1. ASMSAS

ASMSAS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marlene
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Aviation
    I have been out of town for a few weeks and when I got back I jumped in my Jeep again. First thing I noticed was a sound that wasn't there before. It sounds like something is loose in the compartment in the rear and is moving around when I corner or stop and go. I checked but there's nothing there and I couldn't find anything that I missed that was loose in the vehicle. It sounds like plastic creaking or hitting plastic, (tka tka tka).

Last night my husband climbed in the back while I drove around to try and pin down the sound. He found that pushing on the rear window stopped the sound. So it seems the rear window is not sitting fast against the seal, or the seal is weak or loose so the movement of the car causes it to compress and release creating a sound...

Before I go ask a Jeep tech to hop in the back baggage area and go for a ride >:) , has anyone had anything like this before?

2. rockitfuel

rockitfuel New Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler 2 door, 2010 Smart Passion, 1979 Jeep CJ-7
    Liked:
    I get dull thump sound I think you are talking about. Comes and goes on bumpy trails and bothers me. having the seals clean seems to help a bit

3. Gbart

Gbart Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gord
    Vehicle(s):
    15 JKR *Firecracker*, 19 JLUR *Mojito!*
    Liked:
    There is another thread somewhere about this. Put a liberal amount of liquid dish soap on all the rubber seals around the back window and see if that helps. I tried it and it helped mine. It lasts quite a while before the noises return.

4. jessedacri

jessedacri Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
    Liked:
    I've been tracking down a similar noise too for months - I found it to be coming from the metal latch for the tailgate. I was able to replicate the noise by pulling down on/shaking the spare tire while the tailgate is closed. Applied some marine grease (what I had laying around) to all the seals around the windows and tailgate, and on the metal latch piece itself and it seems to have gone away for now.

ASMSAS likes this.
  5. DanFelix

DanFelix Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
    Liked:
    I too hear a rattle, but my experience is that it is temperature related. On cold days it will rattle, on not cold days there is no noise. I attribute it to the mix of metal and fiberglass expanding/contracting at different temps. The noise may be the rear window and temp related. The window, to my observation, does not have any hard surface contact points. All seem to have a rubber layer between surfaces.

6. OP
    OP
    ASMSAS

ASMSAS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marlene
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Aviation
    Thanks guys, I'll try lubing the rubber seal around the window and if that doesn't do it I'll look at the latch.

7. OP
    OP
    ASMSAS

ASMSAS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marlene
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Aviation
    Do you mean to just wipe dish soap all along the seal and let it dry or rinse it off first?

8. Gbart

Gbart Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gord
    Vehicle(s):
    15 JKR *Firecracker*, 19 JLUR *Mojito!*
    Liked:
    No rinsing. Just wipe it on so that the rubber looks nice and shiny and close everything up. It dries on its own but when you feel the rubber seals afterwards they almost have a silky feel to them. The result was immediate on mine.

9. JeepCares

JeepCares Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    We certainly understand why this may be frustrating. Should you be unable to remedy this yourselves and decide to have our dealers take a look, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via PM for additional assistance.
    Alex
    JeepCares

10. jkmorrell

jkmorrell Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Sahara
    Liked:
    Yes! A LOT of us are having this chirping sound.
    I found this thread yesterday, and there's a couple quick fixes in there!
    Dig in:
    https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/power-sky-removable-windows-squeaking-noises.25487/

11. OP
    OP
    ASMSAS

ASMSAS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marlene
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Aviation
    I did not sue soap but I used a degreaser cleaner and wiped the whole rear door and rear window seals and I have not heard anthing the last 300 miles. If it comes back I’ll try Sil-Glyde next.

So it was definitely the seal making noise.

DanFelix and Gbart like this.
  12. Bones69

Bones69 New Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Asmas, my seal is driving me nuts as well. Used dishwasher soap, but did not last. Before I pick up sil-glyde, did the degreaser do the trick? If so, which degreaser did you utilize? Appreciate the help.

13. Tiger1

Tiger1 Member

First Name:
    Tiger
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
    Liked:
    #13 Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I experienced the same thing. Climbed in back & had my wife drive & it was definitely the seal between the hardtop glass & gate. Sil-glyde eliminated the noise & has been quiet for about 4 weeks now.

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubricant/dp/B000KXLR5E/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JSWFDO1256XZ&keywords=sil-glyde+lubricant&qid=1583337912&s=automotive&sprefix=sil-glyde,automotive,159&sr=1-2