Sponsored

Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Where do I sign up to get one of these?? Looking to upgrade my "premium Alpine" system in my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited. So far I have added Infinity speakers 6.5" to the soundbar (WOW!), same Infinity speakers to the kneee panel, and 3.5" Kicker speakers in the dash. I know NOTHING about speakers or aftermarkets. Kenwood Ampl is going to be installed by a pro in 3 weeks. Unless anyone recommends an easy plug in play forthis option?? All my speakers were plug in play. Now just need to either take the plunge on $1500 worth of JL Stealthboxes or find a plug in play option for a sub in the Alpine system (preferred).
Thanks for all the info!
What model # speakers did you go with? Sounds like the soundbar gave you the most gratification, is that where you would suggest starting with?

This looks like an interesting option for the drivers side of the Jeep. I like it better than the JL box because this one would allow for a rear deck cover... https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-body-custom-enclosure/
Sponsored

areyna2313

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
What model # speakers did you go with? Sounds like the soundbar gave you the most gratification, is that where you would suggest starting with?

This looks like an interesting option for the drivers side of the Jeep. I like it better than the JL box because this one would allow for a rear deck cover... https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-body-custom-enclosure/
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing 25EA8C90-B7A5-4C84-BC82-1B72E5395AEB

Here is my order! The dash panels is the easiest (2 screws). The sound at is next then I would say passenger then driver side on the knee panels. Passenger side is way less rigorous than the driver!

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Another print update. One hour left...

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing 25EA8C90-B7A5-4C84-BC82-1B72E5395AEB
Any update? Thanks for the excellent write up on your experience going through this! I am looking to retain my factory enclosure since I already ordered a Squadbox with the hole cut out.

Thanks!

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I was on Xtreme Terrain and they sell a Rockford Fosgate 8 and 9 piece kit to replace speakers and sub. They list it all as straight drop in with no mods needed. They have the Rockford Fosgate T1S1-10 or T1S2-10 listed as fitting without needing an adaptor. Anyone try this model

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I was on Xtreme Terrain and they sell a Rockford Fosgate 8 and 9 piece kit to replace speakers and sub. They list it all as straight drop in with no mods needed. They have the Rockford Fosgate T1S1-10 or T1S2-10 listed as fitting without needing an adaptor. Anyone try this model
Depth wise yes the RF will fit but the magnet will be very close to the back of the enclosure. Not ideal given the vented pole. It also has a recommended sealed box of 0.8cuft but the factory enclosure is only 0.55cuft. I'd ask RF before buying whether they think it would be an issue.

Sponsored

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Depth wise yes the RF will fit but the magnet will be very close to the back of the enclosure. Not ideal given the vented pole. It also has a recommended sealed box of 0.8cuft but the factory enclosure is only 0.55cuft. I'd ask RF before buying whether they think it would be an issue.
So would you stick with the JL Tw3 10” then?

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
On the RF manual it says recommended sealed enclosure range is .5 - 1 cu ft

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
So would you stick with the JL Tw3 10” then?

On the RF manual it says recommended sealed enclosure range is .5 - 1 cu ft
The JL is a known quantity with a few people already running it in the factory enclosure. Both the JL and the RF will require a custom baffle as the stock Alpine is slightly larger than 10" so a 1/2" baffle should give enough clearance for the vent. If RF say it will work in a smaller enclosure then no harm in trying it. I'm going something different again with a Digital Designs SL710. I don't believe they make them any more but I was able to find an NOS one from a guy who bought it and never installed. My amp is currently on back order so could be a while before I'm up and running.

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
The JL is a known quantity with a few people already running it in the factory enclosure. Both the JL and the RF will require a custom baffle as the stock Alpine is slightly larger than 10" so a 1/2" baffle should give enough clearance for the vent. If RF say it will work in a smaller enclosure then no harm in trying it. I'm going something different again with a Digital Designs SL710. I don't believe they make them any more but I was able to find an NOS one from a guy who bought it and never installed. My amp is currently on back order so could be a while before I'm up and running.
I just wish I could find someone to make me a custom baffle or give me the file so my son could 3d print for me

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
I just wish I could find someone to make me a custom baffle or give me the file so my son could 3d print for me
I actually used the old baffle. I just turned the sub a bit and drilled and mounted the JL to it. I don’t care about the logo and it made things easy. I sat around trying to figure out the best option without going crazy on the fabrication of a new baffle and so far this is working out fine.

2A0820FD-452D-4D93-AAC5-27EF0B8BB592.jpeg

774A50B9-B0DD-4EC2-B45A-73D19E4DD47F.jpeg

Sponsored

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
That looks pretty darn good. How did you seal the stock baffle ?

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I actually used the old baffle. I just turned the sub a bit and drilled and mounted the JL to it. I don’t care about the logo and it made things easy. I sat around trying to figure out the best option without going crazy on the fabrication of a new baffle and so far this is working out fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing 774A50B9-B0DD-4EC2-B45A-73D19E4DD47F

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing 774A50B9-B0DD-4EC2-B45A-73D19E4DD47F
What do you think of overall improvement in sound. Do you want to sell sub since you are changing?

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
I screwed the stock baffle in using the stock bolts but did not use anything between that and the enclosure yet. Wanted to see how it sounded. I did use window/door seal on the back of the JL sub as there were some small gaps when I screwed it down. Now that I know it’s a keeper i will also seal the stock baffle to the enclosure.

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I screwed the stock baffle in using the stock bolts but did not use anything between that and the enclosure yet. Wanted to see how it sounded. I did use window/door seal on the back of the JL sub as there were some small gaps when I screwed it down. Now that I know it’s a keeper i will also seal the stock baffle to the enclosure.
Sorry, ignore
My question about selling. I thought you were someone else. Compared to stock what would you rate the new sub?

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Sorry, ignore
My question about selling. I thought you were someone else. Compared to stock what would you rate the new sub?
At first I was unsure. but it has broken in a bit and I think it sounds really good! I used sound deadening material on the inside which made it more dense and less plasticky. Overall I think much better especially when paired with the proper amp.
Sponsored