Replace the Rivets?

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
I'm not going to mention the company but this is the response I received via email when I mention that I had their rocker slider/steps on the jeep since last fall. I asked them about all the rust and this is what they said. "Best to replace the rivets of course then sand and respray the sliders."
Replace the rivers? I guess I need to drill out the rivets and go buy a rivet gun? I try to keep my 2020 Rubicon looking halfway nice but theses sliders are now an eye sore. I didn't think I'd be replacing rivets and painting something that is six months old. I guess to do it right I need to take both sliders off the jeep and paint them. Any suggestions on the type of paint? Thanks for letting me rant.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replace the Rivets? 20210405_142908

20210405_142919.jpg
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
RockHard 4x4 sliders? The paint finish looks like the skids I had on my last JK, including the corrosion around the edges.

As John says above, let us know what company. I've been very close to ordering a set of the RH4x4 sliders but have been hesitant with my previous coating experience.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
That is very poor customer service. The supplier should let you take it to a body shop and pay the repair bill for you.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Ok, good point, you are correct... Rockhard 4x4. They had what I was looking for, sliders that attached to the frame and acted as a step as well. I ordered the black plate that has their name cut out of it, I'm not a fan of the silver/chrome look option. When I got them the first thing I noticed is that the rivets that holds the name plate were plain metal (silver) while everything else was black. It didn't look right. I was going to spot paint the rivets in the spring so they didn't stand out so much but now they are all rusted along with other parts of the steps.
Yeah, their Customer service basically said ...deal with it. I wish I would have ordered the ones that came with the rivet gun.
I like the idea of the bed liner material. Thank you. Once I remove the name plate it won't be going back on. What a pain.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I'm not going to mention the company but this is the response I received via email when I mention that I had their rocker slider/steps on the jeep since last fall. I asked them about all the rust and this is what they said. "Best to replace the rivets of course then sand and respray the sliders."
Replace the rivers? I guess I need to drill out the rivets and go buy a rivet gun? I try to keep my 2020 Rubicon looking halfway nice but theses sliders are now an eye sore. I didn't think I'd be replacing rivets and painting something that is six months old. I guess to do it right I need to take both sliders off the jeep and paint them. Any suggestions on the type of paint? Thanks for letting me rant.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replace the Rivets? 20210405_142919

Jeep Wrangler JL Replace the Rivets? 20210405_142919

You would think they would use stainless rivets for such an application...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's not all that unusual though. Rock sliders are made of steel to take the use and abuse. They're also directly in the line of fire of water/salt spray from the front tires. Rock sliders simply are very prone to paint scratching and rust. That said, the bare rivets were definitely an oversight. Bedliner paint is likely your best bet and thorough surface prep goes a long way.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
What a pain.
Other members have posted their experiences with aftermarket bumpers, rock rails and side steps from other vendors showing advanced signs of corrosion after a winter season. Vendor responses are typical and common to yours.

Say what you will about aftermarket Mopar pricing and their parts but they typically wear better. Few aftermarket companies properly invest in winter proofing their bumpers, side steps and rock rails. 🤷‍♂️

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Don't replace the rivets. Wire brush, 3M pad then coat with POR15. After you apply the POR15 use the Raptor coating mentioned above. Or you could pant them with brushed on Rustoleum. Cut the can with 10% mineral oil first and the paint will level out smooth as it dries, if you use a halfway decent brush. It will take 3-4 days to fully dry since it is oil based. I use it on my utility trailers. If it was mine though, I'd use the Raptor coating. Or stop by a LineX place and get a quote. You'll get a better deal if you leave them there and ask them to spray when they still have some product left in their guns after doing a job.

Edit: On second though, I would drill out the rivets and pull tose steps. Looks like there is corrosion under the step plates. Wire brush, 3M and POR15, the put a coat of ratttle can black down before you re-rivet the steps on. The finish as described above. I used to work for Ranch Hand, dealing with finish issues was one of the things I did there.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i use rustoleum bed liner in a rattle can for all my skid plates and sliders.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
First, you have to stop the rust. The cost of those might dictate you get them sandblasted, after removing the rivets. Then prep the bare metal, and use whatever bed liner you want. If you just spray over the rusted stuff, the rust will just keep growing, under the liner.

FYI, I bought some Westin Step Sliders, 2 1/2 years ago, and they still look almost new. Always in the elements.

OP
OP

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't believe that I have to go through all this trouble and extra cost for something that is so new.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Most aftermarket stuff isn't finished that great. Powder coat isn't all it's cracked up to be. (see what i did there?) Anyway, one of our competitors back in the day always had this great, tough gloss black finish that never cracked or pitted. I asked the owner what it was and he wouldn't tell me because of my former affiliation. I came to find out that it was Imron airplane paint. Excellent stuff!
Sponsored