Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I am planning on installing a JL 10W1v3-2 in the stock enclosure. Will I need to make an adapter for that one as well? I am not sure what the difference is between that woofer and the 10TW1 that you have. I can work with wood, so I am good either way. I'd just like to have what I need in hand before everything arrives. Thanks, and great writeup!
Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I am planning on installing a JL 10W1v3-2 in the stock enclosure. Will I need to make an adapter for that one as well? I am not sure what the difference is between that woofer and the 10TW1 that you have. I can work with wood, so I am good either way. I'd just like to have what I need in hand before everything arrives. Thanks, and great writeup!
You're going to need a fairly thick adapter to get the 10W1v3-2 in there. It has a mounting depth of 4.6" and there is only about 3.2" clearance so you're looking at about a 1.5" spacer. The 10TW1 is only 3.25" deep so fits by making the adapter slightly thinker which it would need for support anyway.

What we really need is for someone to scan the mounting section of the enclosure and make a 3D printed adapter.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 3d printer that can do as large as 16x16. Do you have the measurements or anything that you can send me to help? I'd be willing to make you an adapter as well. I just don't have the ability to can things that large.

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
I have a 3d printer that can do as large as 16x16. Do you have the measurements or anything that you can send me to help? I'd be willing to make you an adapter as well. I just don't have the ability to can things that large.
Count me in. I will certainly will pay for that!

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I can trace out the grill and take some measurements from that...

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Sorry, don't have anything that might be helpful. The issue is that there are strengthing/alignment ribs in the surface where the sub mounts so it's going to need a fairly detailed scan in order to get the adapter to mount properly. I'm guessing that is why the OP made the 2 different rings for his timber adapter in order to miss the ribs. If I get a chance I'll pull the enclosure again on the weekend and get some photos. I only took photos with the new sub in place when I had it out last time so you can see anything else.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, don't have anything that might be helpful. The issue is that there are strengthing/alignment ribs in the surface where the sub mounts so it's going to need a fairly detailed scan in order to get the adapter to mount properly. I'm guessing that is why the OP made the 2 different rings for his timber adapter in order to miss the ribs. If I get a chance I'll pull the enclosure again on the weekend and get some photos. I only took photos with the new sub in place when I had it out last time so you can see anything else.
That would be great!

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So....I may have woke up early and did a thing in cad. I will print out a thin version just to see how it fits, and then make the proper inspection and changes necessary. This is the inner "smaller ring, but from this I should be able to make the necessary adjustments needed to make it work. Now...when I will be able to get to it? Maybe this weekend. Again, this is just a rough template so I can start doing all of the real math.

-Jeff
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing Speaker Template image.PNG

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Larger outer trim ring... The thickness of both of these is variable. I just wanted something beefy to look at in cad for now. I should be able to print working models in PETG for short term, which will last forever and can handle hot environments, but later on I will start making them out of ABS, or maybe even create a mold and do it that way. That is if people are interested? I will check with the Admin on here about being able to become a vendor or something, if I ever get to that point. After I get the prototyping done, I will probably look at making them one piece, but to aid with different speaker depths, it may be wise to continue with a two piece design.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Alpine Sub with Aftermarket using same housing Larger outer ring.PNG

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
So, this is a shot in the dark. But, hearing all of you speaker heads talk makes me think you can help me out. I am by no means qualified or want to get as far into it as you all have to up the sound output. I really feel that the alpine package is better then previous years. However, I would like to squeeze a bit more sound out of the JL with minimum mods to the current system. Do you guys have any recommendation for "plug and play" replacements that will produce a bit more sound?

Sponsored