Sponsored

Rubicon 2 and 4 door handling differences

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
May have a possibility of acquiring a 2 door JL Rubicon and was wondering what the road manner differences between the JLU and JL models are. I love the JLUR I have but I'm curious if the shorter wheelbase gives a choppier ride or has any negative effects on road manners.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Nope, not choppy at all and handles great...for what it is, not what it isn’t. As in, it isn’t a Honda Civic, nor is it a BMW M3, or a Corvette.

Lower tire pressure to 36 p.s.i at all four corners and enjoy the plush ride of your new JLR.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes, because of the shorter wheelbase it will ride a bit harsher than the four door. Good idea to test drive it first

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I have found the 4-door to be a little less flighty in the wind, but; other then that they seem to drive the same me.. off road the differences are more noticeable

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
Nope, not choppy at all and handles great...for what it is, not what it isn’t. As in, it isn’t a Honda Civic, nor is it a BMW M3, or a Corvette.

Lower tire pressure to 36 p.s.i at all four corners and enjoy the plush ride of your new JLR.
Isn't the tire pressure spec'd at 37psi? How would dropping it 1psi create a plush ride?

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Isn't the tire pressure spec'd at 37psi? How would dropping it 1psi create a plush ride?
They seem to be shipping from factory at 48-9. Dealers aren’t adjusting unless tpms tells them it’s low.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I found the 2 Door to be actually a lot more fun to drive around town.
I have no experience comparing the two on highway, but it makes sense that the 4 door will be superior.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I have found the 4-door to be a little less flighty in the wind, but; other then that they seem to drive the same me.. off road the differences are more noticeable
My comparison is a 4 door JK vs my current 2 door JL, but my experience has been similar. The 2 door drives great. The 2 door JL actually drives better than the 4 Door JK FWIW. It is more susceptible to wind on the highway though.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
I miss the turning radius of the 2 door. I had to do a 3 point turn the other day in my JLU and it was embarrassing lol

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
From the dealership they all come above 40 p.s.i. I'm just pointing out that running at 36 p.s.i makes the ride better.

Oh, and maybe less caffeine in the AM might be good to reduce your indignation over 1 p.s.i...:facepalm:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punkindave

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Thanx for the tips guys, just went to the dealer and had a look. The ride may be OK, but it's impossible having anyone getting in and out of the back seats so that's a deal breaker for me..

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
From the dealership they all come above 40 p.s.i. I'm just pointing out that running at 36 p.s.i makes the ride better.

Oh, and maybe less caffeine in the AM might be good to reduce your indignation over 1 p.s.i...:facepalm:
Crybaby :facepalm:

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
When I got mine it was at 50psi and lowering it definitely made a difference.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Thanx for the tips guys, just went to the dealer and had a look. The ride may be OK, but it's impossible having anyone getting in and out of the back seats so that's a deal breaker for me..

My back seat was one of the first things to go. If I needed to use it I would have definitely went 4 door.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
2 door is like driving a 4 wheeler on the road... Super fun and turns great. My 4 door is fun too, but turns more like my truck. On the road they seem about the same to me.

Ps. After reading the posts, I think I'll drop my tire pressure a few pounds to get that "Cadillac feel". lol
Sponsored