First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I agree, I will start with that list and see how the performance improves. What is this upgrade option that was included with my Sport S? Is this standard or a real upgrade and does it help with me having 37s?

20200716_111014.jpg
So that is a limited-slip differential. If your rear right tire starts to slip, it will lock up and send power to the rear left. even though you have a 4X4, it doesnt mean all 4 wheels get power. Thats why you still need a Rubicon or aftermarket setup to get all 4 wheels engaged. I will say that I had the LSD on my JK. Match that with a really good all-terrain tire and it got me through almost everything. I ended up putting in a front e-locker and keeping the rear like that. It is worth that extra $600.

ecowan1

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Sorry to revive this thread but I cannot find anywhere people talking about regearing with the 2.0t. I am stuck between 4.88 and 5.13 I don’t know which would be optimal for city and highway use mainly. If anyone has any opinions i’d like to hear them, i have a 19 rubi with 37x13.50x18 ridge grapplers

Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 4.88 gears and I believe its a great setup with 37s. If its your daily then I would highly recommend 4.88 but if its just a weekender then 5.13 might be tempting.

Last edited:

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Sorry to revive this thread but I cannot find anywhere people talking about regearing with the 2.0t. I am stuck between 4.88 and 5.13 I don’t know which would be optimal for city and highway use mainly. If anyone has any opinions i’d like to hear them, i have a 19 rubi with 37x13.50x18 ridge grapplers
See https://bt39.com/GearWheelSpeed

I'm going to 41.8" tires and 5.38 gears and that's within 3% of the factory ratios so is 37" and 4.88.

Last edited:

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I'm curious as well. I have done quite a few performance mods to my wrangler. Currently I have been running the 4.10 stock ratio with 37's. My acceleration is fine and if I'm not loaded down,, I honestly was considering not rehearing. The only time I noticed any issues is trying to maintain 80mph when I was up on the 80 in Wyoming. I was getting passed by semi trucks. Here at sea level I don't have any issues other than I rarely see 8th gear (since I put up my roof rack 😕).

For those who have released, Whitbread did you go with? On my JK I used to have, went with G2 and they were fine.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just had 4.88's installed in my 2018 2.0T. Had been on 4.10's with heavy 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and lots of steel armor. While it's still in the 500 mile break in period, first impressions are the engine operates at lower (close to stock) RPM and better acceleration. The real test will be once it can get out on the highway to see if it will get to and hold 8th gear more often and long term fuel mileage.

I was initially wanting 5.13's, but decided on 4.88's. It's a daily driver with frequent off road trips. I also didn't want to sacrifice too much strength in the pinion head.

Dc7o2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
Just had 4.88's installed in my 2018 2.0T. Had been on 4.10's with heavy 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and lots of steel armor. While it's still in the 500 mile break in period, first impressions are the engine operates at lower (close to stock) RPM and better acceleration. The real test will be once it can get out on the highway to see if it will get to and hold 8th gear more often and long term fuel mileage.

I was initially wanting 5.13's, but decided on 4.88's. It's a daily driver with frequent off road trips. I also didn't want to sacrifice too much strength in the pinion head.
looking forward to your thoughts on the 4.88 as i can’t decide on 4.88 or 5.13. I have a similar setup with a 2020 JLUR recon, 2.0L etorque with 37” trail grapplers and lots of steel as well..

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
looking forward to your thoughts on the 4.88 as i can’t decide on 4.88 or 5.13. I have a similar setup with a 2020 JLUR recon, 2.0L etorque with 37” trail grapplers and lots of steel as well..
Just now hitting the 500 mile break-in and fluid will be changed this week. All miles were put on by my 17 yr old son. He will be changing the fluid and I am anxious to hear if he finds anything but the normal "fuzz" on the magnetic diff drain plug.

During the break-in period (never exceeding 45 mph) in city driving, he gained 2 mpg.....went from 16.2 to 18.2 mpg. I honestly wasn't expecting that much of a gain in city driving. Over the next few weeks, I'll know more what the realistic combined mpg is when he gets it out on the highways.

He reports the Jeep has re-gained it's brisk acceleration, even using a Hikeit X9 throttle controller set to ECO mode. Also it shifts at lower RPM, the engine and drivetrain don't seem to have to work so hard, and uses less throttle.

I won't be able to drive it until mid-July, but he's pretty mechanical for a 17 yr old so I trust what he's telling me (well, as much as you can trust a 17 yr old!). He was the one who wanted 5.13's cause that's what the shops around us were telling him he needed. I had sent him out to the shops to get quotes as he was paying for the labor and I paid for the parts. What I learned from that is the shops are still using the JK or JL's with the 3.6 as their point of reference. The 2.0T is a different animal, especially with the 8 spd. He's glad we went with the 4.88's as he think's it's "just right".

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Just now hitting the 500 mile break-in and fluid will be changed this week. All miles were put on by my 17 yr old son. He will be changing the fluid and I am anxious to hear if he finds anything but the normal "fuzz" on the magnetic diff drain plug.

During the break-in period (never exceeding 45 mph) in city driving, he gained 2 mpg.....went from 16.2 to 18.2 mpg. I honestly wasn't expecting that much of a gain in city driving. Over the next few weeks, I'll know more what the realistic combined mpg is when he gets it out on the highways.

He reports the Jeep has re-gained it's brisk acceleration, even using a Hikeit X9 throttle controller set to ECO mode. Also it shifts at lower RPM, the engine and drivetrain don't seem to have to work so hard, and uses less throttle.

I won't be able to drive it until mid-July, but he's pretty mechanical for a 17 yr old so I trust what he's telling me (well, as much as you can trust a 17 yr old!). He was the one who wanted 5.13's cause that's what the shops around us were telling him he needed. I had sent him out to the shops to get quotes as he was paying for the labor and I paid for the parts. What I learned from that is the shops are still using the JK or JL's with the 3.6 as their point of reference. The 2.0T is a different animal, especially with the 8 spd. He's glad we went with the 4.88's as he think's it's "just right".
Did you get 8th gear back?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get 8th gear back?
Yes....not quite as good as when it was totally stock though (thanks to lift, etc). But my son was pleasantly surprised by how much the Jeep gets into 8th gear now.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.

I got the 4.88's installed as well. It finds 8th gear all the time. I also found that you can go into manual shift mode and upshift into 8th. Then go back into auto. It will most likely hold 8th that way.

Either way, I wouldnt gear anything lower than 4.88 with 37's

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the 4.88's installed as well. It finds 8th gear all the time. I also found that you can go into manual shift mode and upshift into 8th. Then go back into auto. It will most likely hold 8th that way.

Either way, I wouldnt gear anything lower than 4.88 with 37's
I personally don't like to use manual mode to force it into a higher gear. My opinion is if the all of the parameters are being met to go to a certain gear, the computer and transmission would put it into that gear. I'll use manual mode either off road or to force a downshift for better engine braking when going descending steeper grade roads. I live in a mountainous area, which is why I stated I don't see 8th as much as it was stock (plus the Jeep is much heavier than stock).

However, after driving it a lot over the last month, plus to and from the Rubicon Trail, I am very happy with choosing the 4.88's. I feel very comfortable with the pinion head strength vs. the thinner pinion gear depth of the 5.13's.
Sponsored