OP

cthomas31

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S Manual Soft top
Anyone know if my December 2018 purchased JLUR with less than 17,000 miles might get warranty coverage of the steering box installation?

This thing has been a handful since day one.
They should cover it under warranty. My dealership did it no problem. Go to more than one dealer if they decline for some reason but they shouldn’t. You should print out the service bulletin and show it to them so they know exactly what you’re asking for. Make sure you tell them there’s lots of play in the wheel as well. If they drive it and think it’s ok they might try to argue with you but I would push them to replace it. Be willing to wait some time for parts to be ordered and replaced. It took my local dealer a week but others have said 2-3 weeks due to limited parts availability at times.
Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They should cover it under warranty. My dealership did it no problem. Go to more than one dealer if they decline for some reason but they shouldn’t. You should print out the service bulletin and show it to them so they know exactly what you’re asking for. Make sure you tell them there’s lots of play in the wheel as well. If they drive it and think it’s ok they might try to argue with you but I would push them to replace it. Be willing to wait some time for parts to be ordered and replaced. It took my local dealer a week but others have said 2-3 weeks due to limited parts availability at times.
I was originally told 5-7 business days for parts to arrive. Received an automated phone call the NEXT DAY , that parts are at dealership. Had repairs done a few days later..... very happy with outcome.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks guys. I have put all kinds of aftermarket steering parts on it chasing the loose feel. I have Steersmarts draglink, tierod, and trackbar. I had a synergy brace, but just took it off today, so the tech doesn't bitch the new box installation, hopefully next week.

My steering box is the original Mk 1 2018 version. After installing all that stuff it got pretty tight. Then I cranked on the adjuster on the box and it's actually not terrible. But, I want the TSB. Next month is the end of warranty, and I just want that last component. I've heard all the horror stories of the early aluminum box locking up in cold weather. I don't need that.

And just for you guys that had 18-19 JLs with original trackbars, when they do the TSB, they put in the latest trackbar (stiffer bushings). That makes all the difference. When I put my SS Yeti Pro in, the steering went from very scary to pretty decent. The last bit was in the box adjustment. I think there is a bit more in a new iron box, but with mine cranked it may amount to not much difference.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Looking at 08-074-20 REV. E (which I believe supersedes all other versions of this TSB), I see an indication to the service tech regarding lifts.

NOTE: Vehicles that have professionally installed lift kits, that are within the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, are eligible for the repair described in this TSB. However, if the vehicle has been lifted or modified beyond the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, this TSB is not likely to address the customer’s concern of wander, leads and pulls.
After I installed my lift last spring I took it to Jeep dealership to get things aligned. So, I'm guessing that my alignment specs should be within the "limits".

What do you think? Will this be a problem?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not sure if that’s the case or not. It’s interesting that they moved to steel if the type of metal doesn’t matter. If that were the case, why not just stick with aluminum and fix whatever else is causing it? Wouldn’t that be the cheaper option? I’ve also seen videos saying the manual adjustment on the aluminum box helped but later had it replaced with the steel box and made it much better. This guy did one on his gladiator:
Took more than a year. Steering gear was replaced. Night and day.

If I hear "It's a Jeep thing" one more time....

edit:
The dealer that sold the Jeep didn't test it right. Steering problem was at highway speed. Not walking speed on new pavement.

It's not a Jeep Thing. It's a Jeep Dealer Thing.

With @JeepCares help and referral to FCA Jeep Canad Customer Care the problem was solved really well by a Jeep Dealer that cared.

Dave

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepLeague

First Name
Keni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport S 2 dr.
I assume that if your Jeep is out of warranty, I would have to pay to have the new steel gearbox installed. I have the powertrain warranty left, which I don't think covers it. I just purchased a 2020 JL and do have this issue as well. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I assume that if your Jeep is out of warranty, I would have to pay to have the new steel gearbox installed. I have the powertrain warranty left, which I don't think covers it. I just purchased a 2020 JL and do have this issue as well. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
I'd put the DIY at a moderate difficulty. The box is pretty inexpensive online. If you don't have the experience to do it, maybe a friend with some mechanical aptitude and tools could help.

JeepLeague

First Name
Keni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport S 2 dr.
I'd put the DIY at a moderate difficulty. The box is pretty inexpensive online. If you don't have the experience to do it, maybe a friend with some mechanical aptitude and tools could help.
Thank you, that seems to be my only option. That gear box is expensive lol

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you, that seems to be my only option. That gear box is expensive lol
Each model of Jeep requires a different model of steering box. Your 2door would take a different model box than my JLUR.
Sponsored