Sponsored

Recommendations for floor jack and stands?

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Looking to do more hands on maintenance and mods in the future. Any recommendations on floor jacks and stands? Not afraid to buy once and cry once.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
These are simple enough devices that it only makes sense to go high end if they're in use every day at a shop. For occasional personal use, just not going cheap is sufficient. Don't sweat it too much.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
The Harbor Freight low profile jack goes on sale regularly for 115-130 bucks and will do great - check the project farm vids on jacks
Jack stands just make sure you get something with good welds and real lock pins, mine have big triangle steel pins that will never break but some have thin pins that can shear. check the real reviews (not the 3 thumbs ups ones) as some really good brands are making really bad stands now. shop around.

I'm pretty sure I have these from Home Depot:
Big Red
6-Ton Double-Lock Steel Jack Stands (2-Pack)
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations for floor jack and stands? Screenshot 2022-11-13 163626

70 right now but they have gone on sale before

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
The Harbor Freight low profile jack goes on sale regularly for 115-130 bucks and will do great - check the project farm vids on jacks
Jack stands just make sure you get something with good welds and real lock pins, mine have big triangle steel pins that will never break but some have thin pins that can shear. check the real reviews (not the 3 thumbs ups ones) as some really good brands are making really bad stands now. shop around.

I'm pretty sure I have these from Home Depot:
Big Red
6-Ton Double-Lock Steel Jack Stands (2-Pack)
Screenshot 2022-11-13 163626.jpg

70 right now but they have gone on sale before
Those are a great option, been using them for years on multiple wranglers. They also are sold by Walmart under the brand ā€œā€Black Jackā€ and they also carry the matching floor jack thatā€™s also good.

just noticed on them that they are the ā€œTorinā€ brand and ā€œBlack Jackā€ is the model.

Last edited:

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
I bought this Arcan floor jack and these Pro-Lift jack stands. They've both served me very well.

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
If I remember correctly we paid like $180 for the floor jack and two stands in total. They have a 15 inch minimum height to a 23inch max height adjustment.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations for floor jack and stands? image

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have 2 floor jacks. I just put a new suspension on my F150 and it made things a lot easier. One is a Craftsman, about 20 years old, the other is a Torin Big Red from Northern Tools.

I have just 2 jack stands that came with the Craftsman jack. I need to get 2 more.

Like was said above, you don't need a high end jack or stands. Forget those NASCAR forged aluminum ones. And avoid the junk with made up names that you see on Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Obviously a low profile floor jack is not needed for a Jeep. What about the maximum height on jack stands?

Sponsored

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously a low profile floor jack is not needed for a Jeep. What about the maximum height on jack stands?
The Pro-Lifts I mentioned have a maximum height of 23.5". The problem you run into is, the taller the max height, the wider the base needs to be. You get to the point where it's not reasonably safe to go much higher without it being on a lift.

I use the jack stands mostly under the axles, they aren't good for much under the frame after the 3.5" lift.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
interested on this, too -lack of sufficient height has been my main pain with my jack (not so much the stands), to the point that I got ramps.

So, following this thread to see what people are doing!

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
The Pro-Lifts I mentioned have a maximum height of 23.5". The problem you run into is, the taller the max height, the wider the base needs to be. You get to the point where it's not reasonably safe to go much higher without it being on a lift.

I use the jack stands mostly under the axles, they aren't good for much under the frame after the 3.5" lift.
Would you recommend people like the OP and I get a portable lift? Something like this, for example? Definitely pricier by orders of magnitudeā€¦ is this the only option to work safely with space under high cars?

Thanks!

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
interested on this, too -lack of sufficient height has been my main pain with my jack (not so much the stands), to the point that I got ramps.

So, following this thread to see what people are doing!
This is outside of the price range of most people but, I bought a QuickJack. It's pricy but I saw it as spending $2k to have a shop put my lift n or I could invest in something I'd be able to use repeatedly. It has been brilliant and has easily paid for itself already.

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you recommend people like the OP and I get a portable lift? Something like this, for example? Definitely pricier by orders of magnitudeā€¦ is this the only option to work safely with space under high cars?

Thanks!
See my reply above. That's what I did, but obviously not for everyone.
Sponsored