Premium soft top experiences

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Just when I am ready to order the Power Top, this thread shows up on a great soft top. My only reason for the power top is ease of access to the cargo area. I need to get in and out of there for all my crap for work. Let me ask something. Has anyone ever heard of a soft top with a hard top like back window, or frame? That would be perfect for my needs.
I think a trek top on the JK has something like that, but the back window/bar is really easy to open up close when you need to. Just those bottom flaps, the side flaps, and then the roll bar rolls out easily. You shouldn't have any problem depending on what exactly you're trying to fit in the back.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i live in LA area. got the basic soft top. the premium top would have been nice but i bought my jeep off the lot. i have driven in both. way more in my own jeep with the basic top. wind noise is not a big deal. even with all the back windows removed. when its HOT, the top is hot to the touch. but not too bad in the vehicle. if i had the choice, i would get the premium top. it will be that much quieter and that better at insulating. and its only like $500 more? i would have been all over that if i had the choice.
also, the premium has nice, dark tinted windows out back. the standard are clear.

Just when I am ready to order the Power Top, this thread shows up on a great soft top. My only reason for the power top is ease of access to the cargo area. I need to get in and out of there for all my crap for work. Let me ask something. Has anyone ever heard of a soft top with a hard top like back window, or frame? That would be perfect for my needs.
i took the windows off my side top a couple of weeks after we bought the jeep and they have not gone back on since. but its also super easy to pop the back window up on the soft top if you need to put big stuff in the back.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Bestop makes what you’re talking about for JK. Eventually it’ll come along for JL.

For cargo access, I find it simple. Pop out the side of the back window and the bottom bar, then rest the bar on the roof. Reverse when done. It’s not a cumbersome process, IMO.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the premium soft top and live in FL. Love it, and noise is not that bad. Will be using it year round. No regrets.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I love my pst, but during a car wash I got a bit of water in. The car wash was a little unique in the side sprayers were also rotating. This made me think that I may get some snow in during blizzards. Time will tell. Also I have a 2 for if that makes a difference

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I love my pst, but during a car wash I got a bit of water in. The car wash was a little unique in the side sprayers were also rotating. This made me think that I may get some snow in during blizzards. Time will tell. Also I have a 2 for if that makes a difference
Car Wash! Not so sure that's a good idea.

Edit: check page 136 of your manual. they say no

Angelarm35

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S Unlimited - Billet Silver
I am going to mirror all the other responses and agree....love the PST. I have no regrets, now I also haven't experienced winter in this yet so, that remains to be seen. I am a little nervous about the ice and not being able to defrost the windows, but do have the remote start and hear the heater is really good at defrosting them while it runs. So, we'll see.

RagingCANE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I live in SoCal and got the soft top only. It's great and I have driven on 100 degree days with the AC working just fine and its very quiet. I see enough hard tops on Jeeps driving around to know that it is too much of a headache to take it off and on so it stays on. I just leave the windows in the garage but will have them on when it gets cooler. Now I just need some half doors!

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
Is the premium soft top quieter or just easier to take up and down?
I use bluetooth while driving a lot, can anyone speak to bluetooth quality with the premium top on?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the premium soft top quieter or just easier to take up and down?
I use bluetooth while driving a lot, can anyone speak to bluetooth quality with the premium top on?
Bluetooth is great with the soft top. I do conf calls a lot, and am told that I’m loud and clear.

Sponsored

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
Bluetooth is great with the soft top. I do conf calls a lot, and am told that I’m loud and clear.
Thank you for the help. Do you have the standard or the premium top?
I am trying to understand if the premium is worth the extra money. If the standard does not have zipper windows and is easy enough to take down, then the major difference is any sound quality difference (and the little handle to pull the top down from the back).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the help. Do you have the standard or the premium top?
I am trying to understand if the premium is worth the extra money. If the standard does not have zipper windows and is easy enough to take down, then the major difference is any sound quality difference (and the little handle to pull the top down from the back).
Premium, and it’s definitely worth it.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@imapseudonym I have the non-premium soft top and I can say it is amazing. I have never owned a hard top so I can't really speak to the differences but I am impressed with this top. No zippers and the ease of going topless is why I always would choose a soft top. It does add a different kind of look when it is down with the tracks and door surrounds but it isn't too bad. It rides a little high in the back but I just bungee it down to the tie downs in the back and there is no issue there.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
We have one for the JK, the Trektop Pro, and I believe (not positive) we will have one for the JL.

https://www.bestop.com/trektop-pro-hybrid-soft-top/

CassieAtBestop