Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok so you didn’t mess with them then? I like that
No....if you have yours adjusted out for rubbing then you might need to cut drill and tap. But if you’ve never adjusted them then the Reid’s will be in the same position.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reid Racing Steering knuckles 2DDAFB1A-8019-4D10-82BA-488DF8F3272C

Last edited:

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
When I called and talked to Reid about the stops they said they are 1/4” longer than the factory stop. I believe this is fairly accurate because with my stock knuckles I had to put two washers behind them so my tie rods didn’t rub on the inside of my rim at full lock. When I put the Reid knuckles on I had no rubbing and had more clearance than I did with the factory and the washers.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We’re late to the party, but fashionably late: just got them back from Powdercoating….couldn’t live with the orange. Have the DT BJs as well. Prob not this weekend, but soon!
Jeep Wrangler JL Reid Racing Steering knuckles 88E4D8E1-39C0-474C-B899-C4E51D52493E

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Well still having a shimmy around 50 and generally crappy driving until 70. Went to tire shop for rebalance. First tire wanted to take 1lb of weight. Owner said he didn’t want to do it and sent me home. Fuck.

note I am running beadlocks... 2 x fuck right there haha

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Thought I’d share this. It appears my upper ball joint holes were wallowing out on my stock knuckles.

Glad I went Reid. The aluminum knuckles are a shockingly soft metal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reid Racing Steering knuckles 88E4D8E1-39C0-474C-B899-C4E51D52493E

Was that on both sides or just one? Looks like that would be caused by the camber sleeve not being tight in the knuckle, could be caused by loose upper ball joint (nut not being torqued properly) or an ill-fitting camber sleeve. Were the upper ball joint sleeves OEM or aftermarket?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Was that on both sides or just one? Looks like that would be caused by the camber sleeve not being tight in the knuckle, could be caused by loose upper ball joint (nut not being torqued properly) or an ill-fitting camber sleeve. Were the upper ball joint sleeves OEM or aftermarket?
Just one side. I can tell you for sure the ball joint was tightened to spec. I didn’t pay attention when I replaced my ball joints so there is a chance it was worn. It was creaking very loud when turning the wheel. Which is why I replaced them. The zerks would not stay in and water got in all of them and I didn’t know for quite some time lol. Anyways they were wrecked.

Oem sleeve. It was installed and looked the same as the other side. So yeah probably never know how it happened until someone else notices theirs and figured out a for sure cause.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Just one side. I can tell you for sure the ball joint was tightened to spec. I didn’t pay attention when I replaced my ball joints so there is a chance it was worn. It was creaking very loud when turning the wheel. Which is why I replaced them. The zerks would not stay in and water got in all of them and I didn’t know for quite some time lol. Anyways they were wrecked.

Oem sleeve. It was installed and looked the same as the other side. So yeah probably never know how it happened until someone else notices theirs and figured out a for sure cause.

The reason I asked is some of the aftermarket camber sleeves will NOT tighten in the knuckle-even at 20 ft pounds over torque spec and will destroy knuckles.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
The reason I asked is some of the aftermarket camber sleeves will NOT tighten in the knuckle-even at 20 ft pounds over torque spec and will destroy knuckles.
Ohh ok. I didn’t even know there were aftermarket sleeves available.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Well still having a shimmy around 50 and generally crappy driving until 70. Went to tire shop for rebalance. First tire wanted to take 1lb of weight. Owner said he didn’t want to do it and sent me home. Fuck.

Mine is back again, but I did notice there was .050+ vertical play in the ball joints. Been waiting over a week for Dynatrac to send me the rebuild kit………UPS came today and they sent me everything BUT the heim joints. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Went out today with the wife and the thing drove like crap when we left, felt every pebble in the road and every bump sent it into a wobble. Stopped for lunch, got back in the Jeep and started heading home and the thing drove fantastic, no shimmy whatsoever, smooth over the bumps, absolutely perfect. Literally didn’t do a damn thing other than let it sit on the street for 45 minutes while we ate and started it back up.

7A409F00-0EE5-4C3B-8188-711F112269B4.jpeg

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Do you know what brand? I JUST ordered a set of SPC sleeves to use when I rebuild the ball joints. I figured mine have been out and torqued quite a few times so I was going to replace them just in case they got wallowed out at some point.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Mine is back again, but I did notice there was .050+ vertical play in the ball joints. Been waiting over a week for Dynatrac to send me the rebuild kit………UPS came today and they sent me everything BUT the heim joints. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Went out today with the wife and the thing drove like crap when we left, felt every pebble in the road and every bump sent it into a wobble. Stopped for lunch, got back in the Jeep and started heading home and the thing drove fantastic, no shimmy whatsoever, smooth over the bumps, absolutely perfect. Literally didn’t do a damn thing other than let it sit on the street for 45 minutes while we ate and started it back up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reid Racing Steering knuckles 7A409F00-0EE5-4C3B-8188-711F112269B4
Iv actually got some wobbles now too after the install of the knuckles. 55-60ish. I hammered so hard to get them off the lower ball joint on the driver side though. Had to use a torch to get the stock knuckle off it. so I need to rebuild that one 100%. It was pretty loose. Just pumped it with grease for now. No up and down play though.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
We’re late to the party, but fashionably late: just got them back from Powdercoating….couldn’t live with the orange. Have the DT BJs as well. Prob not this weekend, but soon!
Jeep Wrangler JL Reid Racing Steering knuckles 7A409F00-0EE5-4C3B-8188-711F112269B4
Now if Reid's offered them in Mojito, I would not have bought the Mopars. I will be putting a new set of Reid's on the chopping block soon.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Try rotating the tire 180 degrees on the rim. Pita but sometimes it allows you to balance the tire when it wants that much weight.
Sponsored