Sponsored

Pull the trigger on a JL Wrangler or avoid them?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
JL has three glaring weaknesses:
  1. A weak dual-battery system. This is an ongoing issue that appears to be getting worse, not better, with each passing year
  2. Vague steering. This has gotten better with the new steering box, but you’d think the brain trust at Jeep would have been able to come with a more convincing, more permanent solution by now
  3. Unconnect4 is too unstable. My 8.4” screen flickers and reboots way too often. And it appears to be getting worse with time, not better. Every now and then the Navigation screen will get stuck “loading” and there’s nothing I can do. I just need to let it cycle itself out of it overnight
Like @roaniecowpony , I was able to fix the wandering steering by investing time, money and doing a fair bit of trail-and-error.

I got rid of both OE batteries after only 18 months, and replaced them with a pair of Super Start batteries. This in itself fixed a whole bunch of other minor electronic gremlins.

The moody 8.4” screen/Uconnect4 is the only thing that still keeps me at the edge of my seat these days.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I never said the steering issue wasn't real especially the death wobble. I know that was a big problem. The other problem is people think it its going to be capable of lane diving and driving 90mph. Most cases of wandering are due to the width of the jeep and the road ways that are worn to shit by the semi trucks. I have this same problem in my older Pickup. the 12.5" wide wheels love to follow the road. and thats had perfect steering for over 40 years and has been maintained well beyond what i should be.
I know. I appologize if I came across as you stating that you were saying that.

You mentioned it and I went all Kramer crazy. It's a sore spot with me about the SFA has inherently bad steering and we should just accept it.

But to your mention of driving 90 mph, I can tell you with confidence, I can now drive my JLUR at 90 mph with one hand and drink a cup of coffee.

If you ever need a trail partner, I'm in Torrance and looking to start getting out again. I'd be glad to show you what I've done to my steering system and let you drive it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I know. I appologize if I came across as you stating that you were saying that.

You mentioned it and I went all Kramer crazy. It's a sore spot with me about the SFA has inherently bad steering and we should just accept it.

But to your mention of driving 90 mph, I can tell you with confidence, I can now drive my JLUR at 90 mph with one hand and drink a cup of coffee.

If you ever need a trail partner, I'm in Torrance and looking to start getting out again. I'd be glad to show you what I've done to my steering system and let you drive it.
I know its a sore spot for most and i dont blame you as it seems you where one of the unlucky at the start. i am glad you got yours situated and better. I have been slowly upgrading but havent had an issue. I drove mine home the day i brought it running 80-85 as i was in a time crunch. drove to Henderson NV. to get my jeep. couldnt find a 6speed any where in California. Cant rave about chapman dealer ship. left at 4PM arrived at the dealer 4 hours later and was out of the dealer within half and hour and home jsut after midnight. so glad my roommate at the time loved doing stupid last second trips like that. I'd love to meet up and wheel some time. soon as the doc gives the baby the Ok for being able to wheel ill be back at it!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
@ChargingBuffalo

Congrats on the new Jeep. Check the pressure in your tires. They should be about 35 PSI or so. Many Jeeps on the dealers lot have 42-44 PSI in the tires to prevent flat spotting during transit and while parked on the lot. If the tires are over inflated it will wander quite a bit at highway speeds.

The first thing I did on my Jeep was trim those aero/euro bumper extensions down so they don’t stick up above the bumper. Just doing that simple thing will vastly improve the looks.

I suggest that you drive it for at least a few thousand miles before you consider doing any modifications. That gives you time to determine what you would like to change, if anything. It also gives you time to do research, here and elsewhere, as to what parts you would want and how best to install them.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I'm a car guy... totally NOT a truck guy... and I prefer imports to domestics because of quality. Basically... I'm not drinking the kool aid... I don't blindly support anything.

I've only had my Wrangler since December and will go over 4K miles this week... I have no regrets.

I live in Milwaukee, RWD and LSD have handled the winter weather just fine... haven't really needed the 4WD more than a handful of times. I drive on the highway every day to work... I drive just as aggressively in the Wrangler and I did in my previous German vehicle. And the 2.0t has plenty of power.

I bought it because of resale value... it's been better than expected.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I know its a sore spot for most and i dont blame you as it seems you where one of the unlucky at the start. i am glad you got yours situated and better. I have been slowly upgrading but havent had an issue. I drove mine home the day i brought it running 80-85 as i was in a time crunch. drove to Henderson NV. to get my jeep. couldnt find a 6speed any where in California. Cant rave about chapman dealer ship. left at 4PM arrived at the dealer 4 hours later and was out of the dealer within half and hour and home jsut after midnight. so glad my roommate at the time loved doing stupid last second trips like that. I'd love to meet up and wheel some time. soon as the doc gives the baby the Ok for being able to wheel ill be back at it!
We bought ours up in Gilroy. I got on the 101 south to Paso that night. Scared the crap out of me the first few miles. I took it to a front end shop the next morning in Paso. They didn't find any alignment issues or anything loose. My wife drove from Paso to the grapevine and got out and swore she wouldn't drive it again. I've been chasing it ever since. I've gotten her to drive it recently and she said it drove nice now. But she said even this morning it was really a lemon. I said It really is a pleasure to drive now. PM me when you need a trail partner.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I too am strongly considering a JLU but not as a primary vehicle. For me it will be a "second, fun, scoot around town and maybe try an off-road park" vehicle. I've wanted one on and off for a while now. The 4xe is what sparked the current desire but after seeing the sh!% cloud following THAT around I quickly scratched it off the list.

I was also concerned about the ride, the wandering steering reports and the 28 out of 100 rating on Consumer Reports. They said the highway wind noise is "overwhelming once speeds approach 60 mph." I should know better than to trust CR after having owned several vehicles they said would fall apart as I was driving them home new from the dealer on day one and didn't have a LICK of problems with any of them. I just drove a new 22 Willys and noticed NOTHING objectionable and I took it up to 70. The steering was fine, the noise was fine, the ride was fine, it was all fine. I want a JLU even more now!

The only thing I'm wresting with now is the cost. It's well over what I'd like to spend for a second vehicle. Then there's the engine choices. Wait until you dive into THAT mind bending mess!

Good luck with your decision. If it turns out to be a mistake, you won't lose much (lately some people have MADE money).

Wow ... typing and proof reading this just now might have pushed me off the fence!

Thanks!

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hello, I been debating on a purchasing a JL 2 door Wrangler Sport. I love how they look and like many, always wanted to own one. I get on these forums and read all the issues people have after not even 6 months of owning them and horror stories about how they ride on the highway. I'm 52 years old and my mom owned a 1988 Wrangler back in the early 90s and loved it. Is it like other vehicles and just luck of the draw for quality issues or is it really that bad on trips to the dealer for service? Also on the ride, I thought the JL was fine on the highway then see people talking about service bulletins and ripping the way their JL drives over 45mph. What's your experience and opinion on this? I'm at a loss on if I should pull the trigger and just get one or will I regret it and have issue after issue. Thanks.
I have read the threads about people having issues and some of them I would consider major issues.

I had an 18 JLUR, 6 cyl, for almost 4 years, oil changes, tire rotations, one replaced windshield, ZERO other issues. ... well the defroster was a PIA sometimes, but there are fixes for that. Now in a 22 JLUR, about 1,200 miles so far, zero issues.

I do not think that I just got lucky twice. If you dig around enough on the inter-webs you will likely see people having issues with most brands. What made my mind up to pull that trigger, was I really, really liked the Wrangler and saw hundreds if not thousands of positive posts on here and not a ton of negative ones. Playing statistics, it looked like a safe bet. Again, so far it has been, 2x.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have read the threads about people having issues and some of them I would consider major issues.

I had an 18 JLUR, 6 cyl, for almost 4 years, oil changes, tire rotations, one replaced windshield, ZERO other issues. ... well the defroster was a PIA sometimes, but there are fixes for that. Now in a 22 JLUR, about 1,200 miles so far, zero issues.

I do not think that I just got lucky twice. If you dig around enough on the inter-webs you will likely see people having issues with most brands. What made my mind up to pull that trigger, was I really, really liked the Wrangler and saw hundreds if not thousands of positive posts on here and not a ton of negative ones. Playing statistics, it looked like a safe bet. Again, so far it has been, 2x.
You escaped without a broken visor? You must have a leprachan on your shoulder.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Question?
If some have steering problems and some don't, wouldn't they all have steering problems because they all have solid axles. No! There is more to it than solid axles.

Sponsored

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
Hello, I been debating on a purchasing a JL 2 door Wrangler Sport. I love how they look and like many, always wanted to own one. I get on these forums and read all the issues people have after not even 6 months of owning them and horror stories about how they ride on the highway. I'm 52 years old and my mom owned a 1988 Wrangler back in the early 90s and loved it. Is it like other vehicles and just luck of the draw for quality issues or is it really that bad on trips to the dealer for service? Also on the ride, I thought the JL was fine on the highway then see people talking about service bulletins and ripping the way their JL drives over 45mph. What's your experience and opinion on this? I'm at a loss on if I should pull the trigger and just get one or will I regret it and have issue after issue. Thanks.
My 22 runs and drives great. I have owned a '92, '11, '14 (still have it) and this '22. It drives a hundred times better. Many improvements all the way around. Ease of panel removal, seat belt design is even better, seats are much more comfortable, 2.0 T is quick and easy on the gas$, etc... I have no regrets.

OP
OP
ChargingBuffalo
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
@ChargingBuffalo

Congrats on the new Jeep. Check the pressure in your tires. They should be about 35 PSI or so. Many Jeeps on the dealers lot have 42-44 PSI in the tires to prevent flat spotting during transit and while parked on the lot. If the tires are over inflated it will wander quite a bit at highway speeds.

The first thing I did on my Jeep was trim those aero/euro bumper extensions down so they don’t stick up above the bumper. Just doing that simple thing will vastly improve the looks.

I suggest that you drive it for at least a few thousand miles before you consider doing any modifications. That gives you time to determine what you would like to change, if anything. It also gives you time to do research, here and elsewhere, as to what parts you would want and how best to install them.
Thanks for the tips, yeah it has exactly 40psi in each tire right now, so I will do that this evening, appreciate it. I don't care for that look either of the bumper extensions 😊

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Question?
If some have steering problems and some don't, wouldn't they all have steering problems because they all have solid axles. No! There is more to it than solid axles.
Some people have steering problems because they upgrade the axle or tires and they do not know what they are doing. Larger tires may require significant upgrades to the axles. If they are not upgraded correctly, then there can be significant issues. Jeeps are probably one of vehicle models most upgraded. Unless you are planning significant modifications you should be good. I had my 2001 Wrangler for 19 years, then it finally needed to be retired. I am very satisfied with my Jeeps.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yes. is there a chance to get a lemon. yes, ever manufacture has lemons but most do not get talked about because most dont have a forums. Most people come to a forum to complain about a problem and find a solution about their problem. Truth be known Jeeps are rather reliable and still pretty easy to work on.
I would disagree quite a bit here.

Virtually every car on the market has an enthusiast forum of some type, even regular sedans like Hyundai Sonatas or Toyota Camrys.

It is hard to find a board for another forum so filled with people getting buybacks as Jeep forums (not just the JL, this goes back to the YJ) and people experiencing the same problems over, and over, and over again with either current models (the rear window defroster wiring falling off) or despite model changes over the year (water leaking in and collecting on the passenger floor when it rains.)

While it's true that few other vehicles can do what Wranglers can, it's also true that Jeep through all of its owners have left many of these issues untouched because they keep selling.

Add to that the recent issues caused by Start/Stop and the dual battery system, and things seem to be getting somewhat worse as opposed to better; no one with a YJ or TJ ever had to worry about their vehicle telling them to pull over because it was about to shut off the engine.

I've stated before, my TJ for example never left me stranded but did spend at least two days a month at the dealer every month the warranty was in place, always for something slightly different and never for anything that constituted a hazard, so lemon law arbitration was never a question.

For example, I had to have a new clockspring put in four times in three years because the horn would not activate when the steering wheel pad was pressed, and it was always the same issue. My instrument panel connector was repacked with dielectric grease five times because every few months the entire instrument panel would just go completely dead and would either come back with the next bump or if I hit it enough times.

Another was my driveshaft was replaced three times as it would start to clunk when shifting from a forward gear to reverse and again when shifting back to forward. This was not heard in any new Wrangler, nor after a replacement, but after about six to eight months, it would return.

By comparison, my FJ is no Wrangler but has also never been back to the dealer for anything other than a recall, scheduled maintenance or a leaking seal after 170,000 miles.

There's no excuse for continued steering issues, which it sounds like Jeep finally has a handle on, but it's getting time for the next Wrangler refresh to happen to provide ongoing competition with the Bronco.

The rear view camera system flaking out is something that I am surprised has not yet been the subject of a recall as it's the failure of a NHTSA required safety system.

The bottom line is there is certainly room for improvement, but as long as Wranglers sell, there is little financial reason for Stellantis to bother.
Sponsored