Sponsored

Rock Crawl Traction Control Mode (non Rubicon)

Kentano

First Name
Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
With all the money spent on lockers and axles, I'm surprised no-one came up with a traction control map for rock crawling. It can potentially offer a much cheaper, less invasive solution for most people. I think the BLD can be better if it applied brakes more aggressively/quicker on free-spinning tires. I even suspect that Jeep didn't offer traction modes for Sport/Saharas as that'd reduce the value proposition of the Rubicon.

Land Rover uses the traction modes to mimick LSD's and lockers very well as shown here:

I've seen something similar to this on street cars - though it's a standalone custom unit which has some high costs.

Has this type of solution ever been explored for an off-road application?

@Superchips JL maybe you can offer insight :idea:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kentano

Kentano

First Name
Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
My limited slip ....
Nice - did you disconnect your swaybars? If so, do you use a quick disconnect? Been trying to figure out what to get (got the mopar lift).

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Nice - did you disconnect your swaybars? If so, do you use a quick disconnect? Been trying to figure out what to get (got the mopar lift).
Yeah sway bars were disconnected here. I just unbolted the sway bar from the bottom, pushed them up and zip tied them.

JKS disconnects are over priced. I’m going to wait until teraflex come out with their version. Honestly I might just make my own using a trailer pin type through bolt and replace whenever the clip breaks.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I had very good luck with BLD on my JK. I was able to keep right up with locked TJ's on 33's. Definitely not a replacement for lockers, but WAY better than just being straight open.

The JL seems to behave in a similar way.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My limited slip in the rear worked great this weekend. And you can see BLD working in the front...tire lifts and also appears to have its power cut. I actually had to use both my lockers in my 2 door to get up this in the past.
Are those the stock JL steelies? What size tires? Lift?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My limited slip in the rear worked great this weekend. And you can see BLD working in the front...tire lifts and also appears to have its power cut. I actually had to use both my lockers in my 2 door to get up this in the past.
That's a pretty good video.

A lot of people worry about lockers and rubicon vs non-rubicon but the fact is a Sport can get you to a lot of places and you can have lots of fun. Some people need to have less Jeep envy, and more Jeep fun!

Oh, and quit thinking you have to have lockers before you can have fun. :)

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Great video! But you realize your buddy was totally BS'ng about the line you were taking, he was just wanted to see what would happen! "how's the line?...Go for it" classic :)
Sponsored