

Another thing to consider - I find the KO2s to be subpar in heavy rain. Driving through a puddle at even moderate speeds is a white knuckle affair.
I second this.

Sponsored

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I'd like to hear from some Rubicon owners how the stock knobby tires do on the freeway at 70-80mph. I'm looking to get a Jeep Wrangler this winter and really love the overall look of the Rubicon, but given how I have a 55 mile one way commute to work that's mostly freeway, I'm wondering how noisy those tires will be at higher speeds as well as general ride quality.

So far I'm set on either a Sport with the Altitude package or the Rubicon (both 4 doors). I prefer the looks of the Rubicon, but don't want to regret that with tons of cabin noise from the tires every day to and from work. Appreciate any input!
I have a soft top Rubicon and I don't get much tire noise on the highway - noise from other vehicles is more of an issue. Since you are considering buying this Jeep for mostly highway driving, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the JL steering problems. A lot of 2018-2020 JL owners, including myself, are experiencing steering problems, i.e. wandering, on the highway. If you get one of those, you would not enjoy your daily commute. Just look up steering problems and/or wandering on these forums.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
BF Goodrich KO2 is an all terrains tire, and is, by far, the best tire you can buy. I have owned at least 6 sets and I regularly get 60k-75K miles out of them.

They are excellent for on road travel, in virtually any kind of weather, and are very well suited for off-road.

They ARE NOT mud tires, and they ARE NOT rock crawler tires. You can do those things with these tires, but these tires are not optimal choices for that.

On road noise is not noticeable (beyond any other regular street tire). The ones that come on the Rubicon are D rated, so they are not the hardest tire available, which means they will have a slightly more comfortable driving and riding experience.

I do have a 2019 Rubicon, and my only gripe is I couldn't choose to purchase them in a 37x12.50 from the factory. Hardly a valid complaint.

I drive 40+ miles a day to and from work, and I don't hear the tires. I do have a hard top, so that may help, but fwiw, if I turn the radio off, I hear wind noise not tire noise.

Hope that helps. Buy a Rubicon like everyone else on this site! Lol

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I currently daily drive a 2019 Challenger R/T. I've had several of them and really like those cars.

So some are saying standard BF Goodrich tires are not that great in the rain? That's not good to hear. Are the mud/terrain tires any better?

I've heard some people complain about the loose steering on the Jeeps. Some say it's been improved, others say it's still not that great. I guess I should test drive a few before I order one.

This will be a one year lease, so I guess if I really don't like it, I won't have it for too long. But I can't imagine not enjoying a Jeep 4x4. They look like a lot of fun to me!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I currently daily drive a 2019 Challenger R/T. I've had several of them and really like those cars.

So some are saying standard BF Goodrich tires are not that great in the rain? That's not good to hear. Are the mud/terrain tires any better?

I've heard some people complain about the loose steering on the Jeeps. Some say it's been improved, others say it's still not that great. I guess I should test drive a few before I order one.

This will be a one year lease, so I guess if I really don't like it, I won't have it for too long. But I can't imagine not enjoying a Jeep 4x4. They look like a lot of fun to me!
I would definitely test drive one. As much as I love mine I wouldn't want to do a long drive in it on a daily basis. Make no mistake - the Rubi is going to be considerably less comfortable and louder than any modern crossover.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes make sure that the one you want to buy has it's tires at around 34 PSI then drive it on the highway to make sure you're comfortable with how it steers. I test drove a few and they felt good. The one that I ordered and received is a little scary. We're working on it. If it's only a one year lease then for sure get the soft top. you're not going to want to get a roof lift or roof dolly just to enjoy a convertible top.
Sponsored