Sponsored

Rock rails and Side Step Question

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I searched the forum and could not find a thread with the answer.

I have purchased a JLU for my son and would like some advice on rock rails and side steps from a safety/crash stand point. My question is does the combination of rock rails with a side step (ala smitybuilt Side Armor) offer more protection in a side impact than that of just the side step?

Is there a rock rail/side step "all in one" that is sold?

TIA,

Bill
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Will a large piece of metal on the side make it stronger than nothing probably but effectiveness will be minimal so don't buy this with the idea that it will be more safe.

Rock rails are designed to slide the jeep over a high rock and project the tub from rock contact when on the trail at speeds of < 10mph they are not design with side impacts in mind. Where side steps are there to make is so you can step into the jeep easily and just need to hold the weight of a person.

Yes there are rock rails that have steps or are wide enough you can step on them and there are side steps that try and look rugged and call themselves rock rails but would be junk on a trail. If your son plans on taking the jeep on trails you want something that is smooth on the bottom bolts to at least the frame and made of thick metal, but if its just for looks then who gives a fuck get what ever you like.

A good rock rail would be something like JCR has:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jcr-offroad/classic-rock-slider-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door

A good side step rail combo would be aces or the smittybilt option you asked when they make it for the JL
http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JL-Rock-Sliders-4-Door-_p_257.html

If you plan of going on the trails i would avoid something like this link bellow where the steps hang down low, great for getting in the jeep but they are rock and ground huggers and will either get ripped off right away our you will be posting them for sale soon after your first trip
https://www.quadratec.com/p/n-fab/predator-pro-nerf-steps-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
SheepJeep,

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
sorry to steal the thread but i was looking on the quadratec page and they had a roll of dampening paper that they said should be under the rock rail or side step to prevent vibration and to protect the paint underneath. Any idea of if this is true. i am thinking of getting rock rails or side steps and this is my first wrangler.
Sponsored