Pulling to the left when wheel is straight

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Hi all, just got my 2019 Sport Altitude in March and I've noticed it pulls to the left when the steering wheel is centered. I didn't notice that it did it when I first got it but it has less than 1000 miles on it and I know it's not right. I drive a lot of rural roads that are not in the best shape and patched over, but on leveler city roads it does it as well. It depends on the road but I usually have to have the wheel turned an inch or so to the right to have it drive straight.

I am not mechanically inclined in any way and am looking for some ideas before I take it in to the dealer and see what they say. What could be the issue? Is there a fix for this?
Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
There is definitely something wrong if you're pulling to the left or even going dead straight for that matter. Jeeps are supposed to pull to the right.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Check evenness of tire pressure. Otherwise bring it in to the dealer. Could be steering wheel needs to be recentered. Alignment, etc...

You can easily adjust the steering wheel drag link under the front of the vehicle with regular tools. If it's too hard to turn after loosened use a small pipe or plumber's wrench on it.

But have a mechanic or the dealer look at it before making these adjustments. It could just be a bandaid for a different issue. You want to fix the source. Adjusting the drag link is usually done for after suspension modifications are done on a vehicle that already tracks straight.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hi all, just got my 2019 Sport Altitude in March and I've noticed it pulls to the left when the steering wheel is centered. I didn't notice that it did it when I first got it but it has less than 1000 miles on it and I know it's not right. I drive a lot of rural roads that are not in the best shape and patched over, but on leveler city roads it does it as well. It depends on the road but I usually have to have the wheel turned an inch or so to the right to have it drive straight.

I am not mechanically inclined in any way and am looking for some ideas before I take it in to the dealer and see what they say. What could be the issue? Is there a fix for this?
My jeep will pull depending on road crown also, itā€™s rather sensitive in my experience to that and tire pressure. Scroll through the menus in the center cluster and youā€™ll find tire pressure. Sweet spot stock is 35psi I believe. Depending on temp mine goes from 35-37.

OP
OP
Tully21

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My jeep will pull depending on road crown also, itā€™s rather sensitive in my experience to that and tire pressure. Scroll through the menus in the center cluster and youā€™ll find tire pressure. Sweet spot stock is 35psi I believe. Depending on temp mine goes from 35-37.
Mine stays pretty consistent at 37. I drive a lot of center-crowned roads in the country and it will pull toward the center line. Even driving in town with newer pavement it will still do it. Wheel is dead center and he pulls left. Rarely pulls to the right.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine stays pretty consistent at 37. I drive a lot of center-crowned roads in the country and it will pull toward the center line. Even driving in town with newer pavement it will still do it. Wheel is dead center and he pulls left. Rarely pulls to the right.
When you say "pulls", do you mean when you let go of the wheel the jeep will drift to the left side of the road? Or do you mean when you hold the steering wheel centered it drifts to the left side of the road?

OP
OP
Tully21

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say "pulls", do you mean when you let go of the wheel the jeep will drift to the left side of the road? Or do you mean when you hold the steering wheel centered it drifts to the left side of the road?
When the steering wheel is held centered, it will drift left.
In order for it to drive straight, the wheel has to be turned about an inch or so to the right. When the wheel is slightly turned right and let go, it will then drive straight.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When the steering wheel is held centered, it will drift left.
In order for it to drive straight, the wheel has to be turned about an inch or so to the right. When the wheel is slightly turned right and let go, it will then drive straight.
OK, that is likely a minor issue of a draglink adjustment (not alignment).

"Pulling" is a term commonly used in automotive circles to indicate that the vehicle turns/drifts when you let go of the steering wheel while going straight on a flat (no crown) road.

OP
OP
Tully21

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, that is likely a minor issue of a draglink adjustment (not alignment).

"Pulling" is a term commonly used in automotive circles to indicate that the vehicle turns/drifts when you let go of the steering wheel while going straight on a flat (no crown) road.
Ahh, gotcha. Sorry about the lingo. But thanks for the clarifying questions! I appreciate the help.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Was the problem fixed? What was the solution?

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There is definitely something wrong if you're pulling to the left or even going dead straight for that matter. Jeeps are supposed to pull to the right.
Can you elaborate on Jeeps are supposed to pull to the right? Do you mean a slight drift or a stronger pull? Iā€™m trying to troubleshoot a pull to the right. Iā€™ve test driven brand new JLs from a dealerā€™s lot and there was no drift or pull unless there was a hardcore slope in the road. It still pulls right without the steering stabilizer installed, rotated tires, tried different PSIs, etc.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Can you elaborate on Jeeps are supposed to pull to the right? Do you mean a slight drift or a stronger pull? Iā€™m trying to troubleshoot a pull to the right. Iā€™ve test driven brand new JLs from a dealerā€™s lot and there was no drift or pull unless there was a hardcore slope in the road. It still pulls right without the steering stabilizer installed, rotated tires, tried different PSIs, etc.
That was a joke. I said there is something wrong if it goes straight. Many complain of pulling to the right (road crowning?).

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That was a joke. I said there is something wrong if it goes straight. Many complain of pulling to the right (road crowning?).
Any idea why one JLUR will pull to the right and another goes straight on the exact same road? Alignment is in the middle of the spec, total toe is at 0.20, steerahead is at 0.0, caster is at 5.9, rotated tires, tested without steering stabilizer, tried the basic Fox steering stabilizer, tested different tire PSIs, checked torque on all steering and suspension components, new inner drag link, etc.
Sponsored