Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Similar dilemma, except trying to decide between 2 door Rubi and Gladiator Rubi. We have a truck (Ram) for towing and hauling. We hunt and spend a lot of time in mts camping. 2 door would help us to get inbto places we can't get into too well with full size truck. BUT if we go with Gladiator we could still haul small camp trailer and get benefit of shorter wheelbase than truck, and Rubi benefits. Thoughts?
From the videos I’ve seen, Gladiator won’t be much help getting into too many places.

Compared to Wrangler, Gladiator has a pretty long wheelbase and rear overhang; departure and break-over angles aren’t that good.

jeep-gladiator-vs-wrangler.jpg

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I know this is an old thread but it was resurrected so here you go:
-more common; less exclusivity.
Sorry had to laugh at that. A Wrangler is a lot of things but "exclusive" in any way, shape or form it is not.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry had to laugh at that. A Wrangler is a lot of things but "exclusive" in any way, shape or form it is not.
I dunno, I actually disagree. I think one of the biggest appeals of the wrangler is that with a little effort you can make it yours, unlike any other jeep on the road. Also, unlike a lot of manufacturers, options are offered a-la-carte so by checking certain options and not checking others, you can very quickly make yourself a very rare vehicle.

Take mine, for example. You know how many Ocean Blue 2-doors I’ve seen in the wild? Maybe four total. But how many were a Rubicon and soft top? None so far- so with just those three options chosen (color, Rubicon, two doors) I’ve already created a rare jeep. Include all the other options I checked and didn’t check, and I’d be very surprised if there were any configured just like mine (most dealers put the 8.4” screen in Rubicons and lots of other options which I did not select). When I search national inventories online I can’t find any configured like mine.

Of course you’re right that jeeps are everywhere and they sell tons of them. But they sell far more Unlimiteds so I think my point stands.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
No regrets at all on the 2 door. Only aggravation to me is limitations on aftermarket gear. My 2 door has a great stance, appearance, and balance. Plenty of juice from the V6. Pretty nimble and easy to navigate through tight spots. All around a great fit for me. Dimensions on the unlimited seemed odd to me when I test drove it. Felt too long and tall for how narrow it was. Like some teenager that hadn’t grown into its body yet. IMHO.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Having 2 kids we bought a JLU but after purchase i had slight "buyers remorse" wondering if we should have gone with the 2-dr. Easier to park / navigate in the city (when the wife has to drive into the office) and thought it'd be cool for kids to step on the rear tires and jump into backseat, but as i thought more about it, it made sense to get the 4dr with the added trunk space. We frequent the beach so we pack up the Jeep with cooler, beach chairs, kids toys and beach wagon, and we simply we would not able to fit all that in a 2dr. We're going to Canada for a few days and need to pack sleds so the larger trunk is a must.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Only 2 door bummer is the puny gas tank, 17.5 gallons just saddens me :(
I know the two doors get slightly better mpg, but not 4 gallons better!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Having 2 kids we bought a JLU but after purchase i had slight "buyers remorse" wondering if we should have gone with the 2-dr. Easier to park / navigate in the city (when the wife has to drive into the office) and thought it'd be cool for kids to step on the rear tires and jump into backseat, but as i thought more about it, it made sense to get the 4dr with the added trunk space. We frequent the beach so we pack up the Jeep with cooler, beach chairs, kids toys and beach wagon, and we simply we would not able to fit all that in a 2dr. We're going to Canada for a few days and need to pack sleds so the larger trunk is a must.
Yea, same boat, but honestly without the buyer's remorse. I'm one of few people who actually like the look of the 4-door over the 2. Lots of times over the last couple years where a 2-door just wouldn't have been enough to haul people/stuff, even with a trailer (get in the box, mom! lol). I'm just at that point in my life when my family is growing, and a 4-door of any vehicle just makes more sense. I still take it off road (did some awesome beach driving this summer) to a mild degree, mostly because I'm not gonna go crazy until the jeep is paid off - "never take a car payment off road." I live in a big jeep area, too, and everybody has been really complimentary and I haven't gotten the "it's not a real jeep" crud that you see from some people/online people. Plus, my sis has a 2-door, so we have both options in the family. When my daughter is grown I'll definitely scope out a 2-door, but that won't be for many years.
The 2 door vs. 4 door stuff some people keep recycling is a very interesting study in how people cope/process things that are different but really are the same. Some kid studying psych in college should take it up as a thesis topic lol

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
All in your Needs...I came out of a 2012 JK 2 door and just went to a 2019 4 door...I am really enjoying the extra room and storage...and also the ride is better with the loner wheel base...but it depends on what your needs are
Sponsored