Rear headrest removal

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This is a little old so I assume nobody figured out a way yet? :)
Sponsored

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
There is probably a way to remove them, but the manual says they are not removable. Good luck!
The only way to take them off, you have to remove the back part of the seat in order to get to the head rest. Don’t know if it’s worth it or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I have not found a way to do this... and it seems that the only way is removing the back part of it and I don’t think it would be an easy task....
this is very unfortunate and really bothers me, it’s the first time I can’t remove back seat headrests...

Ruiz87usn

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport
I would like to know as well. I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon and in the user manual, it shows that the rear headrests are able to fold forward to compensate for the open space. They fold forward (only 90 degrees when the seats are folded down, but NOT what it illustrates within the manual. I should be able to put them all the way forward to place my car seat in. Does anyone else see what I am talking about?
ive seen what you mean in other rubicons, where there are headrests taht fold all the way forward, as in 180 degrees, but ive only seen it in a JL rubi and not a JLU, and its not in my JLU sport s.

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
ive seen what you mean in other rubicons, where there are headrests taht fold all the way forward, as in 180 degrees, but ive only seen it in a JL rubi and not a JLU, and its not in my JLU sport s.
I’m still looking for options here. Mine only folds 90 degrees forward which is the problem.

I am looking to see if I can get someone with experience removing the seat covers to get to the headrest. I don’t like how the car seats are placed now... They work, but they don’t feel as good as they used to in my previous vehicles.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still looking for options here. Mine only folds 90 degrees forward which is the problem.

I am looking to see if I can get someone with experience removing the seat covers to get to the headrest. I don’t like how the car seats are placed now... They work, but they don’t feel as good as they used to in my previous vehicles.
The rear headrests in the two-door model fold all the way forward, while the headrests in the four-door model only fold to 90 degrees. Unfortunately it seems that for the four-door models (according to the manual) if the headrests on the outside seats don’t allow the seat to be installed properly, you have to install it in the middle where the headrest is removable if it’s in the way. Which ironically, almost make the two-door model the more child seat friendly one. However, when installing in the middle you have to make sure if you are using the latch system that the latches on the car seat aren’t rigid.

It’s all definitely a huge PITA, but be sure to read the owner’s manual and your car seat manual to ensure you get it installed properly.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
Has anyone figured out how to remove the headrest? I have a toddler and want to just permanently remove it. I don’t care if it takes a couple hours to remove/reinstall. I’m about to take a sawzall to it.

Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Has anyone figured out how to remove the headrest? I have a toddler and want to just permanently remove it. I don’t care if it takes a couple hours to remove/reinstall. I’m about to take a sawzall to it.
I wish I had. I ended up taking the back off my 2 boys booster seats and using the included belt strap that brings the seat belt lower on their shoulder for the right fit. My 6 year old is now tall enough where he doesn't need that. I am pretty sure if my kids were still in their old 5 point car seats they would not fit nice with that horrible design.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
According to all the documentation, they are not removable.

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
There has to be a way to take the seat apart to access the headrest mount.
I agree but I have not found a way yet and I am not sure I want to take the seats apart....

I know there is a lot of us that would be interested.... I even went to a couple of shops and they said no.

If you do, please take lots of pictures!
Sponsored