Sponsored

Question about AC & Leather Seats

PatriotUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911S, 2020 BMW X5
To JL owners with factory leather seats, especially in Deep South and Southwest, how does the AC perform? Does it cool enough to keep your back from getting moist from sweat?
Sponsored

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
To JL owners with factory leather seats, especially in Deep South and Southwest, how does the AC perform? Does it cool enough to keep your back from getting moist from sweat?
I think it also depends on the color of your leather seats. Mine are black. The AC works well but the sun still shines through the windows and heats up the black seats. So yes, I still sweat in the summer sun.

I had a car with cooled and heated seats. Best option ever.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think it also depends on the color of your leather seats. Mine are black. The AC works well but the sun still shines through the windows and heats up the black seats. So yes, I still sweat in the summer sun.

I had a car with cooled and heated seats. Best option ever.
Yes, I would rather have cooled seats than heated ones. The cooled seats would get used a lot more often.

The A/C on these JLs blows like a cat. 4 hurricane, but no matter how good the A/C is you cannot prevent the seats from getting heat soaked while sitting out in the sun. Then the seats radiate that heat into the cabin and into your body when you jump in to go somewhere.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I added 95% UF tint to the windows and that helped immensely. The top still gets hot but the seats don't and the AC keeps up.

Gets cold enough I have to turn down the fan after a while.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I added 95% UF tint to the windows and that helped immensely. The top still gets hot but the seats don't and the AC keeps up.

Gets cold enough I have to turn down the fan after a while.
I once had to peel $300 worth of UV tint from my Landrover due to it not passing North Carolina inspection :-(

Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I once had to peel $300 worth of UV tint from my Landrover due to it not passing North Carolina inspection :-(
No tint, just the UV looks good and can't tell it is there except it is a lot cooler.

Tfinley

First Name
Trace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I frabricat3d some insulation panels made from foam house insulation with a radiant barrier from Lowe’s and headliner fabric from a fabric store for my hard top and it cut down on the heat radiating from the top greatly. Cost about 85 bucks. I do not have leather though. Too hot with the top off.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I frabricat3d some insulation panels made from foam house insulation with a radiant barrier from Lowe’s and headliner fabric from a fabric store for my hard top and it cut down on the heat radiating from the top greatly. Cost about 85 bucks. I do not have leather though. Too hot with the top off.
My top is white, but I would be interested in your mod from a wind noise and noise perspective. How did you come up with the pattern to cut the material out to?

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
AC is great but my back still gets sweaty in leather seats even in the winter.

The only two downsides to leather, so far, are when I have the top off. First, I’m always worried that the leather is going to get sun damaged, so that’s all I can think about when I’m at the mall and it’s parked in the blazing sun. And second is the immediate fourth degree burns you get when hopping back into the seat in the 98 degree midday sun. And those who don’t think there’s such a thing as fourth degree burns have never been scalded by sun-soaked leather seats in a 7-11 parking lot at noon.

“I’m just getting a Slurpy,” you think. “It’ll just be a second.” You come out all mimbly bimbly wondering if you should have mixed Coke and Piña Colada and then suddenly find yourself in the burn unit of the local hospital with a nerdy resident bandaging the Jeep-shaped blisters on your back.

But when your kids spill chocolate milk and you simply wipe it off, the leather has just justified itself. Plus the stitching just makes it feel really nice inside. The factory leather in the Jeep is every bit as good as my old Mercedes.

Definitely worth the upgrade.

Twinjayhawks

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
The answer is NO. I have a suburban with a blower in the seat and I use it all year round. It is the one option I really miss in the Jeep.

My back is always wet and I have tan leather seats. It does not matter how you tint the windows or cool the cab... the air does not circulate around your back up against the seat.

Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The A/C is very powerful, but it won't cut through 100% humidity. When i installed my Alien sunshade it made it much, much better.

The one thing that just blows me away about the JL is the ease of putting up the top sans rear windows and the freedom that gives dodging rain, etc.as rain and no rear windows is just fine with a cargo mat like Weathertech. The shade gives you a bit less nekkid feeling, but allows you to exploit that easy top freedom easier and you think nothing of downing the top and driving 3 hours. Just kinda mitigates fatigue of crazy hot sun.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Window tint and it isn’t an issue. I have black leather. It was in the 100s up until this week (a cool 98). Half the time I turn the seat heaters on when I leave work.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So first off, I do not have leather in my JLUR but I do live in Alabama and have plenty of experience in a hot and humid environment. But I used to have a nice Nissan Titan with leather and a great AC system. When it got to next to the sun level hot, aka July/August, my back stayed sweaty no matter how cold the AC got. It's just one of the things about leather...

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is why I get cloth seats and a good cover.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Please let us know how you went about fabricating the insulation panels for your headliner. I too am interested in doing this mod.
Sponsored