Sponsored

Push button 4WD for the Wrangler

Deleted member 59498

Love the shifter. However, Jeep’s implementation sucks. Ever drive a 4Runner? They also have a lever (on off road trims) and it shifts like butter. Really beautiful action.

Keep the shifter but make it better.
Is their's mechanical or just a selector? I had the SR5 so just the big knob.
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Oddly, I have a bit of sympathy for the Corvette owner's expectations, for several reasons:

1. The price tier that the new Corvette occupies is such that electronic niceties like adaptive cruise control, etc. should probably be standard, or at least available.

2. Perhaps more to the point:
For many years now, the only folks I've seen driving Corvettes are well-dressed, well-groomed men & women of obvious retirement age. This reconciles with the fact that the Corvette abandoned its accessible-to-the-working-man niche a long time ago. Said differently, the monied duffers are part of the ever-contracting constituency that can actually afford these cars.

Anyway...it's easy to argue that those particular consumers are going to have inflexible expectations regarding what their fiberglass sleds should have built into them, vis-a-vis the cost of entry.

----------------

I'm firmly on your side, Jabcat, regarding driver engagement and such. I daresay we're in an ever-contracting constituency of our own, though.
The only counter I have to this is the entry price point on a new Corvette isn't really that high, comparatively speaking. A Wrangler 392 has a base MSRP ~$15k higher than a C8 Stingray. Corvette MSRP has only increased $10k over the last 9 years, which isn't too bad. But I fully agree with your last statement. People like us are often called "old" or "dinosaurs" (I'm only 45), but there is something about rowing through the gears on my Z06 and having to really pay attention & stay connected to the car that is really missing in the newer versions. Call me crazy, but my favorite Jeep is still my 1994 Wrangler Sahara. Loved how simple that thing was.

Whenever I look at the interior of the C8, all I can think is "man, this car needs way more buttons".
Agree 100% That and the 27 different drive modes. Oh you want your exhaust to be loud but you want your suspension to be soft, program My mode. Oh you want your exhaust quiet, but your shift points crisp, but your suspension set for the track set this mode. You want xyz, set that mode. Now press button 1 followed by button 3, button 6, scroll the thumb dial to switch between modes. Give me a break.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Why would you even care about paddle shifters and manual override on an auto transmission, when you'd obviously buy a true manual anyway? The tech on the auto is already present. Paddles are just providing an optional secondary input option. The vehicle would continue to function just fine if they broke or were removed.

And what's the big deal with wanting leather seats? Even the earliest CJs had Naugahyde upholstery. I personally don't 'need' leather, just not a fan of porous cloth materials in an open air off-road vehicle that are more difficult to clean versus smooth surfaces.
What I care about is the trickle-down effect.

What I care about is the preferences of a few being (mis)interpreted by the OEMs as the preferences of the whole, whereby formerly optional baubles become standard equipment...and with the attendant effect on already-bloated vehicle price trends.

What I care about is the technician failing my vehicle during PA's annual safety inspection when one of these arguably unnecessary baubles fails to function -- like your example of the paddle shifters -- even though the AutoStick feature on the transmission shift lever still works. Are you or anyone else who advocated the compulsory incorporation of needless redundancy going to step up and fund my repair bill?

The big deal is being forced to pay for what I don't want but can't decline. To cite just one example, the 7" Unconnect is now standard on the JLU, replacing the completely functional 5" head unit that a few on this forum unjustifiably referred to using every foul word that came to mind. Don't like it? Don't choose it! Just don't compromise my ability to do the same.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I’ve had plenty of experience with electronic controlled transfer cases that refused to function when the switch is moved. “Service four wheel drive system “ messages in the cluster won’t get you home.

I will take the lever, thank you.

Now just kick the FAD to the curb, along with the unit bearings, and give me back tapered roller bearings and unlocking hubs.
Hell, I’ll even settle for the vacuum operated Ford hubs, if we can’t be bothered to step outside. They fail safe to the engaged mode and STILL get you home in case of a malfunction.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
What I care about is the trickle-down effect.

What I care about is the preferences of a few being (mis)interpreted by the OEMs as the preferences of the whole, whereby formerly optional baubles become standard equipment...and with the attendant effect on already-bloated vehicle price trends.

What I care about is the technician failing my vehicle during PA's annual safety inspection when one of these arguably unnecessary baubles fails to function -- like your example of the paddle shifters -- even though the AutoStick feature on the transmission shift lever still works. Are you or anyone else who advocated the compulsory incorporation of needless redundancy going to step up and fund my repair bill?

The big deal is being forced to pay for what I don't want but can't decline. To cite just one example, the 7" Unconnect is now standard on the JLU, replacing the completely functional 5" head unit that a few on this forum unjustifiably referred to using every foul word that came to mind.
And again, why would anyone need to fund your repair bill on a feature that would never be included with a manual transmission? And if you young whipper snappers need an automatic transmission for whatever reason, again, the manual override feature is already present and has been for years. I've never once had any PA state inspection tech actually test drive any of my vehicles where this would ever be an issue with a double-redundant feature (if paddle shifter doesn't work and manual override shifter doesn't work, the auto transmission will still work or you have problems bigger than 'features').

Personally, I'm against the creep of features like lane-assist, auto braking and adaptive cruise control (and imo, touchscreens are too large already and should only serve as a means to provide info similar to a gauge, and not be used to actually control anything outside of GPS or entertainment). I'm glad they exist for those that want them, but those shouldn't be compulsory. Outside of whatever supposed 'lux' features (leather/vinyl shouldn't be lux imo), most of this tech shit is now becoming standard on cars costing half of what a base Wrangler costs and I really don't see $10k cars ever being a thing again regardless of features or lack thereof.

I'd be a-okay if Jeep could remake something like this for true traditionalists, but I'm highly skeptical that you'd actually buy one if they were allowed to make it..

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
There's no shortage of posts by owners who claim to "need" the 8.4" Uconnect touchscreen, leather seating surfaces, adaptive cruise control and all of the other tech encumbrances that plainly dilute what we might refer to as the Wrangler DNA.

With such preferences being so well-documented here, it's fair to ask why the community doesn't just finish the job and go all in for push-button transmission dials and buttons. On that point, here's a fine bit of garment rending already well underway.

I like analog controls, personally. The disconnect on display in this thread will be humorous to observe.
Those are comfort and convenience features. I view a mechanical transfer lever as a functional item personally. You know you’re in low range when you shift into it rather than relying on a computer, a servo and blinking light.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Those are comfort and convenience features. I view a mechanical transfer lever as a functional item personally. You know you’re in low range when you shift into it rather than relying on a computer, a servo and blinking light.
The only problem is, if the service 4 wd light comes on, you aren't in 4WD even if the transfer case says you are. All these electronic features using cheapo import sensors that break easily mess up the experience. I'm with you, keep the tried and true for years mechanical functions.

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I dont care either way really, BUT The transfer lever is in the wrong place. Its hard up against my knee, so it should be changed/moved.

Also dont get me started in the 12v socket right on top of the level and my knee. That should be moved as well :)

Im 6'6" and while I dont need the seat to go back any more I do need more knee room instead.

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
It's not a deal breaker for me. I've had both but now that I have a lever for the first time I prefer it just solely based on the fact it's so satisfying to use.

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a new Jeep owner. I'm also a new 4wd owner. It's my DD as well
I like the lever. It's very smooth switching from 2H to 4H..and back
Even switching to 4L, was shockingly smooth. Although i really don't see myself using 4L that much or ever.
Feels like I have more control than using a button, but remember i have no reference
I agree with a previous poster, it does appear to be a Jeep DNA and wouldn't change it

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
I got into this debate with someone who was going on and on about push button 4WD functionality appearing in more true off-road capable SUVs, and I thought I'd check with all of you on your thoughts....

I LOVE that I have a lever I can pull back into 4HI or 4LO.

Others I've talked to claim I'm just old, living in the past, and should adopt the new way of the 4WD world.

Would Jeep ever change from a lever to a button in a Wrangler? I really hope they don't.

Thoughts?
I've had other vehicles with the pushbutton 4X4 and it always takes way to long for it to disengage.