Sponsored

Pulled over.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Cops have a tough job and I know this firsthand with family and friends in law enforcement from local to federal. That said, I still laugh at my first pullover in 20yrs. Locals have a quota to show that they're actually doing the job or have assigned focus areas (seat belts, phones, etc.). So, if they haven't been "busy" enough, they'll look for whatever they can sometimes. Then, of course, every department seems to have one zealot who hates motorcycles or Jeeps or sports cars.

I got pulled over while in a 2-door JK a few years ago. When the pair of local officers approached I heard one say to the other "Uhhhh, oops, this isn't the 4-door we're after"; they just realized they made a mistake. So what does the junior officer do? After the normal interrogatories he pushes onward authoritatively stating "The reason I stopped you was because your tires are sticking out beyond the fenders and I can see the frame." (Bone stock)

I pointed out that, no, they clearly do not stick out and the body is not lifted on the frame. Observing the obvious, the junior officer (looking bewildered/flustered) then says "Well...they stick out when you're turning and tires are not allowed to ever stick out beyond the fenders in IL and you have to have a fender covering all tires including that spare." (I'm trying hard not to laugh at him)

When the junior officer says this, his FTO (field training officer) grimaces, covers his mouth and shakes his head trying to hide HIS OWN laughter. I politely point out to the junior officer that their squad car, wheels turned, has its tires sticking out well beyond the fenders and is, therefore, illegal on IL roads too, as well as every other vehicle on the road around us and there is no fender required for a spare tire. The FTO, red-faced and still chuckling, pulled the now irritated junior officer back and said "Sorry, sir, you're good to go!" and they quickly depart. I tried to get the dash & bodycam video for YouTube but the department didn't archive it or I'd have a howler to show.
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
This is why I added EZ Flares to my Jeep fenders. Cuts way down on the road crap hitting the side of my vehicle, and the front of yours. 👍😊

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I pointed out that, no, they clearly do not stick out and the body is not lifted on the frame. Observing the obvious, the junior officer (looking bewildered/flustered) then says "Well...they stick out when you're turning and tires are not allowed to ever stick out beyond the fenders in IL and you have to have a fender covering all tires including that spare." (I'm trying hard not to laugh at him)
Shit, that had me laughing. Not sure what was funnier.. trying to picture a fender planted over the spare or one that stuck out so far it could cover a turned out front wheel. 😂

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Shit, that had me laughing. Not sure what was funnier.. trying to picture a fender planted over the spare or one that stuck out so far it could cover a turned out front wheel. 😂
While it's funny, it shows that some LEOs just make up stuff to jack with people. I've had similar encounters, when I was younger. Nothing like that has happened to me since I've gotten gray hair. I think older people just cut to the chase...write it up, get me on my way. No sense in arguing with someone making stuff up to bait you.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The system is broken, no doubt.

But I wasn't looking to fix the system, simply to save some money,
It's not just some money. It's a lot of money over years of increased insurance costs.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Why not just hire a lawyer in the first place and cut out the middle man?
Lawyers are usually quite a bit more than $200, and they don't usually guarantee anything.

Mine was $750, but was able to get the speeding ticket down to a non-moving (no points) cracked windshield violation.

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
The K02s will throw rocks on a stock Rubicon, which would easily chip a windshield. On a motorcycle this could potentially be deadly.
Having ridden my Harley from Calif to Newfoundland, having ridden to Alaska, having ridden across Australia, I can tell you that getting hit by anything at speed hurts. And I am always amazed at how ignorant some people are going down gravel roads hauling ass slinging gravel everywhere that refuse to slow down for any type of vehicle. Don't even get me going on the AHOLES that throw their cig butts or empty their ashtrays that then come back and hit you in the face. Trust me, your oversize tires without fenders affect many many other people. I run 40's and skinny fenders as well. I always pull over on gravel or sandy roads to let bikes go ahead. On the plus side I rarely have anyone tailgate me----at least not for long hahaha
Sponsored