Sponsored

Deegan 38 Rock Slider side step question

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I’m going to gel some side steps for my 2021 Rubicon 4 door. Looking for several benefits.

The Deegan 38 sliders should greatly reduce or eliminate side splatter from highway debris. We get a lot of winter time slop and salt. The side windows can get coated in minutes.

They should replace the coverage of the factory sliders and be more stout than most side steps.

I’d like to the extent possible stop parking lot dings.

Steps should make for easier entry.

These steps have built in rock lights. I’d like the lights to come on when the doors are opened like the interior courtesy lights do. Has anybody tried to wire them this way?

Looking for thoughts and/or ideas

TIA
Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Did you ever get these Deegan slider steps? I’m looking at them as well and curious for any feedback. Thanks

Riverduck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Security Contractor (Retired Military)
Did you ever get these Deegan slider steps? I’m looking at them as well and curious for any feedback. Thanks
I had no problems with the Deegan sliders but replaced them after about a year with some Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders. After I lifted the Jeep my wife needed a better step to get in and out of the vehicle.

I removed the stainless steel bolts and painted them prior to installation.

Deegan Rock Sliders no lift KO2 LT315/70R17 C

Jeep Wrangler JL Deegan 38 Rock Slider side step question IMG_0692

Jeep Wrangler JL Deegan 38 Rock Slider side step question IMG_1908

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I had no problems with the Deegan sliders but replaced them after about a year with some Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders. After I lifted the Jeep my wife needed a better step to get in and out of the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply! The pictures are very helpful, and your Jeep looks great! I am debating the same options - I was originally planning to go RSE Gen 3 Step Sliders, but I like the simplicity (and lower price) of the Deegans. Is the Deegan too narrow to use practically as a step? I am getting these primarily for my 8 and 10 year old girls to make getting into the back seat easier. They would go on a 392 Rubicon with 37s.

Riverduck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Thanks for the reply! The pictures are very helpful, and your Jeep looks great! I am debating the same options - I was originally planning to go RSE Gen 3 Step Sliders, but I like the simplicity (and lower price) of the Deegans. Is the Deegan too narrow to use practically as a step? I am getting these primarily for my 8 and 10 year old girls to make getting into the back seat easier. They would go on a 392 Rubicon with 37s.
The slider is wide enough it was just a little on the high side to get in and out of the vehicle.

Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
The slider is wide enough it was just a little on the high side to get in and out of the vehicle.
I'm going to hijack this post. @Riverduck, Do you like the Rock Slide Engineering steps? I'm going to have the same problem. XR Rubicon on order and my wife has always had trouble getting into a standard Rubi JL. I'm going to need steps but I will do some offroading and don't want anything too low. These Deegans look great but kind of like you said, they aren't much lower than having no step at all. Just curious if you like Rock Slides after you swapped?
Thanks-Tod in Arkansas

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I'm going to hijack this post. @Riverduck, Do you like the Rock Slide Engineering steps? I'm going to have the same problem. XR Rubicon on order and my wife has always had trouble getting into a standard Rubi JL. I'm going to need steps but I will do some offroading and don't want anything too low. These Deegans look great but kind of like you said, they aren't much lower than having no step at all. Just curious if you like Rock Slides after you swapped?
Thanks-Tod in Arkansas
Check that, I took a look at the Rock Slide's. I know what you're talking about now and those are BA. Probably out of my range but sweet! Perfect solution but....

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Anyone hooked these up so the lights come on when a door is opened? I'd imagine you could do like the RSE and use a magnet trigger but that would require placing one for each door which could be a wiring mess. Another option might be make the dome light be the trigger? I'm between these Deegan and the RSE but really prefer not to pay $2k for some steps on a non-daily driver.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Anyone hooked these up so the lights come on when a door is opened (like OP asked)? I'd imagine you could do like the RSE and use a magnet trigger but that would require placing one for each door which could be a wiring mess. Another option might be make the dome light be the trigger? I'm between these Deegan and the RSE but really prefer not to pay $2k for some steps on a non-daily driver.

SC_Paco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Any issues with loud creaking noises while they were on?

Sponsored

Riverduck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Any issues with loud creaking noises while they were on?
Yes the first time my sliders were mounted was from a local shop that had the sliders up against the body and I was getting more of a bumping sound so I used the spacers provided. After about the 4-5th time of unloosen body bolts, reposition slider, drive around the block, I was able to alleviate the creaking.

SC_Paco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yes the first time my sliders were mounted was from a local shop that had the sliders up against the body and I was getting more of a bumping sound so I used the spacers provided. After about the 4-5th time of unloosen body bolts, reposition slider, drive around the block, I was able to alleviate the creaking.
Mine were hitting the front body mounts so I removed them today (No more creaks). Guess I could grind them to fit but gonna look at other options.
Thanks for the info

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Has anyone actually put these Deegan rock sliders on the rocks and can tell me how they perform?
Sponsored