Topless Leather VS Topless Cloth

jeff72034

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
I'm thinking of getting my first Jeep Wrangler. Part of the allure is a topless vehicle that will be okay if it gets rained in (am I correct?).

I've noticed that several people who order their JL are choosing cloth over leather. Why?
It just seems counterintuitive that anyone would rather have cloth seats since you can't simply wipe them off after a rain.
Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, neither material is going to last forever in rain/sun/rain environments I wouldn't think. I have leather because that is my preference, but it's not that high quality and I can see replacing them all in a few years without question.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I got leather and 4 of these.
3E362749-740D-4A3A-9235-D04D3946A74D.jpeg

They are fantastic, cheap, towel material and I throw them in the laundry when I need to.

Sponsored

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
In my opinion if your jeep is a mall crawler with only a hard top.
Go for the leather.

If you have a soft top or dual top with the roof off most of the summer than definitely get cloth seats.

You will roast like a pepper in leather. As if you were in a sauna.

Just my opinion.
However it is your jeep.
Do as you wish.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would not let it get rained on with the top off regularly. In theory, yes it can handle some but lots of stories end with a bummer after getting rained on.

Reactions: VNT

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Remember, perforated leather will get the seat cushion soaked to. Plus the hide gets wet on both sides. Not good.

Sheep hide with wool seat covers feel great in cold or heat. They don’t look cool though and they would be nasty when wet.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
both have their pros and cons, and the cloth will save you $1700, but after sitting in both cabins, the leather was a no brainer must have for my JLUR build....

it is all personal preference ....the leather looks and feels much better and is easier to clean and no worriers with spill stains....you can always get some seat covers if you plan on leaving out in the sun with its top off or just keep a couple beach towels handy.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I wanted cloth for my 1st JL because:
  • Austin sun with the top off, didn't want to burn my legs on the seat or have that feeling of my skin sticking to it.
  • Didn't want scratches and punctures from my dogs' claws. I figured worse case, if they ruin the seats, I'd rather it be cheaper ones vs paying a premium for them.

Well, I regretted it. My 2nd JL I went their "leather-trimmed" $1600 option, which isn't real leather seats, but most wouldn't know or care, as it feels great and has been awesome, because:
  • No dog hair problems, the cloth seats were dog hair magnets and a nightmare to get the hair off. Anyone who says otherwise must have a different kind of dog. My buddy who owns an Austin detail company even said they were horrible and you'll find posts about it here. It's like it weaves itself into the fabric and a roller or vacuum takes tons of passes to catch it.
  • No "damp" seat issues. I get soaked on leg day at the gym and on runs, and hrs later my daughter would notice the damp seat (and be grossed out) even when I put a towel down. The leather-trimmed just wipes right off and you can't tell even in the slightest my drenched sweaty ass was sitting there.
  • No more dirt issues. My dogs are my life and we hit the trails and run a lot. The light brown clay/dirt was getting ground into the dark cloth seats to the point of scrubbing it with carpet cleaner/brushes, from their dirty paws. Again, it just wipes off the leather-trimmed and they're sealed, so nothing is absorbed. They seem to be maintenance free. Also, those damn burrs from the weeds would get picked up by the cloth seats from their fur, or my clothes while on the trail. Then I'd go on a date and one of us would have a bur stuck to us lol.
  • I've had zero problems with any scratches or scuffs from the leather-trimmed with the dog claws like I had worried with leather. They're 65lbs and very wild... so far so good lol.

I haven't had the "hot seat" issue yet, but I opted for the tan leather-trimmed, to help with that and not get the red dash.

I'm sure others have their reasons to go with leather or cloth, but these are mine, from my experience.
Sponsored