Sponsored

Rock Sliders and Side Step

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Any ideas of ace is working on a change to their sliders so that we don't have to rig it to not creak?
I sent off an email to Matt, in ACE customer service on Friday asking him about this so I should hear from him today. I'll post his response.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Any ideas of ace is working on a change to their sliders so that we don't have to rig it to not creak?
There is no significant issue actually. Most that you need to do is file/grind a very little bit on the slider mount flange itself. (Takes 5 min.) Many have installed and not needed to do this. Much depends about how careful you line up things before you tighten/torque the body bolts. Can tell you if anyone is squeamish about having to properly position or having to file a little bit, they don't want to be doing any slider install that involves body bolts, themselves.

No, you should not have worry about such things. Ace should tweak things a bit during manufacture, so, so much concern does not need to be made in regard to positioning when doing the install.

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
There is no significant issue actually. Most that you need to do is file/grind a very little bit on the slider mount flange itself. (Takes 5 min.) Many have installed and not needed to do this. Much depends about how careful you line up things before you tighten/torque the body bolts. Can tell you if anyone is squeamish about having to properly position or having to file a little bit, they don't want to be doing any slider install that involves body bolts, themselves.

No, you should not have worry about such things. Ace should tweak things a bit during manufacture, so, so much concern does not need to be made in regard to positioning when doing the install.

I had major creaking after my install on Thursday. Took it back with FatBoy's recommendation to file/grind as a remedy. They opted instead to use rubber inserts to "avoid future issues with rust."

I took it home and the creaking returned, but 80% better. However, the last two days it's been gone! so who knows?

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
In response to an email I sent ACE... Here's what Matt at ACE says about the squeak...

MATT
"This is something we are looking into.
The vast majority of customers have not reported any noises. But a few people have, so we investigating.
No, it's not normal and 95% or more are not having this issue.

We have had the production JL sliders on both our JL's for months and we have yet to hear anything.
If the rubi-rails were contacting the JL sliders there would be a loud metallic sound, not squeaking. This squeak is a new sound and we will figure out the cause and solution."

So, like many problems we read about, we are probably only hearing the 5%. We often never hear from the ones where everything is great cuz they are out there enjoying it. Anyway... for the record... I'm going to order ACE Rocksliders for my JL Rubi when it arrives and if it squeaks... I will fix it.. Cheers

Sponsored

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
It would be great if folks with different rails/tubes/steps/whatever would post the ground clearance at the lowest point. Everyone would benefit by knowing the difference between the Rubi Rails and any aftermarket add-on. Of course, we’d also need to know if your wheels/tires/suspension is stock or not.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In response to an email I sent ACE... Here's what Matt at ACE says about the squeak...

MATT
"This is something we are looking into.
The vast majority of customers have not reported any noises. But a few people have, so we investigating.
No, it's not normal and 95% or more are not having this issue.

We have had the production JL sliders on both our JL's for months and we have yet to hear anything.
If the rubi-rails were contacting the JL sliders there would be a loud metallic sound, not squeaking. This squeak is a new sound and we will figure out the cause and solution."

So, like many problems we read about, we are probably only hearing the 5%. We often never hear from the ones where everything is great cuz they are out there enjoying it. Anyway... for the record... I'm going to order ACE Rocksliders for my JL Rubi when it arrives and if it squeaks... I will fix it.. Cheers

I am getting the creak - front drivers side. Wonder if it had anything to do with my install. The front body bolts have a much smaller washer and connect to the body through a cylinder that looks a bit like a metal hockey puck or jar lid. When I installed the passenger side this "puck" remained fixed to the vehicle, on the drivers side it came off and I had to reposition correctly it while tightening down the body bolt.

Just talked to Matt and they are looking into it, but need help recreating. Also, have to say, Ace is amazing with customer service. Called me right away, super nice about the whole thing. Love that company.

@VJ Smedlo @docjeep @WildBlue anything similar happen during your install?

cc: @ACE Engineering

Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@gumpyhoss I’m still waiting for my JL to be built and shipped