Is your flap always secure?

• Total voters

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
My flaps always come out. Hasn’t seemed to affect rain getting in yet. I haven’t paid attention to normal city driving but 100% flaps out on the highway. And yes, there can be a pretty loud ‘pressure reverberation’ with the door windows down. Not always, but not dissimilar to driving a car with one window down. I think it just takes the right speed/wind combination to get the top vibrating at the right frequency. My JK did it as well, but nearly as bad. I am wondering if it’s more an issue with the premium fabric soft top as it is just generally not stretched as tight as the ‘vinyl’ top on my old JK.
Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Premium Soft Top, yes both flaps come undone. Seems to be driver's side more often. What about that built-in rain shower every time I open my driver's door when it's raining? Kinda funny how much it pours in. The things we put up with in a new 50K vehicle is amazing!

It MUST be love.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I didn't have the jeep long enough to notice if my flaps pop out. My entire corner window blew out onto the highway and was run over. I'm not 100 percent sure it wasn't my fault but please be careful and double check all flaps are tucked in. Being it was my first and only issue and how long it took to get replced, Jeep cares did me a solid and put a flame under the ordering process and cost of replacement. The guys at FCA are OK in my view.
My first modification will be to put a strip of velcro under the top flap where we slide it in. This will reinforce the smaller velcro section and help that it stays with jeep.
I will look out for the 4" flap, and if it also pulls out I will make a 2" split velcro wrap that will connect the corner portion to the back. This should fix it from pulling out.

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I didn't have the jeep long enough to notice if my flaps pop out. My entire corner window blew out onto the highway and was run over. I'm not 100 percent sure it wasn't my fault but please be careful and double check all flaps are tucked in. Being it was my first and only issue and how long it took to get replced, Jeep cares did me a solid and put a flame under the ordering process and cost of replacement. The guys at FCA are OK in my view.
My first modification will be to put a strip of velcro under the top flap where we slide it in. This will reinforce the smaller velcro section and help that it stays with jeep.
I will look out for the 4" flap, and if it also pulls out I will make a 2" split velcro wrap that will connect the corner portion to the back. This should fix it from pulling out.
Was your back window in?

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Yep I had the windows all in. I'm almost certain I had them all tucked in but am not 100%. a flap could have been out but I think I would have seen it.

Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
The rear tab on the passenger side pops out a bit, not entirely. It hasn't happened on the driver side yet.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
An interesting note about this- I ordered the dual top and when I put on the soft top I noticed the rear window was scratched before I even put it on. It had clearly happened in the box while shipping. I told Jeep about it and they replaced the window for me. My old one did not pop out at all. The new one they installed pops out all the time. No big deal as the Jeep stays dry but I find it interesting one did and the other did not.

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
Ha - just read this thread, went out to check mine & lo and behold, both flaps out! This is a JLUR, premium soft top, less than 400 miles on it so far. I have not taken my top down yet, nor even opened the sunrider portion, or taken out any of the three rear windows, so can confirm that this is indeed a factory/design issue, and not user-induced.

FWIW, this happens on my 2012 JKU (dual top group), as well. The hard plastic tabs on its flaps are wider than those on the JLUR, and they tend to stay put better, but they're not perfect either.

Should also point out that while I haven't had the JLUR out in the rain yet (still dry season in California), my experience with the JKU's top doesn't have me too concerned about water intrusion; even with an imperfect fit, that one seems to stay dry inside.

Still, the flaps are there by design and clearly serve a purpose. If owners are consistently noticing that they fail to remain secure, it indicates a design flaw that FCA is obliged to address.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Mine is the same, pops out sometimes.... with that said, I see no water intrusion or adverse effect after 6000+ miles, I’m not worried about it.
Ditto here. Pops out all the time. We've had some MAJOR storms lately but no water inside.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Mine always partially pops out but isn't insecure and doesn't leak. If the bottom rear window retainer tabs and their slots were wider and deeper, like those on the side and side windows, they wouldn't pop out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Northshore Girl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, heard a loud pop and all the sudden the side passenger window was on the interstate ...Now I drive around worried that any noise I hear is that window blowing out again. Does make you wonder was it the back flaps coming loose or something else? My back flaps are always out. $380 dollars later and an overnight fee and I was back on the road.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I may have found a fix for my back flaps popping out. The last time I installed the rear window I slid each side all the way up in the channel, putting upward pressure on it, then holding it in place, and popped in the bottom. 500 miles later and it has yet to pop out again. I have done this several times when I had to open the rear and it is still working.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, heard a loud pop and all the sudden the side passenger window was on the interstate ...Now I drive around worried that any noise I hear is that window blowing out again. Does make you wonder was it the back flaps coming loose or something else? My back flaps are always out. $380 dollars later and an overnight fee and I was back on the road.
Crazy that the side window popped out like that, I'm guessing that somehow your front side vertical snaps became undone. Because of these reports I always give my top a once over before driving, I'm kind of obsessive about it.:lipssealed:

BTW, the rear bar holds in the bottom of the back window, so the back flaps don't really support much back there as long as everything is seated properly in its channel.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Like most people my back flaps WERE always coming out. I have since changed the way I close the back window and the occurrence is very rare except for very long trips over 100 miles on the freeway with windows down.

What I have noticed on my JLUR is that after i insert the rear window rail i typically inserted the sides and the the bottom tabs without much thought. Not sure when but I noticed the slot for the tabs was about 1/2" longer than the actual tabs on the right and left side of the rear window. I then decided to take careful note and insert the tabs at the very top of the slot, leaving about 1/2 of gap at the bottom. This allowed the bottom tabs of the rear window to tuck in very tightly. I have a bit more space on the right side of my rear window so even though I try to get it slotted in at the top it tends to slip down after I put in the rear bottom right tab. So I just reach up to the top corner and pull the window up in the slot adding pressure the the lower tab. Sometime i need to do this on both sides. Once this is done, my lower tabs don't get loose or pop out.

Hoping some people with the same issue can give it a shot and see if this works for them too.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Like most people my back flaps WERE always coming out. I have since changed the way I close the back window and the occurrence is very rare except for very long trips over 100 miles on the freeway with windows down.

What I have noticed on my JLUR is that after i insert the rear window rail i typically inserted the sides and the the bottom tabs without much thought. Not sure when but I noticed the slot for the tabs was about 1/2" longer than the actual tabs on the right and left side of the rear window. I then decided to take careful note and insert the tabs at the very top of the slot, leaving about 1/2 of gap at the bottom. This allowed the bottom tabs of the rear window to tuck in very tightly. I have a bit more space on the right side of my rear window so even though I try to get it slotted in at the top it tends to slip down after I put in the rear bottom right tab. So I just reach up to the top corner and pull the window up in the slot adding pressure the the lower tab. Sometime i need to do this on both sides. Once this is done, my lower tabs don't get loose or pop out.

Hoping some people with the same issue can give it a shot and see if this works for them too.
This is exactly what I was describing in post #42.
Sponsored