First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Ugh.. The Bronco. Raised a Ford Family, family works for them (I worked for them, and, ick GM at one point). I bleed blue still. But Ford is really scaring me with product launches lately. Both Ford and GM have promised a Jeep killer... that was over 4 years ago. GM killed their vehicle while still in development. Ford keeps delaying the launch. Last year when I bought my Jeep, friends were telling me to hold off and compare it to one of the Broncos. Well here it is a year and half later, and we have seen neither of them out of camo. Guys, I am Metro Detroit. My company supports all three makers. I drive by GM Tech Center every day, I see Jeep on Friday heading out with convoy of Jeeps up north. Lincoln shot some press photos in my company's parking lot. The point is we see cars long before they are unveiled. Nothing yet on the Bronco twins.

Oh and I tell both GM and Ford this, not that they listen directly to me, unless you have exposed screws and a deep parts catalog at release, you have lost. A Bronco clone that hides screws, and is not a big Lego kit, will lose. My opinion of course.
Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Hey there twitter world.....

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Finally got around to fixing my front defroster vent. Used 3/4” aluminum bar, drilled holes for each vent the size of the head of a mini zip tie, covered with black PlastiDip (trying to match the dash). Mini-zip tied on each side to existing vents, hoping that in case of an accident, the bar doesn’t go flying around. I embedded each zip tie head into a drilled hole to make it less visible/noticeable. I now have much more uniform air distribution.

76C7F757-72F1-40D8-A55C-108A18816AEC.jpeg

AF1C2FF7-11A1-486A-BAE5-817FADEE28A4.jpeg

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
Finally got around to fixing my front defroster vent. Used 3/4” aluminum bar, drilled holes for each vent the size of the head of a mini zip tie, covered with black PlastiDip (trying to match the dash). Mini-zip tied on each side to existing vents, hoping that in case of an accident, the bar doesn’t go flying around. I embedded each zip tie head into a drilled hole to make it less visible/noticeable. I now have much more uniform air distribution.

76C7F757-72F1-40D8-A55C-108A18816AEC.jpeg

AF1C2FF7-11A1-486A-BAE5-817FADEE28A4.jpeg
what is the length of the bar and do you recall the actual size of the drillbit? I like the idea of still allowing airflow through most holes, instead of plugging a bunch of them. I need to build this before the snow really flies in Wisconsin.

Duglas

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Jl
NHTSA filing

"Our high defrost setting only works on the center 12" of our jeep windshield. The 1/3 on both sides, driver side and passenger side are getting zero defrosting air. My brothers 2019 and hundreds of other 2018 and 2019 jeeps also have this problem according to blogs. The dealership stated that our defrost is working the same as other new jeeps on the lot and refused to acknowledge the dangerous design flaw. I have installed duct tape on the center portion of the defrost vent to redirect the air to the drivers and passengers side windshield. I plan to make a patial perminant block from plastic and install it today. We live in the Rocky Mountains and this jeep would be undrivable in the winter without defrost air flow aftermarket redirection. Zero defrost air hits the driver and passenger side without the aftermarket fix. Jeep owners are in real danger if their windsheild fogs up. We turned on our defrost to high heat and airflow to remove ice from an ice storm a few days ago. Only the center 12-14" were melted. "

Below is the dealer excuse.

IMG_0537 copy.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
NHTSA filing

"Our high defrost setting only works on the center 12" of our jeep windshield. The 1/3 on both sides, driver side and passenger side are getting zero defrosting air. My brothers 2019 and hundreds of other 2018 and 2019 jeeps also have this problem according to blogs. The dealership stated that our defrost is working the same as other new jeeps on the lot and refused to acknowledge the dangerous design flaw. I have installed duct tape on the center portion of the defrost vent to redirect the air to the drivers and passengers side windshield. I plan to make a patial perminant block from plastic and install it today. We live in the Rocky Mountains and this jeep would be undrivable in the winter without defrost air flow aftermarket redirection. Zero defrost air hits the driver and passenger side without the aftermarket fix. Jeep owners are in real danger if their windsheild fogs up. We turned on our defrost to high heat and airflow to remove ice from an ice storm a few days ago. Only the center 12-14" were melted. "

Below is the dealer excuse.

IMG_0537 copy.jpg
thanks for the share, wow what crap. guess modifying with metal/plastic with holes drilled, or with plastic plugs is the fix.....

Duglas

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Jl
thanks for the share, wow what crap. guess modifying with metal/plastic with holes drilled, or with plastic plugs is the fix.....

Yea. This is our 6th Jeep since 2001. They all had great front defrost. Great jeep overall.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The Wrangler JL dash parts

i2377734.jpeg
Look at the design of the defrost plenum (#3) and duct work (#2). Hot air enters the plenum in the center. There is almost zero resistance for air to escape the center of the plenum, but it has to go through a narrow plenum to get to the left/right sides. So I guess the dealer is correct, it's operating as designed, but it's a bad design. If you want equal air flow from all of the plenum vents, they have to have equal resistance to air flow.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the design of the defrost plenum (#3) and duct work (#2). Hot air enters the plenum in the center. There is almost zero resistance for air to escape the center of the plenum, but it has to go through a narrow plenum to get to the left/right sides. So I guess the dealer is correct, it's operating as designed, but it's a bad design. If you want equal air flow from all of the plenum vents, they have to have equal resistance to air flow.

upload_2019-10-16_14-54-1.png

Duglas

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Jl
Completely agree. Easy fix for Jeep. send us some plugs with holes

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Winter is back and so is this bullshit problem.
I took mine to the dealer last winter and got the same reply as Duglas.
Tried the plastic hole blockers but the air just passes up and around them. Hard to imagine that we buy a new jeep and have to figure a mod in order to drive it in the winter.
Sponsored