• Total voters

kplong02

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door Sport S
Sorry to ask, but could anyone point me to a video of this solution and/or provide a more detail explanation?

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Installing my soft top for the first time today and cannot get the rear window pillar tabs to go in. Almost like the window is not wide enough. Stretching it as hard as I can and still no luck. Any ideas?

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Installing my soft top for the first time today and cannot get the rear window pillar tabs to go in. Almost like the window is not wide enough. Stretching it as hard as I can and still no luck. Any ideas?
Not sure if this will be helpful or not but depending on the ambient temperature where you are at, you might want to consider warming up the window a bit and seeing if that doesn't allow some flexibility to get it on in the winter. Suggest only moving it to a warm room. I would avoid heating any other way. The first time I put the rear window on in the summer it was a lot snugger than any other time. The fabric is probably just tight and a little warmth will make it more flexible to allow you to get it stretched to fit. Once in it will tend to retain its width.

Sponsored

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Not sure if this will be helpful or not but depending on the ambient temperature where you are at, you might want to consider warming up the window a bit and seeing if that doesn't allow some flexibility to get it on in the winter. Suggest only moving it to a warm room. I would avoid heating any other way. The first time I put the rear window on in the summer it was a lot snugger than any other time. The fabric is probably just tight and a little warmth will make it more flexible to allow you to get it stretched to fit. Once in it will tend to retain its width.
Thanks! Figured that was probably the issue. Enlisted my wife to help push in one of the pillars and that did the trick. Hopefully the super snug fit means mine will not be popping out like others have experienced.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
as long as you start at the very top of the grove and work your way down and then pull up on it a bit when its all in... they wont pop out.

Mishka75

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door Jeep Sahara
On March 30, 2019 I purchased a later model 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the dual tops from Performance Chrysler in St. Catharine’s on Ontario St. On June 2nd we took our brand new premium soft out of the box. July 3rd was extremely humid and at approximately 7:15pm I was driving west bound on the QEW approaching Niagara doing around 110km/h when I heard a loud pop come from the back of the vehicle. When I looked in the rear-view mirror, I discovered that the rear left side window had popped out from the frame and had flown into the traffic behind me causing many vehicles to break and had to swerve to avoid it. The incident was terrifying but luckily no one was injured.

The following day I reported the incident to the dealership who told me that my window would have to be custom ordered because Jeep was no longer making them. I purchased the extended warranty too and it is not covered, yet some dealerships have covered them according to the Jeep forum page. They passed us on to Jeep Canada. After speaking with Clarissa from with Jeep Canada it became clear to us that Jeep was not willing to take responsibility for a serious defect in the design of the soft top roof. Clarissa told me that Jeep Canada would need the part. I told her that it’s illegal to stop on the side of the highway let alone run into the highway to recover the window not to mention traffic had already runover it. This is my 3rdJeep. I am not stranger to installing the windows. There are many great features with the new roof design except the windows. The heat and humidity cause the roof to stretch and the power and force of the wind can cause them to blow off. Previous design have had zippers and velcro to reinforce their security.

Having done a quick search online, there are other examples of similar experiences from Jeep owners of windows popping out at higher speeds with this particular soft top design. I will never use the windows with this soft top package design again as I am not prepared to gamble with the lives of other road users. It has an obvious safety problem that could potentially put the lives of fellow motorists, motor cyclists, cyclists and pedestrians at risk.

I believe that Jeep needs to immediately recall this type of soft top design and reimburse owners. I will be contacting Transport Canada this week to ensure they are also aware of this problem before a serious accident occurs on our roads.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I recently got back from a 3,400 mile road trip with my soft top. There was one time where I heard something strange, I looked in the mirror and the passenger window did not look right, I stopped and sure enough it was out of the front channel. I am guessing I did not fully "set" it in the channel when reinstalling. Besides that one small instance I drove the other 3,400 miles going upwards of 90 MPH in some parts of North Dakota with not a single problem.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
22k trouble free miles with my top. Four New England seasons. I firmly believe windows will only pop out for two reasons:

1. Improperly installed, or 2. manufacturer’s defect.

Bestop have said that there are handmade components with these tops. Humans make mistakes. It sucks for those who get a bad one and have to fight for warranty, but there’s not a systemic issue. If there was, this forum and ones like it would be bombarded with stories of windows being lost and that’s note the case.

Anyhow, last couple of posts really belonged over here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-blowing-out.12507/ This poll is just over the little flaps coming loose, which is a benign issue (and also happens on JKs).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
On March 30, 2019 I purchased a later model 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the dual tops from Performance Chrysler in St. Catharine’s on Ontario St. On June 2nd we took our brand new premium soft out of the box. July 3rd was extremely humid and at approximately 7:15pm I was driving west bound on the QEW approaching Niagara doing around 110km/h when I heard a loud pop come from the back of the vehicle. When I looked in the rear-view mirror, I discovered that the rear left side window had popped out from the frame and had flown into the traffic behind me causing many vehicles to break and had to swerve to avoid it. The incident was terrifying but luckily no one was injured.

The following day I reported the incident to the dealership who told me that my window would have to be custom ordered because Jeep was no longer making them. I purchased the extended warranty too and it is not covered, yet some dealerships have covered them according to the Jeep forum page. They passed us on to Jeep Canada. After speaking with Clarissa from with Jeep Canada it became clear to us that Jeep was not willing to take responsibility for a serious defect in the design of the soft top roof. Clarissa told me that Jeep Canada would need the part. I told her that it’s illegal to stop on the side of the highway let alone run into the highway to recover the window not to mention traffic had already runover it. This is my 3rdJeep. I am not stranger to installing the windows. There are many great features with the new roof design except the windows. The heat and humidity cause the roof to stretch and the power and force of the wind can cause them to blow off. Previous design have had zippers and velcro to reinforce their security.

Having done a quick search online, there are other examples of similar experiences from Jeep owners of windows popping out at higher speeds with this particular soft top design. I will never use the windows with this soft top package design again as I am not prepared to gamble with the lives of other road users. It has an obvious safety problem that could potentially put the lives of fellow motorists, motor cyclists, cyclists and pedestrians at risk.

I believe that Jeep needs to immediately recall this type of soft top design and reimburse owners. I will be contacting Transport Canada this week to ensure they are also aware of this problem before a serious accident occurs on our roads.
You should post this over here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-blowing-out.12507/

Mishka75

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door Jeep Sahara
Thank you for reposting this.
I believe this is a serious problem and Jeep U.S.A and Jeep Canada. Jeep needs to address it before an accident is caused or worse!
If you or anyone you know experienced problems with the newly designed signed soft top 2018 or up windows lifting or a full window blow like I did, please contact your dealership and Jeep U.S.A or Jeep Canada directly and the Ministry of Transportation.
I could have caused a serious accident. Clarissa from the Canadian Senior Resolution team at Jeep Canada told me that they haven’t had any issues. I told her to go online and on the Jeep forums to see that this is a problem. Jeep needs enough window issues reported or a fatal accident to do a recall.
I don’t want to live with the thought of knowing that I could cause a serious accident or death.
Make sure to report you issues or even concerns if it hasn’t happened to you.
Soft tops stretch over time in the heat.
Please feel free to repost my concerns anywhere.

Mishka75

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door Jeep Sahara
Thank you for reposting this.
I believe this is a serious problem and Jeep U.S.A and Jeep Canada. Jeep needs to address it before an accident is caused or worse!
If you or anyone you know has experienced problems with the newly designed signed soft top 2018 or up windows, lifting or a full window blow like I did, please contact your dealership and repost it. Also contact Jeep U.S.A or Jeep Canada directly and the Ministry of Transportation.
I could have caused a serious accident. Clarissa from the Canadian Senior Resolution team at Jeep Canada told me that they haven’t had any issues. I told her to go online and on the Jeep forums to see that this is a problem. Jeep needs enough window issues reported or a fatal accident to do a recall.
I don’t want to live with the thought of knowing that I could cause a serious accident or death.
Make sure to report you issues or concerns.
Please feel free to repost my concerns

Ian Gerryts from my dealership, Performance Chrysler on Ontario Street in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada immediately reached out and ordered me a new side panel after seeing my posts of concern. He was very helpful.
I’m still not comfortable driving with this style of windows.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
My wife's JLU with premium soft top almost always has the passenger tab loose at the bottom of the window, especially after driving with windows down and the Sunrider open. My JL has the basic top, and both tabs stay in (so far), even with the windows down and the Sunrider open. Kinda weird!
Sponsored