Sponsored

Premium Soft Top vs. Standard Soft Top

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well it could be said I'm older and could be considered left for dead myself, so I guess me or this thread should be put out to pasture. I see a subject that I have actual first hand experience with, with a question that I know the correct answer to, I answer it. I figure if me or the thread is old and pointless it will be left for dead and that will be the end of it.

Sorry to brush the dust off and disturb the cutting edge tech of today's much more pertinent subjects like whats the latest cool app or radio size, or who has a bug up their azz.
Apology accepted.
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I actually read this Left For Dead Thread, and found it Informative, so let Lazarus do his Thing
That is why I answered it. I get asked all the time about whats up with the two type soft tops.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I upgraded from the standard top to the premium top about three years ago. I could see wear marks in the vinyl material from constantly opening and closing it. I could also see the stitching on the cross rails starting to come undone. My premium top doesnt show any of this.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I upgraded from the standard top to the premium top about three years ago. I could see wear marks in the vinyl material from constantly opening and closing it. I could also see the stitching on the cross rails starting to come undone. My premium top doesnt show any of this.
In this picture you will see a nine year old Bestop Premium, A 4 year old OEM premium, and a 2 week old one. The evidence speaks for itself for overall performance.

20230102_134433.jpg

Sponsored

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Is there much of a difference in quality, thickness and durability of the Premium Twill soft top vs the standard Soft Top? I have an opportunity to purchase a used Premium top. My 2018 JL has the standard top right now.
Yes, the twill is far superior. I've had both and would never go back to the lower top. The twill top has held up well over the last 5 years, it's much quieter and holds the AC and Heat better. The biggest difference is that it doesn't strain at seams as easy as the standard top.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
No issues with the standard top, and I run it year-round including the brutal Las Vegas Summers (110+). Like anything else, if you take care of it, it will take care of you, and the standard material is easier to clean and maintain IMHO. I religiously apply the Bestop vinyl protectant after every wash, and ensure that the fabric doesn't get pinched when folded back in the Sunrider position or lowered completely. These simple precautions go a long way towards prolonging the life of any soft top, and the standard is no different. Highly recommend it.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No issues with the standard top, and I run it year-round including the brutal Las Vegas Summers (110+). Like anything else, if you take care of it, it will take care of you, and the standard material is easier to clean and maintain IMHO. I religiously apply the Bestop vinyl protectant after every wash, and ensure that the fabric doesn't get pinched when folded back in the Sunrider position or lowered completely. These simple precautions go a long way towards prolonging the life of any soft top, and the standard is no different. Highly recommend it.
You are 100% correct on the taking care of them. Many don't and complain about falling apart in just a few years. Pertains to most everything.

Side note: Do you still have that Red CJ-5 pictured in your avatar? Its stunning IMHO.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% correct on the taking care of them. Many don't and complain about falling apart in just a few years. Pertains to most everything.

Side note: Do you still have that Red CJ-5 pictured in your avatar? Its stunning IMHO.
Yes, I just don't understand how people spend good (perhaps even exorbitant) money for things and never bother to do basic maintenance or even read the owner's manual. To each his/her own, but I keep my vehicles for a long time, and this might (hopefully) be the last Wrangler I ever buy.

Thanks for the compliment on my beloved CJ too. A little more history about her here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/1980-cj-5.1842/
Unfortunately, I had to sell her so I could purchase my JL, but she's in a good home and will be enjoyed by another family for years to come. I miss her dearly, but my 2-door Sport is obviously better suited for longer road trips and the few creature comforts I need as I become, um...more seasoned!

That's a good-looking Wrangler family in your photo too...love them all. Enjoy and happy Jeepin'!

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I just don't understand how people spend good (perhaps even exorbitant) money for things and never bother to do basic maintenance or even read the owner's manual. To each his/her own, but I keep my vehicles for a long time, and this might (hopefully) be the last Wrangler I ever buy.

Thanks for the compliment on my beloved CJ too. A little more history about her here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/1980-cj-5.1842/
Unfortunately, I had to sell her so I could purchase my JL, but she's in a good home and will be enjoyed by another family for years to come. I miss her dearly, but my 2-door Sport is obviously better suited for longer road trips and the few creature comforts I need as I become, um...more seasoned!

That's a good-looking Wrangler family in your photo too...love them all. Enjoy and happy Jeepin'!
No explanation necessary on the term seasoned......
When I went into the service I swore when I got out I was going to get me one of those CJ5s. Have always loved them. Yours is/was a true beauty.

We do have three at this time because when my Grandson gets out of the Army I'm going to give him the JLUR. For now I drive the 13 as a DD and I got the JLR so my wife has a solid safe DD. She and I both love Jeeps and all the things we do with them.
I must say Two doors are the Bomb!
Really happy we went that route . I'm certain it will be my last one anyway.
My wife shares....lol.
Be safe sir!

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No explanation necessary on the term seasoned......
When I went into the service I swore when I got out I was going to get me one of those CJ5s. Have always loved them. Yours is/was a true beauty.

We do have three at this time because when my Grandson gets out of the Army I'm going to give him the JLUR. For now I drive the 13 as a DD and I got the JLR so my wife has a solid safe DD. She and I both love Jeeps and all the things we do with them.
I must say Two doors are the Bomb!
Really happy we went that route . I'm certain it will be my last one anyway.
My wife shares....lol.
Be safe sir!
Well, then...as a fellow soldier, I know you're very familiar with vehicle PMCS! Guess that was ingrained in me from my Army and Coast Guard days, and it clearly applies in the civilian world too.

After decades of CJ and TJ ownership, a 4-door feels weird to me, but I don't disparage it. That config is exactly what many people need these days, so I totally understand it. In fact, if we had to downsize to just one vehicle, it would probably be a JLU.

In any case, I didn't intend to hijack this thread with other topics, but appreciate the compliments and hope you and your family have many safe and enjoyable Jeepin' experiences ahead!

Thanks for your and your grandson's service. :flag:

Last edited:

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
There's a reason the standard top only has a 5 year warranty and the twill is lifetime

BESTOP® LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

• Trektop® Pro Twill Fabric Top
  • Trektop® Ultra Twill Fabric Top
  • Supertop® Ultra Twill Fabric Top
  • Supertop® NX Twill Fabric Top
  • Sunrider® for Hardtop Twill Fabric Top
  • Halftop® Twill Fabric Top
  • Halftop® Conversion Kit Twill Fabric Top
  • Replace-a-T op™ Twill Fabric Top
  • Floor & Cargo Liners
  • Trektop® NX Glide Twill Fabric Top
  • Trektop® NX Plus Twill Fabric Top