Sponsored

Replacing Subwoofer in the Stock Alpine Enclosure

Grendel602

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I came across one thread where the user replaced the stock sub in the alpine enclosure but that person never got back to anyone on how they did it.

Wondering if anyone else has done it and what was needed to include which subwoofer they used. I know it is very shallow so it will need something like a JL 10Tw3.
Sponsored

Gonz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Gym Owner
I had considered it, but the big issue that stopped me from doing it was finding a sub that would line up with the stock speaker mounting holes and outline. If you look at the enclosure and the stock Alpine speaker, you'll notice it does not simply have 8 evenly spaced holes through which you'd place your screws. It looks more similar, but I don't think exactly, like the shallow mount JL you mentioned.

The other problem would be sound quality, as the stock sub box is simply a plastic enclosure that would probably be far less than optimal for a higher end sub. I had thought about ways to reinforce it, or line it with sound dampening sheets to improve rigidity.

Good luck! I just ended up going with a SSV Jeep enclosure then got a better, higher end sub to go in it. FYI, the shallow mount JL 10Wt-3 does not fit in the SSV enclosure.

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I did it. Used the shallow JL audio 12” sub. Barely fit. Honestly, for the money And mod time it takes I would do a stealth box. Actually do one on each side at 4 ohms and get a 2 ohm stable amp and your set and it will hit

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel