Purchasing 2018 MOAB Today - Good Deal?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Maybe put an order in for exactly what you want. Buy the cheapest car you can find to drive around until the new order comes in then trade that car in or sell it. Enjoy the new jeep.
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I agree with most of the others here.... At least clean it up before posting it for high retail dealer price. If they didn't have it cleaned for the CL pics, then what else haven't they done?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Man, last time I told someone "dont buy that Jeep" he did anyway, and I spent the next year under that turd fixing it.
Jeeps don’t break, they just present opportunity for expensive improvement.

OP
OP

JuneJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited MOAB
I had initially started looking for new ones but there is barely any inventory out here and the few that were available were asking $5k over MSRP. Then I figured I'd find something in the used market and a lift with 35' or 37' tires to save me the headache and hassle of having this done on my own (I've been too busy lately and hate having no car even for a couple of days).

I'll keep searching the new and used markets.

Sponsored

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2021 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal
Vehicle Showcase
First time buyer - long time lover! What do you guys think about this deal?

2018 MOAB with same color top, no soft top, 25k miles, 3" Rough Country Stock lift kit, 35".

Price: $45,000
I had the same 2018 Moab including the color and traded it in for my 2021 Gladiator Rubi. I bought it for $47k and they gave me $43k in trade after two years and 24K miles. They had it listed for sale after the trade for $54k. Kind of kept an eye on it just to see what they might get out of it. The last time I saw it listed they had dropped it to $49k and was on the lot for almost two months after I traded. Mine was stock (no lift) but every option. It was great ride. Some jokingly called it a Saharicon. It was a good merger of the Sahara features with Rubi rear axle and Select Trac as well. I would say its a pretty good deal based on the current market for used cars.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I had initially started looking for new ones but there is barely any inventory out here and the few that were available were asking $5k over MSRP. Then I figured I'd find something in the used market and a lift with 35' or 37' tires to save me the headache and hassle of having this done on my own (I've been too busy lately and hate having no car even for a couple of days).

I'll keep searching the new and used markets.
Shoot for that asking price, I would sell you mine 😂

Jeep Wrangler JL Purchasing 2018 MOAB Today - Good Deal? 0BF14F6D-9DCD-4803-B5C0-2C70862CB442

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
The used market blows chunks right now, so expect to get hosed, at least a little.

Personally, I'd either go with a '15-17 JK or a '19-21 JL. 2018 was the first year of the JL, so they were working out a lot of issues, based on my research.

Generally speaking, you're going to be MUCH better off getting something as close to stock trim as you can, and building it up yourself, for a few reasons:
  1. You'll pay less *today* and can spread the cost of upgrades out over your own budget/timing
  2. You'll know you're likely getting a "mall crawler" that hasn't really been beat up on at all
  3. You'll be able to ensure that any mods that DO get put on are high-quality and correctly installed (unlike that roof rack...)
If you're new to Jeeps/offroading, then I would focus on which "creature comforts" you want - cloth vs leather, upgraded stereo, transmission, technology such as advanced cruise control, heated seats, remote start, etc.

Some help with the trims (from lowest to highest)
- Sport = generally bone-stock. Few creature comforts
- Willys = like a Sport with some Rubicon features (suspension and tires, mainly)
- Sahara = higher luxury (leather, etc)
- Rubicon = more off-road focused

The "Altitude" version of Sport/Sahara is just a slightly higher end, and usually just includes luxury features that were optional on the non-Altitude version of whatever trim you're looking at.

Personally, I went with Sahara, because mine's a daily driver but I still want to be able to "do stuff". I only went Altitude because it was ~$400 more than the regular Sahara after I added all my extra "toys", so it made sense.

You can put a lift kit, bumpers, bigger tires, lockers, etc on a Sport that function the same (if not better) as what's on a Rubicon.
My Sport has tilt/cruise, crank windows, lighted cup holders, lumbar...lap of luxury compared to 97 TJ it replaced. 😑

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
My .02 is to wait for a new one.

I’ve seen too many JL stories about random electrical problems to buy one as my primary vehicle out of warranty, which this one is or close to being a 2018.

I bought a 2018 Sahara certified preowned in 2019 with 13k miles and a year later it crapped the bed. Over 90 days at 2 different dealers before I got them to take it on a trade since it was still under warranty. Battery issues, 2 PCMs, a starter and a new gear shift assembly didn’t solve it.

obviously my experience wasn’t typical, but I have seen similar stories. Tons of JLs out there working flawlessly, but I’m not gonna take that chance again on a used one.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
I think I am opposite from most people here. I couldnt care less if they cleaned it or not. I however would not pay anything for mods. Those are individual items for each person and I wouldnt pay for it unless I did those mods.

Sponsored

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
For reference, I paid $46.5K for my '21 Sahara Altitude ($53.5K sticker) back in July of this year. Brand new factory ordered.

That being said, the MOAB is a really, really killer package.

If you need something like, now, then see if you can negotiate closer to $40K.

If you're not in a huge rush for a vehicle, the '22 Order Banks should open up next week, and you'd be picking up in ~late January.
How does the Moab package compare to the Willys?

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
First time buyer - long time lover! What do you guys think about this deal?

2018 MOAB with same color top, no soft top, 25k miles, 3" Rough Country Stock lift kit, 35".

Price: $45,000
Get a new one under full warranty, pick your options and colors. I got my 4XE for 51K new after factoring the tax credit.. This Moab doesn't even have a tow pkg. with aux. switches or a front camera. Use a better company for the lift and do it right. either that or pay 40K +/-. I know the resale is strong and they likely won't lower that much so new is they way to go

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

How does the Moab package compare to the Willys?
The Moab was like a Sahara mixed with a Rubicon.

The Willys is like a Sport mixed with a watered down Rubicon.

OP
OP

JuneJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited MOAB
Which dealer would you choose to build one and get a fair deal? Preferably in Southern California but not required.
Sponsored