mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I will gladly pile-on:

I have had my 2019 2-door JLR (manual) for 5 months and about 6500 miles. I came from a dropped VW GTI, so I was not expecting the JL to be a pavement-hugging rocket. It's certainly not, but it is still a joy to drive. It is very comfortable and at highway speeds it is pretty solid. I drive about 35 minutes each way to\from work every day and driving has never felt like a chore (any more than it would in any vehicle).

The best news is that when Saturday morning comes I can drive the thing up a mountain on trails that would turn most vehicles into sauce. ;-)
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
My 2 door Sport 3.6 MT is a gem on the highway. Again, it’s no sports car, but it’s plenty stable, has enough pep (especially if I downshift for a hill or a pass), and I feel comfortable with it at speed.

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Ive had my 2dr just over a year and have almost 14000 miles on it. I love it and have driven a couple 4+ hour trips over the last year. I agree with what someone else said that you gotta just loosen your grip on the wheel and sort of let it roll where it wants to go but its so much fun to drive and comfortable too. I remember driving it home from the dealership a couple hours away and feeling nauseated from constantly overcorrecting and weaving back and forth but once i got the tire pressures down and got used to the shorter wheelbase its been a blast. Im 6' 250 lbs and I have Rubicon takeoff tires and suspension. Test drive as much you can and double check those tire pressures!

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Considering buying a new JL Rubicon 2 door.
Most of my driving is local, but I do travel 4 hours on the highway once a week.
How good or bad is it?
I've logged 9k on my 2dr Rubicon this past year.. with some 7+ hour highway drives mixed in with short local roads. The only real "mod" I did was switch out the stock tires for LT315/70/R17 Cooper STT Pros immediately after taking delivery.

Honestly, the highway experience depends on the wind that day. On a windless day it is little to no effort staying in the lane. On a windy day, I stay in the center lane and have to work a moderate amount to stay in the lane. I almost never try to pass an 18 wheeler on the left when there is a concrete barrier. The ride is comfortable as long as you keep the PSI lower in the tires. I run mine between 26-28 cold and have a pretty smooth ride even with the crazy construction going on literally everywhere. As far as power and keeping up to speed.. once I am up to 70, I set the cruise and have no issues.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I have a 2 door JLR. I can't say I'm happy with the steering precision. I've had multiple cars since my last jeep (I've owned a yj, xj and kj previously) so I cannot compare one jeep to the other. But what I can tell you is that the JL is a lot more comfortable than my last car (lifted 2011 subaru forester), and it is more quiet inside with the hardtop on than the forester by far.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2 dr Sport 2.0 Auto........32x12 MT tires. 14 hours a day driving x2 one way. Maine to Iowa and back 3200 miles round trip. Having done it also in a YJ 2 dr and a TJ 2 dr. It was no big deal and was not uncomfortable or overly fatigue inducing any more than a drive in any car for 14 hours at a time. I don't drive 70-80mph. Some back roads/highways and some interstate......60-70 mph and better gas mileage with more scenery and less tolls too.

bloodwar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU // 2018 JL 2Door
I drove mine from RI to Fla and back with no issues and I have it on the highway every morning going
to work, no complaints.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
We drove ours from Colorado to Costa Rica and I have to say it was pretty damn comfortable on our 4100 mile journey. Owned it for a year and have just under 16000 miles on it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My 2-door JL Sport drives like a short wheelbase truck. But it makes my 2-hour round trip commute really fun.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Just remember that turbos don't like being oxygen deprived, but that should not be a problem out east since altitude is moderate in that part of the world.
Turbos aren’t really affected by altitude but naturally aspirated vehicles are. That’s why turbo vehicles will run circles around naturally aspirated at altitude. I’m sure you just meant the opposite.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Considering buying a new JL Rubicon 2 door.
Most of my driving is local, but I do travel 4 hours on the highway once a week.
How good or bad is it?
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon and have put about 12,000 miles on it so far. It's done great as my daily driver when I'm stateside (about 120 miles round trip) as well as when I've taken it on long road trips. I have the v-6 and automatic, leather, soft top, LEDs, steel bumpers, cold weather package. Been a great all around vehicle. I was more interested in the manual transmission when I was test driving but found the automatic to be a better option as the gear ratios seemed to be odd in the manual and required a lot of downshifts to climb what I felt to be relatively small hills. The auto seemed to provide a better power/torque curve and with the manual bump-shift option gives me plenty of control while off-road. I've only had a small uConnect issue with the 8.4 but that will be resolved under warranty when I return on R&R in a few weeks. Handling, steering, and stability has been great, and the v-6 has plenty of power behind it for the 2 door. Fuel mileage has been solid 18ish around town and 22+ in most cases on the highway. Let me know what else you'd like to know!

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Turbos aren’t really affected by altitude but naturally aspirated vehicles are. That’s why turbo vehicles will run circles around naturally aspirated at altitude. I’m sure you just meant the opposite.
Yep. Sorry. They just work harder to compensate.
Sponsored