Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Probably. After some Googling it doesn't seem that zandov.com is reputable.

I have been watching Amazon for awhile now and they are back available now for $249 today.
At ~$500 I couldn't do it, especially after these used to be <$200. I just ordered one off of Amazon for $249. I also added the Topsy JLU kit and their steel cams.

I plan to install this in my garage's large bay which is designed to fit an RV: 30 ft deep, 13 ft wide, and 16 ft high. Unfortunately, the joists run the long way and are 23" apart, so I think I'm going to need to either move the lift off-center or use some lumber between the joists and the lift. I'll also have to find a way to accommodate the ceiling height. I'm leaning towards simply using a longer length of steel cable and a fabricated handle extention. Any ideas are much appreciated.

IMG_0464.jpeg

The whole garage is now sheetrocked which is an added complication.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

At ~$500 I couldn't do it, especially after these used to be <$200. I just ordered one off of Amazon for $249. I also added the Topsy JLU kit and their steel cams.

I plan to install this in my garage's large bay which is designed to fit an RV: 30 ft deep, 13 ft wide, and 16 ft high. Unfortunately, the joists run the long way and are 23" apart, so I think I'm going to need to either move the lift off-center or use some lumber between the joists and the lift. I'll also have to find a way to accommodate the ceiling height. I'm leaning towards simply using a longer length of steel cable and a fabricated handle extention. Any ideas are much appreciated.

IMG_0464.jpeg

Just find the joists with a stud finder and surface mount some 2x4s across them.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

IMG_0464.jpeg

Pick up a sheet of 4'x8' 3/4" plywood. You can even buy a sheet of finished or birch plywood if you want a nicer finish. Use a stud finder to locate the joists. Center the plywood on your ceiling where you want the lift mounted. Screw and secure the sheet of plywood into the joists. I like Spex brand screws. Then center the lift on the plywood to wherever you want. Attach the lift with screws or anchors. Paint the plywood whatever your ceiling color is and your done.

A nice thing about a large sheet of 4'x8' plywood is you have more real-estate to mount additional storage or anything else you want later.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray

I plan to install this in my garage's large bay which is designed to fit an RV: 30 ft deep, 13 ft wide, and 16 ft high. Unfortunately, the joists run the long way and are 23" apart, so I thi
nk I'm going to need to either move the lift off-center or use some lumber between the joists and the lift. I'll also have to find a way to accommodate the ceiling height. I'm leaning towards simply using a longer length of steel cable and a fabricated handle extention. Any ideas are much appreciated.

IMG_0464.jpeg

At that height I would choose a different hoist.

Hellraizer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I placed an order for this on amazon on 3/29 and it still has not shipped.
It said it was a Prime item. Order status still says perparing for shipment.
It says its in stock. Im about to cancel and just build my own very aggravating.
The anticipation is killing me

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It said it was a Prime item. Order status still says perparing for shipment.
It says its in stock. Im about to cancel and just build my own very aggravating.
The anticipation is killing me
I think that amazon is prioritizing “health related/food/medical” stuff. Traditional Prime shipping times don’t hold for all other stuff and are being delayed. What was the estimate that they gave you at checkout?

Hellraizer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think that amazon is prioritizing “health related/food/medical” stuff. Traditional Prime shipping time don’t matter. What was the estimate that they gave you at checkout?
While i can certainly understand that and respect that. I seem to be receiving all my other "non essential" prime items without any issue. It was suppose to be here last fri. I have since ordered. Mopar screen protector, tubing seals for the fenders, rubber seal conditioner, and butyl sealant for the mopar floor mat drains. I have received all these without any issues within two days of ordering.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
While i can certainly understand that and respect that. I seem to be receiving all my other "non essential" prime items without any issue. It was suppose to be here last fri. I have since ordered. Mopar screen protector, tubing seals for the fenders, rubber seal conditioner, and butyl sealant for the mopar floor mat drains. I have received all these without any issues within two days of ordering.
That’s interesting to hear. I just took a look for my zip code. I entered ‘Mopar Screen protector” and a few popped up. Each one was “delayed” shipping — generally about a week or so. Seems that everything that I have looked to buy on Amazon over the past few weeks has been delayed. I wonder if it could be zip code specific? Your zip might be “less impacted” by delivery delays and mine more impacted?

either way, I do hope that you get your order quickly. Is Amazon still in the original delivery window that they gave you at checkout or are they beyond that now?

Sponsored

Hellraizer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
:(
That’s interesting to hear. I just took a look for my zip code. I entered ‘Mopar Screen protector” and a few popped up. Each one was “delayed” shipping — generally about a week or so. Seems that everything that I have looked to buy on Amazon over the past few weeks has been delayed. I wonder if it could be zip code specific? Your zip might be “less impacted” by delivery delays and mine more impacted?

either way, I do hope that you get your order quickly. Is Amazon still in the original delivery window that they gave you at checkout or are they beyond that now?
Could be zip specific I suppose. We do have an amazon fulfillment center here so that could be a reason I'm getting other said items quicker but ya I'm about a week past projected delivery on the racor. Guess I'll wait a bit more and hope for the best. I was just wondering if they are even still available based on previous posts. Just thought it was kinda odd I was receiving my other stuff

Hellraizer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Seems as if amazon is the only place you can even buy this anymore. I would certainly entertain placing another order from somewhere else if there was even another option. Am I missing something ? Anyone k how of another source to purchase this from?

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry to hear that. I got mine <48 hours after ordering.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
1BC0CD6D-7BC5-46E5-A8ED-4C5A86C14149.jpeg

ABFB6C56-9884-48BB-BCF6-4C8D260FE044.jpeg

7039A9E5-5700-4462-A1F4-F82B944A4E7D.jpeg

B60DBC03-C864-43F9-A95D-35A4FFB84055.jpeg

Work in progress, and so far, so good. I’m spanning 4 joists with a 2x4, and anchoring to each using 8 3/8 x 6 lag screws and appropriately sized washers. I drilled the pilot holes for the hoist and the joists in the 2x4s on the floor, then used a long bit through the 2x4 pilot holes to drill the pilots in the joists. I used an electric impact wrench to drive the lag screws because that’s what I had on hand. It worked great.

Amazingly, my laser range finder has the mounted 2x4 square to wall within 1/64 of an inch at 70” apart. I’m kinda proud of that! I’m going to need to borrow or rent a 14’ stepladder to get the other 2x4 mounted to the joist. My plan is to spackle the drywall holes and paint everything before I mount the hoist.

A few thoughts: people have complained that Racor replaced their original steel cams with fiber-filled epoxy (I think?) ones. The ones that came with mine are a very durable plastic. I’ve replaced them with the Topsy steel ones, but I don’t think that that’s necessary anymore. I also bought 50ft of vinyl coated steel cable to replace the short cable that it came with. I couldn’t find the exact same diameter at Home Depot, so I got cable just slightly thicker. I don’t suspect it’ll be an issue on the spools or pulleys. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

8DDC7A13-7B4A-4526-AC29-DF83DEB1F200.jpeg

F7B70EC1-7CB5-4B59-9300-E0FC128CBF35.jpeg

Last edited:

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Nearly done.

As mentioned previously, I was using 78” 2x4s to span 4 joists and give me enough room on the ends. While installing the last lag bolt the the end of the 2x4 split. Ugh. I was tempted to just call it good, but OCD would cause me to think about it every time I went into the garage :P

I decided to replace both 2x4s with 96 5/8” that are sold at that length at Home Depot. I remeasured everything, drilled the 1/8” pilot holes for the hoist, and 1/2” holes in the for the 8 3/8” x 6” lag bolts. The lag bolts have a shank so they don’t bite into the 2x4s anyway, and the tolerance between the 3/8” lag bolts in 1/2” holes prevents the 2x4 from splitting once everything is snug. It also allows a bit of misalignment—making the 5/32” pilot holes in the joists perfectly vertical wasn’t possible.

Other thoughts:

Installing the Racor on a 14’ ceiling is not easy. I rented a 12’ step ladder from Home Depot which is a must. If you’re going to try this I’d suggest using a laser rangefinder to space the 2x4s.

The longer than stock steel cable is also a must when installing at this height.

85BB05B4-D37C-4DCD-9B01-5CB51E2829C9.jpeg
C2D088AF-F1E7-4972-9871-E9A7C79C8247.jpeg

D16F6D5D-61DE-455C-9845-25DBA8F33B0B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: