Sponsored

Premium Soft Top vs Regular Soft Top - differences?

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
All -

I'm currently in D status (yay!) for my JLUS with Premium Soft Top. At our local dealer, they only had regular soft tops, so I have test driven those a few times and tried to open/close them many a time. I ordered the Premium soft top not only for the fabric upgrade differences, but also for the alleged (from Jeep.com build site) "... spring-assisted mechanism helps raise and lower the soft top.". So I've never even seen or felt or operated a Premium Soft Top, but that's what I'm getting. LOL.

For those of you with them, have you compared to the regular? Is it truly much easier to open and close? 1 person job? How's the quality of material difference? How's the wind noise - better isolation compared to regular? Anything else?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
The premium soft top is a thicker material since it is fabric and not vinyl. It should be a little quieter than the regular too also. I think it just looks better since it is very black, and it is also easier to clean. The inside is also black instead of grey on the regular top.

Fabric is also easier to fold so opening and closing the top is easier. Feels nicer too.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
The premium soft top is a thicker material since it is fabric and not vinyl. It should be a little quieter than the regular too also. I think it just looks better since it is very black, and it is also easier to clean. The inside is also black instead of grey on the regular top.

Fabric is also easier to fold so opening and closing the top is easier. Feels nicer too.
Thank you for the response. I didn’t know that the inside surface of the regular was gray. I don’t think I noticed that on the ones I tested. That will be a plus too if it’s easier to clean. Is the premium easier to open because of additional springs, etc?

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Thank you for the response. I didn’t know that the inside surface of the regular was gray. I don’t think I noticed that on the ones I tested. That will be a plus too if it’s easier to clean. Is the premium easier to open because of additional springs, etc?
Yes it is smoother and also easier to fold.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Premium. I've had Bestop products on my Jeeps in some form or another for the past 20 years. Seeing as they make the Premium top I'll go that route to get Bestop quality.

Sponsored

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded

Hi, I ordered ours with the dual top. All white like your picture. I live in Tampa. Have yet to see a brand new Rubicon. I have only seen 2 Saraha's. 1 Red and 1 White. Are you going to order different Rails?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Premium top is a twill material and a little thicker. I can’t compare as I have always ran the standard top. With the changes to the top on the JL I don’t think it matters which top you have it is much easier to drop the top and remove the windows than the JK. I needed a little help or had to run around the JK, I can stand on one side and open it up on the JL.

I guess exterior noise would be dampened better with the premium top and maybe radio sound would be better, I am sure the ticker material probably keeps heat/AC inside better as well. Since both tops use the same door surrounds the areas for wind noise would be the same.

I have never had any issues with the standard top, maybe some day I will upgrade to a premium.

The only thing I don’t like about the JL is the front door surrounds are a little short so when it rains the water drains about 4” from the front of the a pillar and gets in the Jeep, the JK surrounds were a little longer.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium top is a twill material and a little thicker. I can’t compare as I have always ran the standard top. With the changes to the top on the JL I don’t think it matters which top you have it is much easier to drop the top and remove the windows than the JK. I needed a little help or had to run around the JK, I can stand on one side and open it up on the JL.

I guess exterior noise would be dampened better with the premium top and maybe radio sound would be better, I am sure the ticker material probably keeps heat/AC inside better as well. Since both tops use the same door surrounds the areas for wind noise would be the same.

I have never had any issues with the standard top, maybe some day I will upgrade to a premium.

The only thing I don’t like about the JL is the front door surrounds are a little short so when it rains the water drains about 4” from the front of the a pillar and gets in the Jeep, the JK surrounds were a little longer.
Thanks for the info... I think we have the same setup (once I get my order), except the kind of soft top.

This is my first Jeep ever, so I am not familiar with the water runout on the JK. Can you elaborate on what you've seen in the JL? Is it an issue per se, or just an inconvenience?

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the info... I think we have the same setup (once I get my order), except the kind of soft top.

This is my first Jeep ever, so I am not familiar with the water runout on the JK. Can you elaborate on what you've seen in the JL? Is it an issue per se, or just an inconvenience?
Inconvience, I haven’t found any leaks in my top so far and we have had some bad storms in Louisiana over the past couple of weeks. I didn’t even pay attention when I was ordering or I may have tried the premium top this time.

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Hi, I ordered ours with the dual top. All white like your picture. I live in Tampa. Have yet to see a brand new Rubicon. I have only seen 2 Saraha's. 1 Red and 1 White. Are you going to order different Rails?
Whenever TNT Customs makes their JL sliders I will. I had them on my JKU and they were amazing.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I do wish they'd let you order the premium soft top on Sport models.

Oh well.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do wish they'd let you order the premium soft top on Sport models.

Oh well.
Maybe I’m missing something, but I ordered a Sport S with premium. Do you mean literally Sport vs Sport S?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Maybe I’m missing something, but I ordered a Sport S with premium. Do you mean literally Sport vs Sport S?
Yes. You can't get it with a Sport. :(
Sponsored