Recommended lift kit

roaddawg

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Okay, I have decided to I want a 2.5" lift kit for my stock JLU sport. The 2019 sport has 42K miles on it. I have $1500 to spend. What kit do I get. I have had two local jeep guys tell me different things. 1 said simply keep stock springs and shocks and add a $400 spacer lift kit. Another said spend a little more and get the Rough Country kit. I am thinking more along the lines of the Mopar kit or maybe a comparable Teraflex. But having never had a lift kit before, and in doing research there are so many companies, all claiming to be the best, what's my best options given my vehicle, mileage and finances? Thanks for any responses that will aid in my making a selection.

Probably should have added that 80 to 85% of time will be on road, daily driver, highway time. Will be adding tires (maybe 35's) after.
Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I have decided to I want a 2.5" lift kit for my stock JLU sport. The 2019 sport has 42K miles on it. I have $1500 to spend. What kit do I get. I have had two local jeep guys tell me different things. 1 said simply keep stock springs and shocks and add a $400 spacer lift kit. Another said spend a little more and get the Rough Country kit. I am thinking more along the lines of the Mopar kit or maybe a comparable Teraflex. But having never had a lift kit before, and in doing research there are so many companies, all claiming to be the best, what's my best options given my vehicle, mileage and finances? Thanks for any responses that will aid in my making a selection.

Probably should have added that 80 to 85% of time will be on road, daily driver, highway time. Will be adding tires (maybe 35's) after.
Is that $1500 including installation? Keep in mind some lift kits have more parts and a shop may charge more to install those.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
If you can find the right Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks you can get about 2" from swapping those. Order the Mopar LCA and put them on at the same time. If you buy a good lift kit it will come with replacement LCA.

I don't know if I had the best combination of Rubicon takeoff springs but I got 1.5" lift front and 2" lift rear. A small spacer front would have evened it out. I ordered the Mopar LCA and added them at the same time.

Sponsored

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
If someone recommended you a Rough Country lift never talk to them again.
RC does have a bad reputation - they are a budget minded solution. So it would be ok if you were only using the lift for aesthetics, and not super performance oriented. Even their lower end stuff, the nitrogen charged shocks are still an upgrade over a Sport OEM shock.

I wouldn't spend the money on the higher priced RC stuff, but to each their own.

A spacer lift will give you no performance gains really - just a more aggressive stance.

I've heard good things about the AEV Dual Sport lift kits for your application.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

This would be worth a watch.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I agree, this test was very informative. I wish they had the Mopar lift in the mix though. That would have really rounded out the testing. But I'm still impressed with the massive scale they pulled off for that single test to produce 2 videos.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

this video sold me on the Dynatrac lift and im very happy with it. Had a mopar lift i never installed due to so much negative feedback. I added .5 spacer to my Dynatrac lift to put it at 2.5”. Also added Mopar lcas. Itdrives great as is.

rubicon suspension with spacers added would be a great option.

ive dealt with RC spacer lift a few times and its a good kit. Its spacers and shock extenders; not much to go wrong.

if its mostly road driving and you want the lift for looks, go with RC or rubicon with spacer and save yourself $1k!
you can out that towards bigger/better tires.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Mopar lift is a pretty big lift which will require a few additional parts

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@roaddawg I was in the same situation you are several years back and met a shop owner and member here, he’s @TTEChris of Tank Customs here in Houston.

I went to him shortly after I got my 2018 JL and wanted a lift and bigger tires but instead of selling me what he could to make more $$ he sat me down and ask me what I was going to be doing with my Jeep and like you 80-90% of the time it’s my daily driver back and fourth to work and occasionally get on some back roads and in the sand at the beach and he told me to save my $$ and just do a boost and he installed an RC 2.5” boost and then put some BFG KO2 35’s with some Method wheels and couldn’t be happier.

I‘ve had it installed almost 3 years and have zero issues, I rotate every 5k miles on tires and DT said my tires are wearing perfect with total even wear and I will likely get close to if not slightly over 50k miles out of them.

You have to decide what you want to do with your Jeep and go from there and for me since I don’t rock crawl or do any hard core offroad stuff my budget friendly RC boost has worked out and having such an honest shop owner like Chris from Tank Customs really helped

Before any mods

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift kit 0E89B303-234B-4755-80F6-0270D45814F8

After several mods and this is 3 years old

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift kit D4EF4142-A7D8-4FAC-AD6D-BD1C1C23700E

OP
OP

roaddawg

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
First off, I want to thank everyone who has responded. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience, and not having to sort through a salesman trying to sell you on something you might not need. Given the responses, I might try checking out OfferUP, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and start with Rubicon take-offs and spacers. And see about ordering the LCA (long control arm?) to put on. Is it just one control arm that I would need?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
First off, I want to thank everyone who has responded. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience, and not having to sort through a salesman trying to sell you on something you might not need. Given the responses, I might try checking out OfferUP, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and start with Rubicon take-offs and spacers. And see about ordering the LCA (long control arm?) to put on. Is it just one control arm that I would need?
UCA Upper Control Arm
LCA Lower Control Arm

I found this diagram helpful:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift kit 1620160341734

I second watching that video if you haven’t already. I went with the AEV as they graded its ride quality on road as better than stock. I’m very happy with it and it seems to flex pretty good. It took a weekend to put it on.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Make sure you check the Members Marketplace here on the forum for Rubi take-off suspension!! There are some really great deals to be had from fellow Jeepers.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/suspension-steering-chassis.54/

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Browse the classifieds and eBay. I pieced together my lift, I was not decided on shocks at the so ended up with rubicon take offs with relocation brackets. I am very pleased with the ride, it’s better than stock sport. And it has allowed me to save money on things I know I will be changing out later as deals come up.

The springs gave me right at 3” of lift on a JLU Sport Soft top.

Dynatrac springs used $250
Rubicon take off shocks $75
Shock relocation (poison frog on amazon) $55
Core4x4 Adjustable front track bar $230
Mopar Lower longer control arms $70
Sponsored