Premium cloth or leather

Premium cloth or leather

• Total voters

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I ordered my still to be built JLR with cloth seats for durability. I did that without seeing interior options in person. Subsequently, I was able to get inside a new JLUS with leather seats, and to be honest, it made me regret my decision. It wasn't enough to cancel my order and go back to the end of the line, but it looked really good.

However, now that I see these pictures, I think I'll be quite happy with the cloth seats. They look way better than the cloth seats in my 2010 JK and I expect they will still look good years later, which has not been my experience with leather.
Sponsored

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
One of the reasons I’m jumping to a JL is how much I dislike my ‘15 JKUR. Especially the interior (ugly cloth and crappy plastic). I had an ‘07 Rubicon that was fantastic (the YES fabric) but the cloth in my ‘15 is simply awful. Looks dirty and cheap all the time. So leather in my JLUR (assuming I end up with the one arriving for me). I did see the cloth on an S. Not sure I was aware there was a difference between that and the cloth on the Rubi - pretty unknowledgeable sales staff at my dealer. But my experience with my ‘15 is plenty sufficient to push me to leather for my next Jeep. Plus it looked absolutely incredible. Like truly incredible in the new JL interior. Just my opinion and will update after I get some time in it. Good luck!

Edit to add I just saw my vote tied it at 137

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development
A week and half into ownership of my JL and I love the cloth seats. I went with cloth because I would be leaving my top off a lot in the summer and didn't want to burn myself every time I got back in. The seat heater on the cloth is amazing, almost instant heat transfer when you turn it on. I think this is the first vehicle I have had cloth on in over 10 years and am happy so far.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
I was going for cloth, but when we test drove a leather Rubi, my wife said were getting leather!
Looks just like her BMW, but softer. I always do as I'm told... :rock:

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm very undecided, I have leather now in my JKU but can't help but wonder if I would prefer the premium cloth this time around! I think I would like the cool to touch seats during the summer, I don't mind the leather in the winter though. I'm in the Toronto area and it doesn't get that hot all the time, so its hard to decide. I really like the look of the leather and red accents but the cloth looks great too!

I'm having trouble with this and the painted fenders but I'm leaning towards monotone there like my current JK. :)

Sponsored

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Just got back from picking up mine. Will update as I get some time on the leather. Definitely prefer the leather to the Rubicon cloth I was able to check out on another Jeep at the dealer. The cloth felt way too similar to my ‘15 to want it - time will tell though. And definitely interested in what others are experiencing.

TxTech27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Mercedes C300, Ford F150
I'm debating this too, I live in Texas where it obviously gets rather hot. I've always had black leather in my cars and trucks but have never had a vehicle where I can take the top off so that direct sun on the seats has me worried. I definitely prefer the look of the leather especially the accent stitching. The cloth looks pretty good to my eye as well though. However I'm wondering if I got leather and seat covers for when the top is off will that help with the heat of the seats or not really?

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I ordered my still to be built JLR with cloth seats for durability. I did that without seeing interior options in person. Subsequently, I was able to get inside a new JLUS with leather seats, and to be honest, it made me regret my decision. It wasn't enough to cancel my order and go back to the end of the line, but it looked really good.

However, now that I see these pictures, I think I'll be quite happy with the cloth seats. They look way better than the cloth seats in my 2010 JK and I expect they will still look good years later, which has not been my experience with leather.

I have to be honest when I posted the pictures of the Rubicon cloth seats it looked awesome but when I saw it in person and live pictures I did not like it I subsequently ordered leather. It just looks better, Especially when I spent $54,000. And I think you get the fold-down backseat cupholder armrest if you need that kind of thing.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
For the price they are charging for low quality leather you can get better with Katzkin after purchase. I ordered a Punk'n Orange JLU and I am considering having these Katzkin seats:

1514487225K1319-100.jpg

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I have now had 5 days in my JL, equaling about 300 miles. Some of that with the kids. Took the boys to meet for dinner last night with the freedom tops off for the first time. After 1 week in my JK it would look pretty splotchy and dirty. JL leather is spotless. Granted brand new, etc. but my experience thus far (a week was long enough in my 2nd cloth JK to realize I wasn’t happy with it).

Sponsored

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
I guess I'm the exact opposite. I hate leather in these things. I couldn't wait to ditch my leather seats in my JK because I sloshed around on them offroad and never felt secure off camber. I ordered my JL with the cloth seats so hopefully they don't look too terrible in person as some have stated here.

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Going with Black Leather, but do like the look of the tan, Over the years I've found dark leather to hold up the best and show the least amount of wear. The cloths looks nice, but the first time one of my kids spillls a drink it won't look so nice.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06

I have to be honest when I posted the pictures of the Rubicon cloth seats it looked awesome but when I saw it in person and live pictures I did not like it I subsequently ordered leather. It just looks better, Especially when I spent $54,000. And I think you get the fold-down backseat cupholder armrest if you need that kind of thing.
I changed my mind as well. I never did see a JL with cloth seats, but I came across another one in leather and it just looks so good in person. My 2dr JLR order was kicked back from D1 to D two weeks ago, which bummed me out. However, as a small consolation, it meant the order was available to be amended. I made the change to leather and changed the colour from Billet Silver to Bright White after concluding I can never own a grey car.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I thought about it for a while and looked over my current JKUR with leather and its still spotless so I ordered my JLUR with black leather too.
Sponsored