Premium soft top experiences

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I ordered with a dual top. The hard top has been on a lift in the garage since week 2. I regularly drive Houston to Dallas which means highway driving at 75+ MPH. The premium soft top is awesome, but:
  • My wife disagrees that BT phone calls from the Jeep are great. She complains it's really loud in the background when she calls me. Driving, though, calls come in loud and clear.
  • When you get caught in a Texas thunderstorm downpour, it sounds like you're driving a drum as the rain pounds down on the soft top. I mean LOUD!
But soft top safari mode is the awesomest thing ever. In fact, I'm considering selling the hard top. I know I'm probably never going to use it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
But soft top safari mode is the awesomest thing ever. In fact, I'm considering selling the hard top. I know I'm probably never going to use it.
Yea, same here. If the top makes it through the winter with no real downsides, I'm going to sell my hard top.

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
Can you run with the premium soft top 1/2 way open?...Just to the first open position....
Yes, I frequently drive with the top 1/2 open in ‘sunrider’ position.

Sponsored

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
I've mentioned this in other posts, and here it goes again... i ordered dual tops for my 2013 JK and two weeks in, I took off the hard top and put the premium soft top on. The hard top never went on again for 5 years until a week before I sold it. So this time I went soft top only. One less thing in the garage. Some folks think the soft top is noisier, I do not. Or I should say it does not bother me and does not affect my enjoying the stereo or phone calls, or conversation. To me, the greatest advantage of the soft top is the ability to decide to go topless once you're already 50 miles from home. Done it many times. Left in the morning and around 9 or 10 a.m. I'm on some back road in the country and it's top down time. stop, drop and roll... (to steal a phrase)

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I've mentioned this in other posts, and here it goes again... i ordered dual tops for my 2013 JK and two weeks in, I took off the hard top and put the premium soft top on. The hard top never went on again for 5 years until a week before I sold it. So this time I went soft top only. One less thing in the garage. Some folks think the soft top is noisier, I do not. Or I should say it does not bother me and does not affect my enjoying the stereo or phone calls, or conversation. To me, the greatest advantage of the soft top is the ability to decide to go topless once you're already 50 miles from home. Done it many times. Left in the morning and around 9 or 10 a.m. I'm on some back road in the country and it's top down time. stop, drop and roll... (to steal a phrase)
The main reason I went with the hard top was that I carry my prizes possessions with me most places (golf clubs) and always heard about people getting their soft top cut open so thieves can get in.

Looking back I wish I had gone with a base Rubicon with soft top instead of hard top Sahara. BUT, I still love it either way! Just hindsight on my first Jeep and all that 20/20 jazz.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
To add on, I do want to pick up a soft top for next summer! Ive gone topless three times since March. The first for a weekend, the second for a week and the third time almost two weeks. Never got rained on! I was always on the weather app checking when it would be time to put the top back on. Definitely want what @txroamer mentioned, the ability to go topless when you're already 50 miles from home.

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
I love my soft top. The outside noise is minimal and in no time you'll get used to it. I live in south FL and it is HOT but I'm pleasantly surprised how well it maintains temp inside. I do have my front windshield tinted I'm sure that helps. I keep the AC at the middle position when it's hot and it cools relatively quickly. The convenience of going to sun rider mode is what makes it worth it to me. If I had bought a hard top I would see myself very rarely taking the panels off, too much of a PITA. I very much enjoy driving around in sun rider mode. The only difficulty I would say would be loading things in the back. Groceries are fairly easy but having to fold up the soft top for anything large. It is not as convenient as the hard top but this is a minor inconvenience for the benefit of how fast it is to go into sun rider.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I will say the weak link with the soft top is the plastic windows. They scratch, droop, poke, and bend really easily...esp in this Texas heat. The thin plastic material is questionable at best.

With that said, I have the dual tops and doubt I'll put the hard top on any time soon.

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Premium soft top here in Atlanta. I put the top down for several days a week and then throw it up when it's going to rain in literally 5 minutes. No leaks, very quiet, better then expected. Very little to no wind noise even on the highway (for a Jeep).

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Premium soft top here in Atlanta. I put the top down for several days a week and then throw it up when it's going to rain in literally 5 minutes. No leaks, very quiet, better then expected. Very little to no wind noise even on the highway (for a Jeep).
Nice, what part of Atlanta are you in? You going to Jeepfest this weekend?
Sponsored