Sponsored

Regarding TSB for improved steering feel...

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I was reading about getting the dealership (any dealership) to honor this or any TSB and the difference between a TSB and a recall. Anyhow, I am the 3rd owner of my 2019, does that negate all my warranty coverage anyway? ?
The first thing it says is that it's at the dealers discretion to pay for the repair (even under warranty) as it is NOT paid by manufacturer, Jeep is actually the "customer" in this situation, is how they explained it...any guidance on how to proceed would be appreciated?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through this with my 2018 Sahara a month ago: it was a bitch and a half!

Of course it didn’t help that my local Jeep dealer totally sucks. Words cannot describe how terrible they are!

I ended going to the next closest dealer, 30 miles down the freeway. They were better but still I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get them to do it.

My understanding is that a recall gets done if the vehicle is in or out of warranty; no questions asked. A TSB is done at the discretion of the dealer.

I doubt that the dealer pays for it: dealers don’t pay for squat out of their pocket. The evidence is that upon getting my Jeep back the dealer made me signed a work order for almost $1,000 in parts and labor that was going back to FCA.

FCA does require that the dealer sends them the old steering box, and there are also a list of pre-conditions that the vehicle has to meet before the dealer agrees to do the work. Lifts and mods are allowed within reason. The difficult part was uttering the magic words that the dealer needed to hear to trigger them into doing the TSB. I’ve read that other dealers were a lot more easy going.

I don’t think that it matters that you are the 3rd owner, but I don’t know for a fact.

Good luck.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
TSBs or Technical Service Bulletins address common complaints/issues for which the manufacturer has developed a solution (hopefully), whereas a recall is typically concerning something that is an immediate safety issue. Most procedures outlined in the TSB are reimbursed by the manufacturer to the dealer if the vehicle is under warranty. There should be no reason for the dealership to deny performing the procedures outlined in the TSB free of charge.

You can see in the attached TSB under "policy" it clearly states reimbursable under the terms of the warranty.

Btw - you being the 3rd owner has no impact on the vehicle warranty or TSB coverage under the warranty.

Attachments

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm in the process of getting the TSB done. I took it in a week ago. They installed a new steering damper under warranty, onto my aftermarket tierod. They then said I needed to take it back and remove the Synergy trackbar bracket and nut and either have a stock trackbar for a core or have the correct latest OEM trackbar on the vehicle. I did those things and now, they've ordered parts. But the parts are 60 days out. So, I'm headed back to the dealer to pickup my JL now.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I just went through this with my 2018 Sahara a month ago: it was a bitch and a half!

Of course it didn’t help that my local Jeep dealer totally sucks. Words cannot describe how terrible they are!

I ended going to the next closest dealer, 30 miles down the freeway. They were better but still I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get them to do it.

My understanding is that a recall gets done if the vehicle is in or out of warranty; no questions asked. A TSB is done at the discretion of the dealer.

I doubt that the dealer pays for it: dealers don’t pay for squat out of their pocket. The evidence is that upon getting my Jeep back the dealer made me signed a work order for almost $1,000 in parts and labor that was going back to FCA.

FCA does require that the dealer sends them the old steering box, and there are also a list of pre-conditions that the vehicle has to meet before the dealer agrees to do the work. Lifts and mods are allowed within reason. The difficult part was uttering the magic words that the dealer needed to hear to trigger them into doing the TSB. I’ve read that other dealers were a lot more easy going.

I don’t think that it matters that you are the 3rd owner, but I don’t know for a fact.

Good luck.
Thank you, what were the magic words? Please didn't work?

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would think the magic words are My Rig is wandering and needs constant corrections to keep it straight.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, what were the magic words? Please didn't work?
I would think the magic words are My Rig is wandering and needs constant corrections to keep it straight.
Yeah. The magic words are along the lines of "my steering wanders all over the road" and "my steering pulls to the right."

Having said that, these words didn't work with my local dealer; they kept blaming the Mopar lift (which they installed!), the tires, the crown on the road, the alignment of the moon with the stars, etc. They worked with the 2nd dealer, though.

In my case, the TSB gave the steering a nice, heavy weight, and eliminated the pull to the right almost completely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Is there some sort of recall out on our steering box?
Not a recall, a TSB for possible steering box issue and it's correction. I do not recall, specific numbers, shouldn't be to hard to find right here, that's where I saw it, sorry

Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
My dealer did the swap for me with all aftermarket steering components (Synergy tie rod, drag link, track bar and bracket/sector shaft brace), 37s and a 2" lift, on my Jeep

I guess it all depends on the service manager.

Edit: After further review, I think I removed the bracket/brace before I took it in cuz I thought it might be a deal killer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
My dealer did the swap for me with all aftermarket steering components (Synergy tie rod, drag link, track bar and bracket/sector shaft brace), 37s and a 2" lift, on my Jeep

I guess it all depends on the service manager.

Edit: After further review, I think I removed the bracket/brace before I took it in cuz I thought it might be a deal killer.
thanks all

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Going in for service in a few weeks for this issue. Anyone have experience with Sarasota Jeep?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
For what it's worth, I have a '18 Sahara. I had the steering gear replaced after one year under warranty. I have an extended warranty and asked for the TSB (software update for improved steering feel) along with a new Uconnect screen (under warranty) a couple of weeks ago. I paid my deductable and had to pay for the TSB. The software update was a waste of money, made no difference at all.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
For what it's worth, I have a '18 Sahara. I had the steering gear replaced after one year under warranty. I have an extended warranty and asked for the TSB (software update for improved steering feel) along with a new Uconnect screen (under warranty) a couple of weeks ago. I paid my deductable and had to pay for the TSB. The software update was a waste of money, made no difference at all.
ok, and thanks....besides the tech upgrade, the 2 bolts should have been replaced to match in size, as they do not match stock, not sure why that would matter regarding not helping, but never know?
Sponsored