Regearing 2.0?

cmmurray77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Apologies if there is already a thread on this. Has anyone that’s running 37s with the 2.0 regeared? I test drove one on 37s at a local dealership and it definitely impacts acceleration. I currently have a JKU with 37s and 4.88s. Wondering if anytime has done this yet. If so, how’s the performance and mpg’s? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What model? Sport, Sahara, Rubicon?

I would imagine with 37" regardless of engine, it would need to be regeared. Less of a factory if it is a Rubicon

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Go 5.13 to keep your engine in boost pretty much all the time.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I just regeared. JLUR 37's with the turbo. I went 5.13. Feels great, on the freeway at 80 rpms run at 2500. It stays in 8th gear alot more now, no more down shifting on every incline. I went with 5.13's because I will eventually go to 40's. You might get away with 4.88's but seems a bit expensive if you have a Rubicon with 4.10's already. If you have a sport or a Saraha might be okay. Also wheeling is awesome too, just got back from winter 4x4 jamboree in Utah and it did great.

Robbys3m3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
this is great info...ill at some point move to 5.13's im sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cmmurray77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I just regeared. JLUR 37's with the turbo. I went 5.13. Feels great, on the freeway at 80 rpms run at 2500. It stays in 8th gear alot more now, no more down shifting on every incline. I went with 5.13's because I will eventually go to 40's. You might get away with 4.88's but seems a bit expensive if you have a Rubicon with 4.10's already. If you have a sport or a Saraha might be okay. Also wheeling is awesome too, just got back from winter 4x4 jamboree in Utah and it did great.
Yes I’ll be going to a Rubicon. The JKU I have now is a Rubicon with 4.88s. What kind of mileage are you seeing now?

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Yes I’ll be going to a Rubicon. The JKU I have now is a Rubicon with 4.88s. What kind of mileage are you seeing now?
Around the city and highway 18 normally. On long road trips not so great. In Utah the speed limit is 80, so I've been getting around 14-15. Going 80-85. The Jeep really doesn't have the best aerodynamics at those speeds. If you go 65-70 it is much better.

Also Utah not flat.

I'm pretty happy with the mpg knowing I'm driving a lifted box on 37's

OP
OP

cmmurray77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Around the city and highway 18 normally. On long road trips not so great. In Utah the speed limit is 80, so I've been getting around 14-15. Going 80-85. The Jeep really doesn't have the best aerodynamics at those speeds. If you go 65-70 it is much better.

Also Utah not flat.

I'm pretty happy with the mpg knowing I'm driving a lifted box on 37's
Perfect thanks. I’m in Denver and head to the mountains frequently. Good to know.

rporter325

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0 I4 Turbo
Have a 2019 JLUR and took a road trip to Savannah from Atlanta this week. I kept finding that as I would try to accelerate over 70 uphill, I would have to drop down to fourth before I can start gaining forward momentum. Couldn’t get to 80 uphill, only flat and downhill. I just lifted my jeep 3 inches and put 37 inch trail grapplers on it prior to the trip. Just seems that 70 mph uphill makes it struggle (Has to drop to 4th and 5k rpm with full pedal). Are the issues I’m having common with not regearing from the 4.10? It still runs great in the city on low end torque, even gets up to 70 right quick on flat ground. A buddy of mine told me that it shouldn’t struggle like that. I’ve already had major headaches with FCA after wheeling it and sucking water into the transmission. Replaced it with a brand new transmission, heater, and cooler from FCA (All out of pocket $7k later) and haven’t been off Road since. Just recently upgraded tires and lift. I’m terrified to take it back after they raked me over the coals last time. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Javikid

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I have a 2018 Sport S with the 20 37s combo and no issues here. Now with almost 30,000 miles feels and runs like new. Averaging 21 mpg. I was told no need to regear with my current set up but I might anyways to improve performance. I also have no idea how much it cost to regear.

Sponsored

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a 2018 Sport S with the 20 37s combo and no issues here. Now with almost 30,000 miles feels and runs like new. Averaging 21 mpg. I was told no need to regear with my current set up but I might anyways to improve performance. I also have no idea how much it cost to regear.
I say on average it goes for $1750-$2400. I paid $1880 to have mine done using Yukon parts.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
2.0t 2dr Rubicon. 37's no regear. Thought I would try mods versus gears. Intake filter, mishimoto intercooler pipe, Racechip tuner, Pedal Commander, straight pipe cat back. Honestly, i think the etorque is the determining factor. But i have no issues with acceleration. In fact, it just as fast if not STILL quicker than stock. 8th gear mostly on the freeway. Sub 2,000 rpm in 8th going 75 (sea level respectively).

Javikid

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I agree, I will start with that list and see how the performance improves. What is this upgrade option that was included with my Sport S? Is this standard or a real upgrade and does it help with me having 37s?

20200716_111014.jpg

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 4.88 and it has been great both on and off road and stays in 8th when it should. Now if you ever plan to go with a lager tire down the road I would go with the 5.13. I'm not worried about it because if I go with anything larger than a 37" Dana 60s will be going in.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I am running 4.88 and it has been great both on and off road and stays in 8th when it should. Now if you ever plan to go with a lager tire down the road I would go with the 5.13. I'm not worried about it because if I go with anything larger than a 37" Dana 60s will be going in.
I think if you are now at 4.88, you could do a few performance upgrades and save yourself the redundancy of having to replace the gears. Its really impressive really. I had a Taurus SHO try to race me yesterday (not that I would even have a chance but it caught his attention).
Sponsored