Rattling upon acceleration

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
Injector cleaner added when the tank is almost empty (temporarily?) cured mine. I'm sure it will come back but I can run low octane fuel right now with no pinging.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Just experienced this "rattling" the other day. Interesting enough, I recently switched to 89 octane from 87 octane to quiet down my ticking valve train. 2021 JLUR w/ 32k miles. Guess I will run some fuel system cleaner through it.

CdnJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
New TSB out on this for 'spark knock'. Symptoms are exactly this rattling I have and described by others. After testing fuel octanes across different stations, sometimes reduced rattling slightly but now it's back even louder. TSB calls for new PCV valve, plugs, head and valve cover gasket so far. Will report after mine is done.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, so perhaps the factory installed plugs that were too 'hot'. That makes sense. I'd swap them myself but I think all the rest of that hours long work is needed to swap the plugs in this motor.

I know you have to remove the intake manifold at the least. I might just let them do it if its a TSB now. They can replace all the gaskets and check the oil filter adapter/cooler for leaks which is also an issue while in there.

If anyone cares to see what's involved. I had a friend who sold his 3.6 jeep some years ago because he wasn't ok with swapping the spark plugs himself and that was big deal to him

Last edited:

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
New TSB out on this for 'spark knock'. Symptoms are exactly this rattling I have and described by others. After testing fuel octanes across different stations, sometimes reduced rattling slightly but now it's back even louder. TSB calls for new PCV valve, plugs, head and valve cover gasket so far. Will report after mine is done.
Do you have the TSB number for us so we can check it out?

Sponsored

CdnJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Waiting for warranty replacement infotainment screen and flash will be done at the same time. Not clear on ETA yet. Symptoms are exactly what we all mention here so maybe check your dealer for Spark Knock TSB, you might get the result before I do.

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
Waiting for warranty replacement infotainment screen and flash will be done at the same time. Not clear on ETA yet. Symptoms are exactly what we all mention here so maybe check your dealer for Spark Knock TSB, you might get the result before I do.
Yep, please release the TSB number when you have it, I'm also in Canada and interested to see what dealers here will say.

llyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The rattle is 100% replicatable at above 83F ambient temperatures, engine is really hot, and in 2nd and 3rd gear at 3000 RPM.

The Oxigen Sensor on the driver side has this bracket holding its cable. The metal is made out of hard metal and rings like a bell. Obviously every engine has a slightly rough spot at certain RPMs. The Pentastar seems to be vibrating a bit more at 3000 RPM and this bell attached tol the oxygen sensor comes into resonance. You remove this braket and the rattle is gone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling upon acceleration 20230408_085542

Sponsored

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
The rattle is 100% replicatable at above 83F ambient temperatures, engine is really hot, and in 2nd and 3rd gear at 3000 RPM.

The Oxigen Sensor on the driver side has this bracket holding its cable. The metal is made out of hard metal and rings like a bell. Obviously every engine has a slightly rough spot at certain RPMs. The Pentastar seems to be vibrating a bit more at 3000 RPM and this bell attached tol the oxygen sensor comes into resonance. You remove this braket and the rattle is gone.

He that's a very good finding. Can you please share pictures of where this is located on the wrangler JL so I can find it and test your solution on mine ?

llyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxygen sensor driver side
He that's a very good finding. Can you please share pictures of where this is located on the wrangler JL so I can find it and test your solution on mine ?
The metal plank is on the Oxygen sensor driver side. Open the hood and look down at the exhast catalyc conver next to the steering shaft.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s

just leave no brak

did you just remove it or replace with something? i truly hope this does it, dreading summer and this sound

llyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just removed it. The cable has taken the shape it needs and is not falling on the exhaust.

CdnJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My TSB service for this is still waiting on parts. It's a large engine repair apparently that includes tearing down and carbon cleaning down to the block and a new PCV valve system design. My current fuel mileage and power is down. First Jeep product, may be our last.
Sponsored