Sponsored

Installed 315/70/17 Wildpeak AT3 and Racor hoist

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
What did the full set of tires set you back? I want to run the tread off of my KOs first but then I'll upgrade to something similar to yours.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KevinLC

KevinLC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What did the full set of tires set you back? I want to run the tread off of my KOs first but then I'll upgrade to something similar to yours.
I listed my KOs on Facebook Marketplace or whatever it's called and sold them in a day for $650 (with 14k miles on them) I probably could have gotten a bit more. Then Discount tire price matched Wal-Mart so the Wildpeaks were $231 which came out to ~1400 mounted and balanced with warranty and all.

OP
OP
KevinLC

KevinLC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Let me know if you have rub once you flex it off road....Please.....
I know this was six months ago...but an update became necessary. With four passengers and a small amount of luggage, the 315s are rubbing in the rear relatively easily...not even off road, just speed bumps taken too fast. Again, I am bone stock except for these tires. Adding 1.5 Teraflex (modified) this weekend to resolve the issue. I might have to add spacers too...we'll see.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I know this was six months ago...but an update became necessary. With four passengers and a small amount of luggage, the 315s are rubbing in the rear relatively easily...not even off road, just speed bumps taken too fast. Again, I am bone stock except for these tires. Adding 1.5 Teraflex (modified) this weekend to resolve the issue. I might have to add spacers too...we'll see.
Thanks for the update.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I plan to...40psi was just a blind start. I haven't chalked before, I am guessing just a stripe of chalk across the width of the tire, and then see what rubs off.
Many of the modern AT/MT tires are designed in a way known as the ‘hybrid tread blocks’ so that the outer tread blocks are ‘different’ and tapered in to not actually make full contact while on-road, (they are designed for better traction on un-even surfaces). They do this for an ever striving goal of better on-road mileage, quieter ride and generally better road handling. So if you do the traditional chalk test, you will definitely under inflate the tires. Many have already attested that even at something like 20 psi you would barely rub off the outer edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinLC

KevinLC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Many of the modern AT/MT tires are designed in a way known as the ‘hybrid thread blocks’ so that the outer thread blocks are ‘different’ and tapered in to not actually make full contact while on-road, (they are designed for better traction on un-even surfaces). They do this for an ever striving goal of better on-road mileage, quieter ride and generally better road handling. So if you do the traditional chalk test, you will definitely under inflate the tires. Many have already attested that even at something like 20 psi you would barely rub off the outer edge.
That is good information. How do I know how much air to put in??

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That is good information. How do I know how much air to put in??
You can see this hybrid design in the Wildpeaks, and very prominently in tires like the Goodyear Duratracs. The dense vertical central blocks are designed for better on road performance and the loose horizontal outer tread blocks are designed to aid off road traction. When you go off-road and air down significantly the tire wraps around everything then the outer blocks come into play.

You can conduct the chalk test on the central group of tread blocks, or just go by the numbers on door jam (-1 or 2 psi for comfort). Which should yield similar results.

Notice the 'taper' in all of these tires? And can you see where the division starts between the on-road optimized tread blocks and off-road oriented tread blocks?

28914187-B5D0-4660-A3E3-69CD0126C982.jpg

1112.jpg

Last edited:

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I think you've made an excellent choice to go with the Wildpeaks

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks for the update
Sponsored