Rear window rattling

KingBlotto

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Audi Q7, Chapparal 227ssx
Wow talk about a tech having no idea what he is doing. All you need is silicon spray or grease. The spray doesn't last as long. I believe the culprit is the gasket on the edge of the window but I put the stuff below on all gaskets and wiped off the excess... viola... no noise. Stuff is amazing, can use it on brake calipers, etc...

upload_2019-1-12_18-31-19.png
I just picked some of this at lunch after reading this post and boom problem gone. Thank you so much for your post. Beer on me if you’re ever riding through bama !!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked some of this at lunch after reading this post and boom problem gone. Thank you so much for your post. Beer on me if you’re ever riding through bama !!
Deal! LOL.
BTW, that will eventually wear off so I went the route of Teflon Tape. I bought some and taped/folded it over the lip of teh tailgate and voila... gone forever!

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Deal! LOL.
BTW, that will eventually wear off so I went the route of Teflon Tape. I bought some and taped/folded it over the lip of teh tailgate and voila... gone forever!
Can you send a picture of where you applied the tape? What Teflon tape did you use? Thanks!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Wow talk about a tech having no idea what he is doing. All you need is silicon spray or grease. The spray doesn't last as long. I believe the culprit is the gasket on the edge of the window but I put the stuff below on all gaskets and wiped off the excess... viola... no noise. Stuff is amazing, can use it on brake calipers, etc...

upload_2019-1-12_18-31-19.png
@mgroeger thank you for the tip! I applied some of this stuff to the bottom seal of the rear window glass and it totally eliminated the rattle!

I just got my Jeep back from the shop after a rear bumper collision repair (see https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...stions-on-getting-it-repaired-properly.79566/). I never noticed this rattle before and thought maybe they got something misaligned in the repair. Maybe the rattle had already started slightly and I never noticed...I do listen to my music loud :)...and the seal dried out more or something with the drier weather now. Anyway...rattle gone!

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
@LoveBugJL

Look closely at the large gasket along the bottom of hatch window. You will notice a very deep part of the gasket.... that deep part is where say a 1/4" of your painted rear tailgate's upper edge goes into. It is there where you need to use the bulb grease. Do all the way across ...apply in that deep part. After you get it applied wipe off the heavy stuff so, down the road you do not lean against it.... get it on your clothes. etc.
@Rhinebeck01 you have a JL? I have a 2021 JLU 80th Anniv (Sport S) and the top edge of the tailgate does not go into that groove. It rests against the gasket below that deep groove. Just curious...as mine doesn't look as you described. Maybe there is a variation between Sport/Rubicon/etc?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger thank you for the tip! I applied some of this stuff to the bottom seal of the rear window glass and it totally eliminated the rattle!

I just got my Jeep back from the shop after a rear bumper collision repair (see https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...stions-on-getting-it-repaired-properly.79566/). I never noticed this rattle before and thought maybe they got something misaligned in the repair. Maybe the rattle had already started slightly and I never noticed...I do listen to my music loud :)...and the seal dried out more or something with the drier weather now. Anyway...rattle gone!
Glad I could help. Personally I got tired of applying the lube every few months and switched over to the Teflon tape method I describe up the thread.

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Thought I was losing my mind with the rattle and creak, but seems like I’m in good company. I’ve been using silicone spray but it only works for a few weeks. Trying the tape option. The fact that I have to resort to tape to fix an issue on this fairly expensive vehicle is pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

jason4588

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler
Trying the tape option is my next move. Jeep has been at the dealership for two days. I even went out with my coworker and we pin pointed the problem to the lower seal on the rear window.

When I dropped the Jeep off I told them the process I went through to isolate the part, now they called and said the tech cant replicate the problem.....wtf

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Trying the tape option is my next move. Jeep has been at the dealership for two days. I even went out with my coworker and we pin pointed the problem to the lower seal on the rear window.

When I dropped the Jeep off I told them the process I went through to isolate the part, now they called and said the tech cant replicate the problem.....wtf
Put the tape on and spray the seal down with some silicon spray and call it a day.
Sponsored