2.0 Surge

FreeindeedMikeD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
So after getting on the accelerator to pass someone yesterday the engine felt like it was constantly surging or misfiring slightly. The tachometer was steady but I could continuously feel the vehicle surging forward. Once I came to a light and stopped, everything returned to normal. While driving it today, everything was fine until accelerating somewhat hard to get on the highway and the surging started again until I came to a stop. It just started doing this but is this something normal for the 2.0 turbo or is there a possible issue? I just purchased it two weeks ago with 15k miles. I know 91 octane is recommended but with my first fill up I used 89. Could it be a simple as a fuel octane issue?
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I’ve had issues periodically over the years (with multiple vehicles) when I had used a bad batch of gas. The issues ranged from the engine feeling lethargic to some odd behaviour like you described. Generally, using fuel from a trusted source solved the issue on the next tank.

There definitely could be an issue, but I would just drain this tank as soon as you reasonably can and fill up with 91 next time. It could be as simple as that.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I tried 89 octane for a few tanks (felt like being cheap) in my 2.0 and I didn’t have any surging issues.

I hope you get your issue resolved.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I'm about to hit 15k in mine. Have owned since new and have used 87/89/93 all without any issues similar to what you're describing. I think the bad batch of gas is plausible. Take notes and be able to specifically replicate the issue so the service tech can do the same. Good luck.

99superduty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I had this happen this week as well. Did a search and found this thread.....wondering if the OP had any resolution.

I did just fill up the tank so the gas seems plausible.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Be careful when filling. If the delivery truck is dropping fuel you probably should go elsewhere as the fuel being added to the tank stirs up the water and crud in the stations Fuel tanks and if you fill up when that’s going on you “may be the recipient of some funky fuel😏

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
The service advisor at Fort Collins Jeep told me, "do not use 91, you should be using 85 octane because people are having performance issues when using 91"

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've only put 2600 miles on my Wrangler so far, but I put 110K miles (163K total) on a VW Tiguan with a direct injection, turbocharged 4 cyl and gas definitely mattered. I've got a bit of a leadfoot and several times a check engine light would come on during hurried acceleration... and that was usually after the times I cheaped out on gas and put some lower octane in. As soon as I filled up with 93, within 30 miles, the light would go off. I'm not a mechanic, engineer, etc and this is totally annecdotal... but it definitely felt like it ran better with better gas. Shell has always been the best for me.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My 2021 2.0T has been fed 93 since the day of delivery, when I received a 17.x gallon courtesy fill-up (I wanted to dilute the 4 gallons of 87 from Toledo ASAP).

Anyway, I don't have a heavy right foot, but there have been 1 or 2 occasions when I really had to give it the beans to get away from bad driving. In each instance, the acceleration was strong and reasonably linear, with no observed hiccups like surging.

I've had one or two tanks of bad gas through the years, and poor running was observed each time, as was a dip in average fuel mileage.
Sponsored