Sponsored

Rubicon or willys ????

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Sarge green. I know I got a nice bonus just thought I was pretty well versed in jeeps and had no idea the half doors would add those options. I can understand the mirrors and lock because all the half door are probably the same but why the heck did jeep decide to throw in power windows? Same wiring harness so why not?
did you get a manual or auto trans?
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Rubiconā€™s key weakness, in my experience, is that in variable winter conditions the rear remains, for all intents and purposes, an open differential. Even with the full-time Rock-Trac.

The beauty of the Selec-Trac is that the rear LSD and the BLD are ALWAYS working together.
123ABAE5-3FEB-42D2-9EE2-0E1E04207D0E.jpeg

CAVEAT: both full-time 4WD systems, Selec-Trac and Rock-Trac, are clutch-actuated. Which means you ought to shift into part-time mode as soon as you hit the trail to avoid overheating the clutch pack.

Donā€™t ask how I know... šŸ˜«
Interesting I didnā€™t know this. The 392 is always on 4H Auto. If big bear gets enough snow this season, Iā€™ll be sure to switch to 4H part time if the roads arenā€™t plowed.

I should be careful off road then. Sometimes I like seeing how for my 392 can go without engaging 4H part time, but now remembering Iā€™m not in 2H and I can overheat the clutch, I might find myself engaging part time sooner.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99tj 21 2dr willys sport, 22 4dr willys sport XR
Automatic transmission, 2.0

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting I didnā€™t know this. The 392 is always on 4H Auto. If big bear gets enough snow this season, Iā€™ll be sure to switch to 4H part time if the roads arenā€™t plowed.

I should be careful off road then. Sometimes I like seeing how for my 392 can go without engaging 4H part time, but now remembering Iā€™m not in 2H and I can overheat the clutch, I might find myself engaging part time sooner.
The characteristic smell of burnt clutch will give it away.

Sponsored

Oneman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport
I chose the Willys because I'm not going to be doing extreme anything. My little rig gets me just fine down the unmaintained roads to dispersed camping spots I like. It might not have been a huge $$ difference to get a Rubicon but I would have felt I had bought a big game rifle to go varmint hunting. I'm totally happy with my decision.
63500450901__67F31DF2-330C-491A-812D-FFECB47D5B90.jpeg
Two questions for you:
How were the stock Firestones for winter use?
Who manufacturerEd your teardrop trailer? Thanks!
I am currently waiting on my 2022 Willys Sport order.

ChuckWalla

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
Two questions for you:
How were the stock Firestones for winter use?
Who manufacturerEd your teardrop trailer? Thanks!
I am currently waiting on my 2022 Willys Sport order.
That picture was me getting caught in a freak snowstorm. I avoid snow like the plague. But they seemed good in my one snowstorm. I researched off-road teardrop trailers for two years and finally decided on TCTeardrops.com in Wisconsin. Custom built. Great price. Tough as nails. Will go anywhere my Jeep can. You'll love your Willys.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
My 2 cents....
I do not do any real off road trails with my Wrangler, therefore I bought the Willy's...did not want to fork over more than 55K for a Rubi. But, thats me. IF, you can afford the extra dough, buy the Rubi...resale will be better and its just cooler to have one. I LOVE MY WILLY's...I am extremely happy with the ride, gas milage, look and the options.

Sponsored

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
My spouse bought a 2020 Willys 2dr dealer said it was just like a Rubicon , we still have it but my spouse hates it took it off road and was disappointed with it off road , so it was a buying mistake on my spouseā€™s part . Now my spouse wishes for a Rubicon it might happen next year we just have to wait and see . My 2 cents worth if you can afford the Rubicon get it you will have no regrets

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My spouse bought a 2020 Willys 2dr dealer said it was just like a Rubicon , we still have it but my spouse hates it took it off road and was disappointed with it off road , so it was a buying mistake on my spouseā€™s part . Now my spouse wishes for a Rubicon it might happen next year we just have to wait and see . My 2 cents worth if you can afford the Rubicon get it you will have no regrets
Curious -- what exactly was your spouse dissatisfied with in terms of off road performance?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I don't think that is reality. There are very few places a Rubicon will go that a Willys will not go. There is a small percentage of difference between the 2 models. If you find trails where a Willys won't go, you will probably quickly find trails where a Rubicon won't go either. Now if you're going to do that and start doing modifications then a Rubicon is the better platform for that but if you want to make really significant modifications then you will be removing everything that makes a Rubicon a Rubicon so in that case you are better off starting with a Sport.

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I've been checking into the tires that come with the Willys . This jeep will be driven on road 98 percent of the time and my wife will more than likely be driving it . The mt tires aren't going to be the best for that . Living in south dakota winter conditions will be important to be prepared for . The mt tires that are stock may look 'cool' , but the only time she will drive in mud , would be a rain soaked gravel road .
Anyway I have visited with my local tire sales guy . He said if I bring in the jeep upon taking delivery he will credit the mt tires at 155.00 each . Looking at a set of 5 falken wild peak at3w 235/75 r17 for 350.00 difference mounted and balanced . A narrow tire is better for snow . It will be a little shorter but a1/2" in ride height will still be ok . With less rubber on the road it should be better for gas mileage . It should be a lot smoother ride as well . 55,000 mile warranty on them as well . I have never had a set of tires go that far but that is what falken warrants this tire for . Only extra cost will be for dealer to recalibrate for the different size .
You can see by this rambling post it is winter here and am looking forward to april when the new Willys is supposed to deliver .
I'm curious to see what others think about swapping the mt tires for the all terrain tires .
The falkens also weigh about 10 lbs less per tire .
Sponsored